Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In Hindsight Picks Were Made

jbaron04

jerry hughes 2010

Overview

Hughes is a defensive end that has been the most disruptive defender for the Horned Frogs over the past two years. He is a tweener (size and athleticism) at the next level and may fit as an undersized end in a 4-3 scheme or an inexperienced outside backer in an odd front. Hughes is best attacking the line of scrimmage rushing the passer or penetrating to disrupt the run. He uses his hands well to control blockers on the edge. He also shows an expansive pass rush package. Hughes has dropped in zone coverage at times but is most comfortable with his hand on the ground. He is a solid tackler in the open field utilizing great balance and body positioning. Regardless of where Hughes aligns at the next level he should contribute as a rookie due to his instincts, toughness, athleticism and energy.

Strengths

Can’t help but notice Hughes’ productivity as one of college football’s top pass rushers over the last few seasons. He’s a tough, instinctive player who does a good job getting blockers off his body. Highly athletic talent who displays range to track down running plays on the back side. Durable. Has an expansive repertoire of pass rush moves.

Weaknesses

Main concern with Hughes is he’s a true tweener prospect, in terms of both size and speed, at this point. Only possesses adequate height. Lacks some bulk when trying to hold the edge against the run.

Grade

Pick Analysis: The Colts' fortify their pass rush with the addition of Jerry Hughes. Although Indianapolis retains Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, it still needed another rusher to alleviate some of the pressure on the duo. In Hughes, the Colts get a hard-working edge rusher with outstanding quickness and burst. The Colts have the luxury of slowly integrating Hughes into the lineup, and can groom him into a starter after a year or two.

donald brown 2009

Overview

Brown will not only be missed on the field for the Huskies, but also off it. He had become the university's "poster child" for his work within the community and recently began work on organizing a mentoring program for high school players from the New Jersey Shore League that produced Brown and Georgia's Knowshon Moreno. He also unveiled plans to present the Donald Brown Player-to-Player Leadership Conference back in his home state.

Ask anyone on the Connecticut staff to name the team's hardest worker and it sounds like a choir with everyone singing the praises for Brown. Ask any teammate who they would go to for mentoring or extra help and the first name you hear is Brown's. "Donnie understands the importance of giving back and how to prepare for life after football," his former head coach at Red Bank Catholic High School, Frank Edgerly, recently said. "He has a great perspective on life."

During his prep days, Brown was named first-team all-division, All-Monmouth County and All-Jersey Shore, in addition to earning second-team all-state honors as a senior. The Divisional Offensive MVP and team captain rushed for 2,032 yards and scored 27 touchdowns that year. The recipient of the All-American Scholar Award, he also lettered six times on the school's indoor and outdoor track teams.

Brown enrolled at Connecticut in 2005, where he was the top offensive player on the Huskies' scout team while redshirting that season. In 2006, Brown earned All-Big East Conference recognition, taking over as the team's starting tailback for four games after Terry Caulley was injured.

He led the team with 896 yards and seven touchdowns on 161 carries (5.6 avg.) in 12 games. He ran for 118 yards and two touchdowns on just nine attempts in his college debut vs. Rhode Island and totaled 205 yards rushing vs. Pittsburgh, the 14th time a Connecticut player totaled more than 200 yards on the ground in a game.

Brown was primed for a banner sophomore campaign, but after starting the first five games, he suffered an ankle sprain vs. Akron and when he returned, he was used in a reserve role. Undaunted, he still piled up 821 yards on 170 runs (4.8 avg.) that included eight touchdowns.

In 2008, Brown won his starting job back by default, as Andre Dixon, who took advantage of Brown's 2007 injury to take over as the Huskies' starting tailback, suffered the same fate in fall camp. This time, Brown would not give the job back. He became the first player in school history to lead the nation in rushing, averaging 160.23 yards per game. The nation's only 2,000-yard rusher set school and Big East Conference season records with 2,083 yards on 367 carries (5.7 avg.). He also scored on 18 rushes and finished third on the squad with 21 receptions, good for 125 yards (6.0 avg.).

Strengths

Positives: Compact build. Runs with a low center of gravity. Good speed to and through the hole. Best attributes might be his vision and stop-and-start ability. Shifty runner who can slide in and out of the hole at the point of attack and hit the seam before it really opens. Deceptively fast once he gets to the second level. Good balance to appear to lean one way to deceive the oncoming safety, only to bounce the other. At least adequate straight-line speed to gain yardage in chunks. Soft hands out of the backfield and an alert receiver. High effort player. Negatives: A bit narrow in his shoulders and might lack the frame to add much weight. Might lack the bulk and leg drive to be a true bell-cow runner at the NFL level. Lacks elite speed to breakaway from NFL defenders. Marginal size and strength as a pass blocker. Struggles of past Connecticut backs to translate their collegiate success to the NFL will force some teams to pause on draft day, especially considering the role left tackle William Beatty -- himself a first-day prospect -- had on Brown's success.

