Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Screens

Bbswatching

Give it time. Still testing a few things out. And screens generally only work against aggressive defense's. Maybe we'll see some vs Seattle

I think this is right. We got the shovel pass to brown near the goal line and we have not seen that in a long time so I think we see a number of different little used plays eventually ......

We actually tried a few screen passes to the RB in the game against SF and also in yesterday's game. The problem that I see is that we always use them on 2nd and long, or 3rd and long, which is very predictable. All of our screens to the RBs have been sniffed out, and either have been incomplete, or complete for a loss.

I'm not too critical about Pep's play calling, however, one thing that I loved about Bruce Arians' play calling was that he was not afraid to go for it on third and long--and Luck led the league in completions on 3rd and 7+ yards. This year, we're asking for Luck to throw a screen pass or run a draw. All too predictable.

Screens are good when you have a defender playing off of the wr or else you have that Corner right in position up on the wr able to read the QB's eyes  which is risky because many times if that wr that the QB was aiming for dont make the tackle on the Int it can lead to an easy pick 6, An example of a good screen pass would be Miamis lone TD against us to Mike Wallace, it was an easy 6 points because of his speed in open space......Also a truely bad play call by Manusky that close to the end zone

Guest TeamLoloJones

We actually tried a few screen passes to the RB in the game against SF and also in yesterday's game. The problem that I see is that we always use them on 2nd and long, or 3rd and long, which is very predictable. All of our screens to the RBs have been sniffed out, and either have been incomplete, or complete for a loss.

I'm not too critical about Pep's play calling, however, one thing that I loved about Bruce Arians' play calling was that he was not afraid to go for it on third and long--and Luck led the league in completions on 3rd and 7+ yards. This year, we're asking for Luck to throw a screen pass or run a draw. All too predictable.

I want to see a HB screen on 2nd and short when no one expects you to run one.  That's when they are most effective.

Typically screen passes are good when you are in obvious passing situations.  This why you will see more screen passes by teams that are behind and passing a lot to catch up in game.

The Colts offense being balanced and have not been so far behind that the opposing defense is hard rushing/blitzing Luck every down.  My guess is you will see more screens from the Colts should they get down a couple TD's and need to pass to catch up and use a screen to slow down the rush.

Screens are good when you have a defender playing off of the wr or else you have that Corner right in position up on the wr able to read the QB's eyes  which is risky because many times if that wr that the QB was aiming for dont make the tackle on the Int it can lead to an easy pick 6, An example of a good screen pass would be Miamis lone TD against us to Mike Wallace, it was an easy 6 points because of his speed in open space......Also a truely bad play call by Manusky that close to the end zone

I was talking about RB screens not WR screens

I want to see a HB screen on 2nd and short when no one expects you to run one.  That's when they are most effective.

I'd rather see a deep pass on 2nd and short off of play action

You'll probably have more than one 2nd and short. We can do both, can't we?

Guest TeamLoloJones

You'll probably have more than one 2nd and short. We can do both, can't we?

Not sure...I'll go talk to Pep and get back to you on that...haha but you do have a point

Not sure...I'll go talk to Pep and get back to you on that... haha but you do have a point

Heaven forbid we get a third 2nd and short, do we run a draw? What about a fourth? Do we run it straight ahead?

I'm being facetious. Just saying, we're not gonna do the same thing on every 2nd and short. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Heaven forbid we get a third 2nd and short, do we run a draw? What about a fourth? Do we run it straight ahead?

I'm being facetious. Just saying, we're not gonna do the same thing on every 2nd and short. 

Easy...qb rollout for a TD.