Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason's Dream 2012 Mock Draft

In this I'm assuming the colts wind up with the #1 pick. There are a couple of trade partners I would like to primarily target such as Cleveland (for their 2 first round picks), Oakland (for their 2 second round picks), Philadelphia (also 2 second round picks) or possibly NE (they have 2 firsts and 2 seconds in 2012 and they have a lot of holes, especially on defense...may be able to get some kind of deal for them but not for the #1 overall). However, just trying to create a mock draft this early is difficult enough, but to try to estimate where specific teams will wind up is near impossible at this point so I'm not going that specific...just note that as the draft comes closer, these are the teams I would prefer to target first. :)

This is my dream draft so I'm in charge and I'm trading down twice. I'm basing my assumption that in return for these pics we would get a comparable deal to what Atlanta gave up for Jones, though we would probably get even more because QB > WR but it would also have to be factored in that Atl moved up from 27 to 6. The only picks I'm going to count on though are the picks in rounds 1, 2 and 4 for this year, which are the picks Atlanta gave up in 2011. No way would this be the end of the deal, it would definitely require additional picks in 2013 as well but I'm not mocking the 2013 draft.

From #1 overall I start at the team that's #2 and go down. I trade down to someone in the #3-5 range so to make things simple I'll say it's team with pick #4. I now take this #4 pick, and trade down once again and this is the area we may be able to make the deal with Philly, NE or Cleveland because I could see any of these teams being interested in Alshon Jeffrey, Justin Blackmon, Quinton Coples, Matt Kalil (NE, not so much) etc but I digress. So I trade from #4 down to a team in the 10-12 range so to simplify we'll all it pick #11. So now we have the #11 pick in round 1, the #1, 4 and 11 in round 2, #1 in round 3, #1, 4 and 11 in round 4 and #1 in the remaining rounds.

Round 1, pick 11: Manti Te'o, MLB Notre Dame - he's 6'2" 255 lbs and runs the fastest reported 40 time of any of the top 10 ILBs. I like what I've seen from our LB core so far but there's clearly still a need. Te'o and Angerer are locked in as 2 starters while Conner, Wheeler, Edds and Moten compete for the last starting spot and depth. Odds are either Edds or Moten wind up the odd man out.

Round 2, pick 1: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina - he's 6'1" 193 lbs. Other CB options would be Xavier Rhodes FSU, Chase Minniefield Virginia, or Alphonzo Dennard Nebraska. If by some chance we get lucky and Morris Claiborn falls here then I * him up in a hurry. I would also take WR Michael Floyd or DT Josh Chapman here if they fell but these are also unlikely.

Round 2, Pick 4: Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin - he's 6'2" 220 lbs. I'd also consider Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M but from the games I've seen I'd give the nod to Toon. Either give us a very solid outside WR.

Round 2, Pick 11: Nick Foles, QB, Arizona - this all depends on where he winds up on the boards come draft day. He's currently projected lower but he's been rising up the rankings already through the first 5 weeks. IMO he winds up a solid 2nd round prospect.

Round 3, Pick 1: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford - he's 6'6" 245 lbs, a great blocker and receiver and is said to be the 3rd fastest player on the Stanford team.

Round 4, Pick 1: Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin - he's 6'4" 318 lbs and Wisconsin and Stanford have probably the 2 best OL in college football.

Round 4, pick 4: Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame - he's 6'2" 215 lbs, reminds me a lot of John Lynch. I know some people want to address SS sooner, but the reality is the best SS's for the 2012 draft are projected in the 3rd/4th rounds. I'd love to get Mark Barron SS from Alabama but with the decline in play from Dallas Clark and the fact he's getting up there in years, I think Coby Fleener is the better 3rd round value.

Round 4, pick 11: Jaye Howard, DT, Florida - 6'3" 303 lbs, or would also consider Kawann Short, DT, Purdue who is 6'3" 310 lbs but from what I've watched I like Howard a little more. We could also swap DT and MLB spots and take Brandon Thompson DT or Josh Chapman DT in the first round and take James Michael-Richardson MLB here in the 4th.

Round 5, pick 1: William Vlachos, C, Alabama - 6'1" 295 lbs, plays for a very solid Alabama OL

Round 6, pick 1: Robert Blanton, CB, Notre Dame - he's 6'0" 200 lbs and Notre Dame plays a mix of both man and zone. He's a very solid CB from all I've seen so far. Another possibility here is Jack Crawford, DE, Penn State who is 6'5" 273 lbs.