Injury Report

2007: Suffered a left ankle/foot sprain vs. Akron (9/29)...Forced to wear a protective boot for two weeks, sitting out the next game vs. Virginia (10/13).

Pick Analysis: The elusive runner from Connecticut has outstanding speed, quickness and vision. He excels at running between the tackles and is an ideal fit in the Colts' zone-based running game. With Joseph Addai suffering from durability issues, Brown could blossom as a rotational player

mike pollack 2008

Year G/GS 2004 8/4 2005 12/6 2006 13/13 Career

33/23

Overview

Perhaps the strongest and toughest blocker in the Pac-10 Conference, the Sun Devils relied on the leader of their line to stabilize the offense up front.

Despite having five starters return to the offensive line in 2007, the unit struggled, with Pollak being the lone bright spot while ASU quarterbacks were sacked 55 times.

One of the top centers in the nation, Pollak improved significantly in each of his four seasons on the field at ASU. He follows a lineage of accomplished athletes at the center position in recent years for the Sun Devils, including All-Pac-10 Conference honorees Grayling Love, Drew Hodgdon and Scott Peters.

The versatile and powerful interior lineman performed extremely well and was named to the 2007 Rimington Trophy Watch List, an award annually presented to the nation's top center. He was awarded the Tim Landers Iron Man Award, given to the Sun Devil with exemplary work ethic in the weight room, on the field or in the community. Pollak also won the Cecil Bono Team Captain Award and the Pat Tillman Award at the end of his collegiate career. He excelled in the classroom, where he was one of eight Sun Devils on the 2007 roster and one of five ASU offensive linemen to have earned his undergraduate degree prior to his final season.

Pollak attended Corona del Sol High School, where he earned two votes in The Long Beach Press-Telegram's "Best In The West" rating. He was a member of The Tacoma News Tribune's "Western 100" and rated as the eighth-best prospect in the state of Arizona by Super Prep. He added All-Region honors from Prep Star and ranked as the sixth-best offensive lineman in the West by PacWestFootball.com.

Pollak was named first-team All-Arizona by The Arizona Republic, as he also collected first-team All-City and All-Conference recognition as a senior. That year, he graded 92% for pass blocking, 86% for run blocking and generated 67 knockdowns, picking up Super All-State first-team honors on offense from the Phoenix Metro Football Magazine.

The versatile lineman played offensive guard and defensive tackle, but had not played football before coming to Corona. He was also a standout baseball pitcher, earning first-team All-Region, All-East Valley, All-Conference and honorable mention All-State accolades as a junior, playing three seasons on the baseball diamond. He also served as the captain of his baseball and football teams.

Pollak enrolled at Arizona State in 2003, spending the season competing on the scout team as an offensive guard and center. When All-Pac-10 center Drew Hodgdon was injured in fall camp, Pollak stepped in and started the team's first four games at center. He contributed to a passing offense that led the Pac-10 and ranked fifth in the nation with an average of 317.3 yards per game.

As a sophomore, Pollak played in all 12 games, starting the team's final five contests (started six total) for All-Pac-10 honoree Grayling Love, who was sidelined due to an injury. In the games in which he started, ASU averaged 510.7 yards per game in total offense and scored an average of 36.0 points per game.

In 2006, Pollak was named All-Pac-10 Conference second-team. He was chosen the team's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman and earned Hard Hat Player honors for his efforts in the team's offseason strength and conditioning program for the third-straight season. With him in the pivot, ASU averaged 367.3 yards per game in total offense.

The Sun Devils won their first eight games under new head coach Dennis Erickson, as Pollak garnered first-team All-Pac-10 Conference honors. He allowed four of the team's 55 quarterback sacks, but generally did a steady job of protecting QB Rudy Carpenter in the pocket. ASU would go on to average 399.6 yards per game. The center would post 80 knockdowns, coming up with an impressive 15 touchdown-resulting blocks.

