Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where Does The Idea That Running Is Bad Come From?

unitaswestand

I don't understand the argument when I read comments and blogs everyday of someone saying "this is a passing league.  The way to win is pass and stop the pass".   But statistically, that simply isn't true.  If you look at Super Bowl winners, I would argue that Packers of a few years back were the only team that couldn't run that well. When it comes down to playoffs and Super Bowl,the team that runs better and stops the run better is usually the team that wins.  Perhaps they are talking about regular season wins?  Sure, teams that do nothing but pass win a lot of regular season games.

Even our own Colts are a perfect example.  The year we won the Super Bowl, we turned into a great running team that could stop the run in the playoffs and Super Bowl. All the other playoff games, we would normally be rocked by getting run on or being shut down running.  

So, I for one don't agree with that comment. Grigs has studied that dynasties in the NFL and they are teams that can run and pass and stop the run. 60s Packers, 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers, 90s Cowboys, early 2000s Patriots.  I think we are doing the right thing and I predict we will be an overall more successful team as far as Super Bowl wins then we were under the Tom Moore offense.   We underachieved with Manning and I think it comes down to no run defense and our running attack disappearing in the playoffs.

We never had a great run game at all and people complained. Now we have great running game potential this year and people are complaining. Can't make everyone happy. This subject is like beating a dead horse, though.

Yeah, it is.  But I made the mistake of going to Stampede Blue and they immediately start in on how stupid it is to get a RB and this is a Pass/Stop Pass league...blah...blah..blah.  I, for one, got tired of being bounced out of the playoffs year after year. I want that to change :)

If the weather is bad for the Super Bowl this season (And it very well could be, with it being in Jersey this Feb), the team that has a balanced offensive attack stands a greater chance at winning that game. It worked for us in our win over the Bears in crappy weather in Miami. We were able to run the ball effectively and keep their defense honest.

We never had a great run game at all and people complained. Now we have great running game potential this year and people are complaining. Can't make everyone happy. This subject is like beating a dead horse, though.

Edge lead the league in rushing twice so yes in the early days of Peyton we did have a great running game.

One gets ahead by passing in general and runs the clock out by running to finish the game in this passing league.

Even with TRich, if we feature a 60-40 balance on the pass-run ratio, we can get the lead with enough passing and ice the game with the running game.

Like I said before, having TRich does not mean we will or should go to a 50-50 approach. It just means our running game and passing game will become more efficient because the run has to be respected a bit more than before and the fact we can generate runs without having 6 OLs and 1 WR when the RB can generate a bit :)

I look at it like this...People are complaining that we traded a 1st round pick for TRich. Now if we got him (hypothetically) for a 3rd rounder, no one would be complaining. We'd all be ecstatic and look forward to a more productive running game.

Most people would have wanted to address our current weaknesses of O-line with our 1st round pick (pass blocking specifically), or our lack of pass rush. What most people fail to recognize is that we just drafted and traded for D-line help and drafted and traded for O-line help. Should we just keep looking to draft or trade for linemen?  Plus, the top rated tackles in the previous draft (Joeckel and Fisher) are both playing like garbage. There are no guarantees in the draft.

I look at it like this...People are complaining that we traded a 1st round pick for TRich. Now if we got him (hypothetically) for a 3rd rounder, no one would be complaining. We'd all be ecstatic and look forward to a more productive running game.

Most people would have wanted to address our current weaknesses of O-line with our 1st round pick (pass blocking specifically), or our lack of pass rush. What most people fail to recognize is that we just drafted and traded for D-line help and drafted and traded for O-line help. Should we just keep looking to draft or trade for linemen?  Plus, the top rated tackles in the previous draft (Joeckel and Fisher) are both playing like garbage. There are no guarantees in the draft.

Besides, a skill position player contributes much faster than an OL off the street. Plus, it is more difficult to get the OL who has not been through your playbook and TC to get on the same page as 4 other OLs than it is to get an RB on the same page as AL & Bradshaw. OL is more a sum of the parts, the RBs can be on an island for the most part in terms of impact on fellow teammates.