Round 7, pick 1: Derek Moye, WR, Penn State - 6'5" 215 lbs...needs to put on some muscle but could be a late round steal

Pretty good draft Jason. I seriously wish this would happen so we could get Manti Te'o. My favorite LB prospect.

Still not completely sold on Nick Foles though....what is it about him that you like so much?

All I know is that if the Colts pick him and they ever need to toss a hail mary he's the guy lol throws one of the best deep balls I've seen.

Still not completely sold on Nick Foles though....what is it about him that you like so much?

There are a lot of things people are going to look at superficially that I think are the reasons he's still so low on the prospect list. Arizona runs a spread offense. This is fair but when you watch his games he makes a lot more NFL type throws from the spread than most QB's do. Guys like Kellen Moore and RG3 are often times throwing to receivers who are wide open because they beat their man coverage. Foles very seldom gets that luxury and is more often than not throwing into tight coverage windows and more often than not he puts the ball exactly where it needs to be to make sure the receiver is the only one who can make a play on the ball.

Another thing people may look at is Arizona's win/loss record. Arizona is a pretty horrible team overall but they're also very young. Foles took it upon himself to arrange additional early practices with the receivers to study film and help work on their timing. Announcers are constantly talking about how much time he spends in the film room studying tape.

Arizona has a below average offensive line. Their 5 starters are 5 brand new starters...they weren't able to bring back any of their starters from last year so this, imo, makes the great throws he makes even better by comparison because he's throwing in the face of almost constant pressure.

Arizona has little to no running game. They seem to get big chunks here and there but it is anything but consistent. So he's unable to really utilize play action. He also only has 1 teammate on the offense who's name anyone might recognize and that's WR Juron Criner, but Criner has been inconsistent so far this year and has also missed some fairly significant time with injuries.

Basically, it seems like no matter what happens, no matter how poorly the running game is, no matter how much pressure he's under, no matter who's playing at the receiver positions or how badly the defense plays...Foles takes the team on his shoulders and does everything he can to put the team in a position to win. The best examples of this are the past 2 games vs. USC and then Oregon State. In the Oregon state game he was getting hammered constantly, to the point he got hit so hard towards the end of the first half and had to sit out a play. On that play where he was injured, he stepped into the defender who was about to nail him and threw a 30-40 yard pass right on the money to a WR on around the 10 yard line. Foles came out for a play when Arizona ran for a TD but then came back in on the next play and threw a pass that successfully converted a 2 point attempt.

Basically, of the top QB prospects (Luck, Jones, Barkley, Cousins, Tannehill) I think he's the one who's accomplishing the most considering the average to below-average players he has around him. Hopefully this helps. :)

If we end up with any pick outside of the Number 1 pick I trade down, there is no way I trade out of the number 1 slot, there is just to much potential in what Luck can bring this Franchise to risk it on getting a few other picks. Again if we can't get Luck (which right now I don't think we will as I think Miami will get the number 1 pick) then I look at trading down because there isn't anything else on the board that would be worth keeping that 2 or 3 number pick.

If we end up with any pick outside of the Number 1 pick I trade down, there is no way I trade out of the number 1 slot, there is just to much potential in what Luck can bring this Franchise to risk it on getting a few other picks. Again if we can't get Luck (which right now I don't think we will as I think Miami will get the number 1 pick) then I look at trading down because there isn't anything else on the board that would be worth keeping that 2 or 3 number pick.

You want Luck...you want to keep Caldwell...duly noted. However Andrew Luck's name will not show up on any mock draft I create unless he has a bad year and falls to the end of the 1st or early 2nd round. In that case I would consider taking him over Foles.

Basically, of the top QB prospects (Luck, Jones, Barkley, Cousins, Tannehill) I think he's the one who's accomplishing the most considering the average to below-average players he has around him. Hopefully this helps. :)

Yes that does help. Thank you for the write up explaining your view. I'll try to catch some of his games on TV if I can.

Yes that does help. Thank you for the write up explaining your view. I'll try to catch some of his games on TV if I can.