Strengths

Positives: Looks a little soft in the midsection, but shows good upper-body thickness and strong hands to generate the punishing jolt to rock defenders back on their heels...Has natural strength, rather than ripped muscle tone, but has been a weight-room award winner for the Sun Devils in each of his last four seasons...Shows good awareness to stunts and games, coming off the snap with good desire and intent to control and finish...Best when asked to widen the rush lanes, as he stays lower in his pads firing off the ball than when retreating in pass protection...Has very good timed speed (does not translate in the open field when he takes poor angles into the second level)...All-out battler in one-on-one situations and has a good grasp of the playbook, making all of the blocking calls up front...Good team leader whose work ethic is emulated by the squad's younger players... Must do a better job adjusting to counter moves, but comes off the snap with arms raised, ready to lock on and establish leverage and position...Plays on his feet and uses his hands effectively to redirect the defender with authority...Doesn't explode with his hips, but can generate decent pop on contact...Made strides as a senior in attempts to unlock his hips and power through his low blocks (needs to develop better consistency)...Can shock defenders once he shoots his hands and has the reach to extend in his blocks and steer (good mauler)...Consistent in gaining movement when he keeps his hands active...On drive blocks, he works hard to position and wall off (struggles vs. slants and counters)...Not really a road grader, but gets good movement through proper knee bend...Is adequate at reaching his block point on the short pull (will get overaggressive and struggle to engage defenders in the second level)...When he keeps his pads down, he is very effective in setting, sliding and executing a hand jolt to protect the pocket (just lacks lateral recovery ability)...Still working on improving it more, but he can mirror well when staying with his man in the short area...Anticipates switches well and easily picks up the blitz. Negatives: Despite his impressive weight room numbers, he has only adequate muscle tone and a soft midsection...Generates efficient initial quickness into the defender lining up over his head, but struggles with foot quickness and agility to engage a slanting defensive tackle or to quickly adjust to a counter move across his face...Also struggles some locating a moving linebacker when working in space...Needs to demonstrate better consistency in sustaining blocks (must hold them longer rather than slip off after the initial hit)...Better playing vs. a classic 4-3 defense, as he does not have the anchor to sustain vs. nose guards (can get pushed back by defenders lining over his helmet)...Has good straight-line speed on pulls and traps, but is slow to reach the second level and takes poor angles in attempts to finish off linebackers (had just five downfield blocks as a senior)...Has a strong base, but gets too narriow and, when he stands tall, defenders can push him back into the pocket...Marginal deep snapper and is not effective on his shotgun snaps. Compares To: JEFF FAINE-New Orleans...Both centers have impressive raw power and good initial quickness, but struggle with movement, especially vs. a slanting defensive tackle. Pollak has a very strong hand punch, but can be pushed back into the pocket by a physical nose guard lining up over his helmet, as he tends to get a little bit narrow in his base. He is efficient on the short pull, but when asked to get out and neutralize linebackers, he looks slow and takes poor angles into the second level. His best asset is his hands, as he uses them to generate a strong punch and when he can cleanly latch on, he can gain leverage and move the defender away from the action.

Injury Report

No injuries reported.

Pick Analysis: Pollack is an athletic lineman, who projects to play center for the Colts. Though he won't start, Pollack will have an outstanding mentor in Pro Bowler Jeff Saturday. Pollack, who is actually a bit taller than Saturday, has the quickness and technique to be successful at the next level.

in hindsight all were one of the if not the top prospect in their positions at the time

Edited by jbaron04

Top prospects? I hadn't heard of any of them until the Colts drafted them. Those write ups are just a way to put a positive spin on each pick. One that I saw that you left out was Anthony Gonzalez, he's the ultimate bust if I ever saw one.

And just think, we could've had Beanie Wells, Lesean McCoy, Javon Ringer, or Shonn Green the year we took Brown.

Hindsight is making my brain hurt.

Top prospects? I hadn't heard of any of them until the Colts drafted them. Those write ups are just a way to put a positive spin on each pick. One that I saw that you left out was Anthony Gonzalez, he's the ultimate bust if I ever saw one.

And just think, we could've had Beanie Wells, Lesean McCoy, Javon Ringer, or Shonn Green the year we took Brown.

Hindsight is making my brain hurt.

You must not read the pre-draft analysis sites, such as walterfootball.com. Those sites put up extensive analysis each year on the top college prospects and the information from the OP matches what was listed on those sites prior to the draft in the years listed. I clearly remember Pollak listed as the top college center that year and when the Colts drafted him it was considered a steal.

At least one pre-draft poll had the Colts taking Brown 2009.

A college player with no history of injury, such as Gonzo can't be considered a bust when he get hurt in the pros. Gonzo is a perfect example because he had two very good years for us before the injuries started.

The only recent draftee that I consider a total bust was Ugoh because many of the pre-draft evaluations didn't question his talent, but his drive and intensity - exactly what proved true in his brief career.

Hughes is still a question.

You must not read the pre-draft analysis sites, such as walterfootball.com. Those sites put up extensive analysis each year on the top college prospects and the information from the OP matches what was listed on those sites prior to the draft in the years listed. I clearly remember Pollak listed as the top college center that year and when the Colts drafted him it was considered a steal.

At least one pre-draft poll had the Colts taking Brown 2009.

A college player with no history of injury, such as Gonzo can't be considered a bust when he get hurt in the pros. Gonzo is a perfect example because he had two very good years for us before the injuries started.