Any time. :) There should be replays of the most recent game vs. Oregon state. If you can somehow catch the USC game from a couple of weeks ago you could watch an absolute shootout between Matt Barkley and Nick Foles. It was a very entertaining game. :)

You want Luck...you want to keep Caldwell...duly noted. However Andrew Luck's name will not show up on any mock draft I create unless he has a bad year and falls to the end of the 1st or early 2nd round. In that case I would consider taking him over Foles.

Well we will just have to wait and see, but to risk passing up a true "franchise" QB on the "hope" that Peyton has the ability in his final 3-4 years to lead an undermanned team to the SB is to darn riskey for me. Give me the young arm and better athlete now...

Well we will just have to wait and see, but to risk passing up a true "franchise" QB on the "hope" that Peyton has the ability in his final 3-4 years to lead an undermanned team to the SB is to darn riskey for me. Give me the young arm and better athlete now...

I did...I gave you Nick Foles.

Oh snap. At the same time though dn4192, what if Luck isn't what you thought he was and busts. That would of set our franchise even farther back. Your saying Peyton might not come back I'm saying what if Luck sucks.

It's a risk I am willing to take, you have to look at the odds. the chances he "sucks" is much less over say any other QB in the draft as of right now. You always take the best athlete available especially when it is at a key position and a postion you are in a need to fill. All drafts are a crap shoot, I just think my odds with Luck are better then any other player avaiable in the draft this upcoming season on being a true NFL stud.

In this I'm assuming the colts wind up with the #1 pick. There are a couple of trade partners I would like to primarily target such as Cleveland (for their 2 first round picks), Oakland (for their 2 second round picks), Philadelphia (also 2 second round picks) or possibly NE (they have 2 firsts and 2 seconds in 2012 and they have a lot of holes, especially on defense...may be able to get some kind of deal for them but not for the #1 overall). However, just trying to create a mock draft this early is difficult enough, but to try to estimate where specific teams will wind up is near impossible at this point so I'm not going that specific...just note that as the draft comes closer, these are the teams I would prefer to target first. :)

This is my dream draft so I'm in charge and I'm trading down twice. I'm basing my assumption that in return for these pics we would get a comparable deal to what Atlanta gave up for Jones, though we would probably get even more because QB > WR but it would also have to be factored in that Atl moved up from 27 to 6. The only picks I'm going to count on though are the picks in rounds 1, 2 and 4 for this year, which are the picks Atlanta gave up in 2011. No way would this be the end of the deal, it would definitely require additional picks in 2013 as well but I'm not mocking the 2013 draft.

From #1 overall I start at the team that's #2 and go down. I trade down to someone in the #3-5 range so to make things simple I'll say it's team with pick #4. I now take this #4 pick, and trade down once again and this is the area we may be able to make the deal with Philly, NE or Cleveland because I could see any of these teams being interested in Alshon Jeffrey, Justin Blackmon, Quinton Coples, Matt Kalil (NE, not so much) etc but I digress. So I trade from #4 down to a team in the 10-12 range so to simplify we'll all it pick #11. So now we have the #11 pick in round 1, the #1, 4 and 11 in round 2, #1 in round 3, #1, 4 and 11 in round 4 and #1 in the remaining rounds.

Round 1, pick 11: Manti Te'o, MLB Notre Dame - he's 6'2" 255 lbs and runs the fastest reported 40 time of any of the top 10 ILBs. I like what I've seen from our LB core so far but there's clearly still a need. Te'o and Angerer are locked in as 2 starters while Conner, Wheeler, Edds and Moten compete for the last starting spot and depth. Odds are either Edds or Moten wind up the odd man out.

Round 2, pick 1: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina - he's 6'1" 193 lbs. Other CB options would be Xavier Rhodes FSU, Chase Minniefield Virginia, or Alphonzo Dennard Nebraska. If by some chance we get lucky and Morris Claiborn falls here then I * him up in a hurry. I would also take WR Michael Floyd or DT Josh Chapman here if they fell but these are also unlikely.

Round 2, Pick 4: Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin - he's 6'2" 220 lbs. I'd also consider Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M but from the games I've seen I'd give the nod to Toon. Either give us a very solid outside WR.

Round 2, Pick 11: Nick Foles, QB, Arizona - this all depends on where he winds up on the boards come draft day. He's currently projected lower but he's been rising up the rankings already through the first 5 weeks. IMO he winds up a solid 2nd round prospect.

Round 3, Pick 1: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford - he's 6'6" 245 lbs, a great blocker and receiver and is said to be the 3rd fastest player on the Stanford team.

Round 4, Pick 1: Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin - he's 6'4" 318 lbs and Wisconsin and Stanford have probably the 2 best OL in college football.

Round 4, pick 4: Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame - he's 6'2" 215 lbs, reminds me a lot of John Lynch. I know some people want to address SS sooner, but the reality is the best SS's for the 2012 draft are projected in the 3rd/4th rounds. I'd love to get Mark Barron SS from Alabama but with the decline in play from Dallas Clark and the fact he's getting up there in years, I think Coby Fleener is the better 3rd round value.

Round 4, pick 11: Jaye Howard, DT, Florida - 6'3" 303 lbs, or would also consider Kawann Short, DT, Purdue who is 6'3" 310 lbs but from what I've watched I like Howard a little more. We could also swap DT and MLB spots and take Brandon Thompson DT or Josh Chapman DT in the first round and take James Michael-Richardson MLB here in the 4th.

Round 5, pick 1: William Vlachos, C, Alabama - 6'1" 295 lbs, plays for a very solid Alabama OL

Round 6, pick 1: Robert Blanton, CB, Notre Dame - he's 6'0" 200 lbs and Notre Dame plays a mix of both man and zone. He's a very solid CB from all I've seen so far. Another possibility here is Jack Crawford, DE, Penn State who is 6'5" 273 lbs.

Round 7, pick 1: Derek Moye, WR, Penn State - 6'5" 215 lbs...needs to put on some muscle but could be a late round steal

My draft following your scenario

RD 1 pick 11 : WR Alshon Jeffrey - Your pick of Te'o would be agood pick but i just don't think there is any way the Polian's will go MLB with the 1st. Alshon seems like he would be the best player on the board at 11th spot and WR could be a huge need for us if we don't resign guys.

RD 2 pick 1: OG David Decastro: A dominant guard that is equally good in pass protectin and run blocking.

RD 2 pick 4: S T.J. Mcdonald: With Bullitt's messed up shoulder we will need to draft his replacement maybee Joe Leffeged could be but i'm not sure.

RD 2 pick 11: QB Nick Foles : The perfect QB to groom 3-4 years behind Peyton great pick Jason.

RD 3 pick 1: CB Micah Hyde : He's got everything you wan in a CB he has the speed/size and very sound in coverage.

RD 4 pick 1: DT Tydreke Powell: A good run blocking DT that would add good Depth.

RD 4 pick 4: TE Coby Fleener: It's hard to figure out where a TE will go on draft day but i will predict hime to fall to the 4th. I don't think i need to add anything to your description.

RD 4 pick 11: CB Cameron Chism: Just for more Depth

RD 5 pick 1: C Ben Habern: just reminds me of Jeff Saturday which i like.

I will end it here since absolutely have no clue what will go down after this haha.

My draft following your scenario

RD 1 pick 11 : WR Alshon Jeffrey - Your pick of Te'o would be agood pick but i just don't think there is any way the Polian's will go MLB with the 1st. Alshon seems like he would be the best player on the board at 11th spot and WR could be a huge need for us if we don't resign guys.

If I thought there were even a remote chance that jeffrey would be available at the 11th spot then I'd take him in a heartbeat....however, I don't think there's anyway he makes it out of the top 5.

***Update to be more in line with current projections....some of these players likely don't fall as far as currently projected but hey, this is my "dream" draft right? lol Honestly thouhg, the original post was likely to be much more realistic than this one.

Round 2, pick 1: Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama - 6'1" 310 lbs - considered to be the strongest player in college football. A bit of a reach but he's projected 1st/2nd so still possible.

Round 2, Pick 4: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina - he's 6'1" 193 lbs. Other CB options would be Xavier Rhodes FSU, Chase Minniefield Virginia, or Alphonzo Dennard Nebraska.

Round 2, Pick 11: Mark Barron, SS, Alabama - 6'2" 218 lbs...definitely one of the best safeties in college football

Round 4, pick 4: Nick Foles, QB, Arizona - this all depends on where he winds up on the boards come draft day. He's currently projected lower but he's been rising up the rankings already through the first 5 weeks. IMO he winds up a solid 2nd round prospect but on current boards he's projected a 4th/5th round pick.