The only recent draftee that I consider a total bust was Ugoh because many of the pre-draft evaluations didn't question his talent, but his drive and intensity - exactly what proved true in his brief career.

Hughes is still a question.

If Gonzo didn't have the injury he wouldn't have the "bust" label.....Hughes, and Brown are starting to fall into that label because they are failing to produce in the NFL.....Ugoh is the true bust of our recent draft picks.....

My point is that those are all picks that I would have made using online scouting reports or reading Mel Kiper. I expect more from the team.

I literally made both those picks using an online draft sorter when the Colts picked.

Edited by GoGoColts

Everyone (including people on this forum) loved the Hughes pick at the time. He actually contributed in the last game. He's still got a shot to develop.

My point is that those are all picks that I would have made using online scouting reports or reading Mel Kiper. I expect more from the team.

I literally made both those picks using an online draft sorter when the Colts picked.

That is true. He was widely touted as being the best pass rusher of that class, but somehow he dropped all the way to the bottom of the first. Maybe the other teams actually did their homework?

Everyone (including people on this forum) loved the Hughes pick at the time. He actually contributed in the last game. He's still got a shot to develop.

Not sure I loved the Hughes pick, but I did like it. I still would like to see him as a blitzing OLB. This season is lost so why not give it a shot. He might develop into a Pat Swilling-type sack artist.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 14, 2011 - Unrelated reference to Andrew Luck
Hidden by Nadine, October 14, 2011 - Unrelated reference to Andrew Luck

I'm sensing some underlying "Don't draft Luck" propaganda here....

In what will be my new tradition when Andrew Luck pops into a non-Andrew Luck thread...

gallery_46_11_88257.gif

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 14, 2011 - Unrelated reference to Andrew Luck
Hidden by Nadine, October 14, 2011 - Unrelated reference to Andrew Luck

In what will be my new tradition when Andrew Luck pops into a non-Andrew Luck thread...

gallery_46_11_88257.gif

That's awesome, but if you could get this Luck popping through there it would be off the meter epicness:

28i1000.jpg

Main concern with Hughes is he’s a true tweener prospect, in terms of both size and speed, at this point. Only possesses adequate height. Lacks some bulk when trying to hold the edge against the run.

Pick Analysis: The Colts' fortify their pass rush with the addition of Jerry Hughes. Although Indianapolis retains Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, it still needed another rusher to alleviate some of the pressure on the duo. In Hughes, the Colts get a hard-working edge rusher with outstanding quickness and burst. The Colts have the luxury of slowly integrating Hughes into the lineup, and can groom him into a starter after a year or two.

"The elusive runner from Connecticut has outstanding speed, quickness and vision. He excels at running between the tackles and is an ideal fit in the Colts' zone-based running game. With Joseph Addai suffering from durability issues, Brown could blossom as a rotational player"

"Pollack is an athletic lineman, who projects to play center for the Colts. Though he won't start, Pollack will have an outstanding mentor in Pro Bowler Jeff Saturday. Pollack, who is actually a bit taller than Saturday, has the quickness and technique to be successful at the next level."

I highlighted what I feel are some key points on these guys based on those scouting reports.

Hughes is/was a tweener, and should have never been picked. I remember my jaw hitting the floor with this pick, and turning off the draft. I think everyone has accepted this.

Brown I remember thinking it was a worthless pick, but I was somewhat excited about it. In hindsight however, what a waste, he must have drilled his interview, and Polian must of liked him bc he has nice character, a "Colts guy".

Pollack, I feel got the short end. He was a center and the Colts drafted him to be something else, how could anyone be surprised when it didn't come up all roses. Its like wanting to buy a pick-up truck, and instead buying an SUV, because you can just saw the roof off. Then take offense when it looks like crap.

Just some of the thoughts that came to my head when I was reading thru those scouting tidbits.

No I didn't like the pick. I actually was pulling for us to draft Rodger Saffold and we see how he is turning out right now. I feel like this Jerry Hughes pick was one of the many impulsive Polian picks. We just came off the SB and Dwight Freeney did not play at 100% because of his ankle (if I remember right). Yeah, Freeney hurt did hurt us but it was not the reason why we lost. At that time, I felt going with the O-Line was a good pick because we would be building for the future.

No I didn't like the pick. I actually was pulling for us to draft Rodger Saffold and we see how he is turning out right now. I feel like this Jerry Hughes pick was one of the many impulsive Polian picks. We just came off the SB and Dwight Freeney did not play at 100% because of his ankle (if I remember right). Yeah, Freeney hurt did hurt us but it was not the reason why we lost. At that time, I felt going with the O-Line was a good pick because we would be building for the future.

Yeah, "everybody" did not like the Hughes pick. I actually got blasted on another forum for saying that it was a stupid pick. I actually wanted a DT but would have been satisfied with an OT.