Round 4, pick 11: Rueben Randle, WR, LSU - 6'3" 208 lbs

Edited by Jason

It's a risk I am willing to take, you have to look at the odds. the chances he "sucks" is much less over say any other QB in the draft as of right now. You always take the best athlete available especially when it is at a key position and a postion you are in a need to fill. All drafts are a crap shoot, I just think my odds with Luck are better then any other player avaiable in the draft this upcoming season on being a true NFL stud.

But if any of those other QB's suck, they don't cost us 1st pick overall money. If Manning returns healthy, those other QB's don't cost us 1st pick overall money to carry a clipboard. This is not the Favre/Rodgers scenario. Not even close. Luck is a bigger risk to this franchise for more reasons than the potential benefits.

Speaking of benefits... Phenomenal draft, Jason!

Edited by doogansquest

But if any of those other QB's suck, they don't cost us 1st pick overall money. If Manning returns healthy, those other QB's don't cost us 1st pick overall money to carry a clipboard. This is not the Favre/Rodgers scenario. Not even close. Luck is a bigger risk to this franchise for more reasons than the potential benefits.

Speaking of benefits... Phenomenal draft, Jason!

Any player you take is a risk. What you try to do is minimize those risks by selecting players who grade out the highest according to all the information you have available to you and I am willing to bet there will be no player who grades out higher in the next draft then Luck. So to "pass" on that player is a foolish risk and something no team, even the Colts can afford to take.

If I thought there were even a remote chance that jeffrey would be available at the 11th spot then I'd take him in a heartbeat....however, I don't think there's anyway he makes it out of the top 5.

Well i guess we just have a diffence in opinion then, I think Jeffrey will go 7th to 13th but you could be right.

Any player you take is a risk. What you try to do is minimize those risks by selecting players who grade out the highest according to all the information you have available to you and I am willing to bet there will be no player who grades out higher in the next draft then Luck. So to "pass" on that player is a foolish risk and something no team, even the Colts can afford to take.

we all know your position, it is duly noted....now, go create a mock draft of your own and select Andrew Luck in every round. There are more than enough threads all over the forum for you to continue your mission of Luck-love. However, as I said before, unless for some crazy, unforeseen reason Luck falls to the late 1st to early second rounds then there's no way he will make it onto one of my mock drafts. :)

Well i guess we just have a diffence in opinion then, I think Jeffrey will go 7th to 13th but you could be right.

It's possible, but imo not probable. It all depends on the draft order, how many of the top 5 teams need QB and whether a team prefers Jeffery over Blackmon. Personally I'd take Jeffery any day over Blackmon but there are some that prefer Blackmon over Jeffery.

WalterFootball just posted a new mock draft that i love!

1. DE Quinton Coples

2. DT Jerel Worthy

3. CB Jayron Hosley

I'm still a little suprised i haven't seen a QB in any of his mocks yet.

Honestly I'm not. I still don't think there's any guarantee the Colts draft a QB this year. They probably will, but if Peyton has returned to full health come draft day and Painter continues to improve then I could see them holding off one more year. I'm not a huge fan of the Jerel Worthy pick unless he is versatile and strong enough to play both NT and UT. From what I've seen of him I'm not sure that he is. I'd prefer Josh Chapman or Brandon Thompson if we're going to go DT in rounds 1 or 2....though this would require a trade down because neither are top 10 picks and, while it's possible Chapman could slip to the second there's no guarantee.

I also just read this, under the description on the first round pick of Coples it says "Matt Kalil isn't available, so the Colts will take Quinton Coples, the top player on the board.".

I have a hard time taking any mock seriously that has us drafting Kalil. I'll eat one of my shoes if the Colts spend their top 5 pick on an OT after using a 1st and 2nd round on OT last year.

Edited by Jason

Again, it's much simpler than that: no other player, regardless of grade, would cost us that much money to sit and do nothing for 4 years. We would be purposely paying a guy to not contribute. It's not like paying someone and they get hurt. We would actually be paying a guy to walk the sideline with no intent of having him contribute anything for several years.

That is the definition of foolish. That is nothing short of a gigantic waste. It's like saying, "well, we can't use him, but we definitely don't want anyone else to have him...."

I also just read this, under the description on the first round pick of Coples it says "Matt Kalil isn't available, so the Colts will take Quinton Coples, the top player on the board.".

I have a hard time taking any mock seriously that has us drafting Kalil. I'll eat one of my shoes if the Colts spend their top 5 pick on an OT after using a 1st and 2nd round on OT last year.

I pretty much agree with your point but i do think Kalil will be a great player though. Coples still makes more to me sence Mathis could be gone next year and Freeney the year after that.

If we lose Wayne to FA, I say we pick up Floyd from ND. I know we need D players, but if Wayne leaves we need a replacement. Floyd is tall, fast, and has great hands. He's a big playmaker (can't be taught, IMO), and if he can stay out of trouble (nothing too serious, alcohol related stuff and he's kept his nose clean so far this season).

Really like this mock draft. Especially the 2 trade downs, that was the same thoughts i had about this draft as well. Using your trades This is what i would like to see...

Round 1, Pick 11: Vontze Burfict. He could become an absolute monster at strong side backer and would give us an attitude on defense that we haven't had before. (other picks: Kirkpatrick or Manti Te'o)

Round 2, Pick 1: Stephon Gilmore. Strong physical corner, can cover as well as run support. (other picks: Ryan Broyles if hes available, or next best Corner available)

Round 2 Pick 4: Brandon Thompson. We are only missing two things on Dline, a true NT and a third rusher. This pick solves one of those. (other picks: If we take Broyles then this pick becomes DB)

Round 2 Pick 11: Mark Barron if hes available. Wasnt a fan until this year, i saw him as a roy williams type safety. But this year he has shown a huge increase in his coverage. As well as being the best run support safety in the draft. This would allow Bethea to play deep where hes best. (other picks: Kevin Zeitler, and depending on previous picks, a DB)

Round 3, Pick 1: Ryan Miller. (unless we pick Zeitler with earlier pick) Versatile can play both guard and tackle. (other picks: Barret Jones, Dwight Jones)

Round 4, Pick 1: Coby Fleener. May have to either trade up to grab him or pick him with earlier pick. But he is a big strong TE, good at both blocking and receiving.

Round 5, pick 1: Julian Miller. Solid all around player, great at pass rushing. Hasn't produced to much this season so could slide to this round.

Round 6, Pick 1: Chris Rainey. Extremely versatile. And extremely athletic. Would give us a legit return man as well as some plays in the passing game.

Round 7, Pick 1: Kellen Moore. Has all the talent from the neck up to be a nfl caliber QB. However his size and arm strength hurts his stock. Will he be a colt brennan or a drew brees? With this pick who cares. If he can play then great, if not then good luck and theres the door.

Factors that could impact draft: Of course the obvious of mathis and wayne. However what if we could grab a sean smith, vontae davis or cameron wake from miami? If we get either of the DBs they would be immediate starters. and if mathis is resigned wake would be the elusive 3rd rusher we have been looking for. If not then we got another pro bowl pass rusher in his place.

Really like this mock draft. Especially the 2 trade downs, that was the same thoughts i had about this draft as well. Using your trades This is what i would like to see...

Round 1, Pick 11: Vontze Burfict. He could become an absolute monster at strong side backer and would give us an attitude on defense that we haven't had before. (other picks: Kirkpatrick or Manti Te'o)

A lot of people really like Burfict and I can see why. I also wouldn't be the slightest bit upset to see him as a Colt. However that being said, if both Burfict and Te'o are available at the time when the Colts decide to take a LB then I'd bet anything that Te'o would be the pick. Te'o seems like the perfect Cover-2 type LB and could play MIKE or SAM. Burfict seems to be used more as a blitzer and to spy the backfield as opposed to playing a lot of zone coverage. Not to say he can't play zone but I don't think he does nearly as much as Te'o does. Plus, they would have to factor in the personal foul issues that Burfict has. He might not be getting as many as in years past but he seems to have backed off his play to some degree in order to keep from getting the penalties. He's not having a very good year so far, which is why CBSSports currently has him as a mid 2nd round pick. While I don't think he'll stay there, I do think it's telling of the year he's having that he's dropped so far. Te'o can bring the same physical mentality and be the big, strong and fast LB we need and he plays smarter. :)

Oh and I'd be thrilled if we could get Brandon Thompson at the top of the 2nd. :D I like him and Josh Chapman for different reasons and I think it depends on what the Colts want.

Good selections, Jason. Based on your trade down scenario, these would be my picks:

Round 1, pick 11: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama - Consensus top CB in this draft. Elite talent with potential to become a shut-down corner. Excels in both man and zone coverage. Will probably go in the top ten, but if he's still sitting there at 11, the Colts should pounce on him. BPA + glaring need = serendipity.

If Kirkpatrick is gone, my 2nd choice would be Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina and 3rd choice Manti Te'o, MLB, Notre Dame. Te'o is a beast, but the team already has an Angry stud MLB. Brown appears custom built for the Colts: 6'2" 230 lbs elite athlete (former track champion) with ridiculous 4.3 - 4.4 speed for a LB. He can cover any RB/TE/WR and run down elusive, scrambling QBs like Aaron Rodgers, Michael Vick, and Cam Newton. Brown is also a stud Gunner on Special Teams.

Round 2, pick 1: If the Colts don't get Kirkpatrick in the 1st round, they should take the best remaining corner at this spot. Either Morris Claiborne, LSU or Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina or Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama. As for Jenkins, I don't know if the team would gamble a high 2nd round pick on a pot head -- even if he has top 15 talent. Otherwise, draft a top 3 OG like Cordy Glenn of Georgia / David DeCastro of Stanford / Kelechi Osemele of Iowa State.

Round 2, Pick 4: Best remaining 4-3 NT. Brandon Thompson of Clemson, Jerel Worthy of Michigan State, Alameda Ta'amu of Washington, or Josh Chapman of Alabama.

Round 2, Pick 11: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M or Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor. Either one of these talented young QBs would gladly hold the clipboard for a few years and learn from Peyton. Alternatively, the team can go for the best remaining wideout, preferably a tall receiver like Nick Toon, Wisconsin / Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M / Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers / Dwight Jones, North Carolina.

Round 3, Pick 1: Mark Barron, Alabama or Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami - the two best strong safeties in this draft. If both are gone, and the Colts didn't draft a QB in the 2nd round, another option is Nick Foles, QB, Arizona.

Round 4, Pick 1: A TE that can catch and block equally well, such as Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford. Otherwise, draft the best remaining 4-3 DE. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina / Alex Okafor, Texas / Cam Johnson, Virginia.

Round 5, Pick 1: Great value at DTs in this round. Pick your poison: Kawann Short, Purdue / Kheeston Randall, Texas / Kaleb Ramsey, Boston College / Jaye Howard, Florida / Kendall Reyes, Connecticut / Tydreke Powell, North Carolina / Dontari Poe, Memphis. I'd take Kendall Reyes just based on his exceptional athleticism (

).

Round 6, Pick 1: Time to swing for the fences. I'd take a gamble on a longshot with good potential. Hope Chris Polian inherited his father's knack for finding late round gems. Could go for an underrated WR from a smaller division school, such as Brian Quick (6' 4" 215 lbs), Applachian State. Maybe even a QB project like Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State / Kirk Cousins, Michigan State / Kellen Moore, Boise State. A few years enrolled in the "Peyton Manning Graduate School of Professional Gunslinging" could develop an unpolished QB prospect into a starter. If it works, the Colts will have valuable trade bait (akin to Kevin Kolb and Matt Cassel). If not, then no big loss.

Round 7, Pick 1: The team still lacks a weapon at KR. Joe Lefeged hasn't shown anything but poor judgement fielding kicks. Brandon Boykin CB/KR, Georgia or Greg McCoy, CB/KR, TCU are both very quick and dangerous returners.

I'm starting to see some people want a LB. I guess in my opinion conner, angerer, wheeler are playing good. If we drafted a mlb are you suggesting that angerer goes to slb and wheeler to the bench?

:) Even if we're set with Angerer at MLB then we still need a backup. Angerer started the season as Brackett's backup at MLB but with Brackett out, we don't have another LB who has experience playing MLB. I'm also not sold on Angerer being the MLB for the future because he's still a bit on the small side. I'd rather take Te'o and practice all LB's at each position to find out the best starting combo but chances are Te'o would wind up at the MLB spot.

If the Colts FO is set with Angerer as the MLB for the future then we could draft someone like James-Michael Johnson in a mid to later round.

Edited by Jason

There's a MUCH bigger dip in talent at the LB spots (especially MLB) than there is CB. We can still get a very talented CB at the top of round 2.

Why do we need any more LB's? The only problem I have with the current group is Kavell Conner in coverage, and Ernie Sims may take over as a starter for Conner.