Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the NFL take away helmets and pads?

Insert Colts Pun Here

The issue of concussions has been taking a more and more prominent position in sports media, particularly in America. The correlation between a high number of concussions among young adults and the onset of dementia later in life seems to be hard to overlook and the NFL have already begun to take note. We all know about the somewhat controversial 'crown of the helmet' rule, as well as rules regarding 'defenseless receivers' and such, but should the NFL be taking a different approach to dealing with this hot button issue?

It's patently obvious that the protection provided by state of the art equipment in the NFL leads to immeasurably more head to head contact. Of course, if you have a bullet proof helmet on then you won't think twice about leading with your head. However, take that protection away and avoiding head to head contact becomes essential. I can't think of many players, with the exception of Brian Cushing, that would (and did) continue to lead with a helmet-less head.

It would be foolish to assume, however, that simply taking away player's pads and helmets will reduce the number of concussions we see in the NFL. It's a common misconception that concussion stats in Rugby are much lower than those in American Football. I didn't manage to find any hard stats but I found ample evidence that suggests they are much closer than people think (see source A). In fact, just two weeks ago, Toby Flood suffered a very severe and very concerning head injury (see source B). 

Based on this evidence, it would seem that simply removing a player's protective equipment would not prove effective in reducing concussion related injuries. In fact, take pads and helmets away from NFL players right now and watch the number of injuries sky rocket in today's games as they continue to tackle dangerously. Therein lies the problem. Players simply do not know, through no fault of their own, how to tackle safely anymore. The rules of the game do not call for 'safe' tackling (in terms of body form and execution), therefore it is not coached. Driving a helmet in the opposition numbers draws cheers from the crowd and praise from the coach, however, this is not a safe way to tackle.

A tackle is deemed legal in Rugby if the tackling player does not lead with his head but with his shoulder, if he tackles the ball carrier no higher than the armpits and if he makes a concerted effort to 'wrap up'. This is where the NFL can learn from Rugby in my opinion. Players need to be coached in 'safe tackling', they need to learn correct form and they need to stop leading with their heads. I don't believe an expansive rule change is absolutely necessary but I believe a change in culture and philosophy is.

Source A: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18806547

Source B: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/10282064/Concussion-a-massive-problem-for-rugby-says-players-union-manager-David-Barnes.html

My issue is even if you do remove helmets/pads, yes, it may deter hard-hitting physical contact for, what, a decade?... But what happens when the lack of protection is in-grained into the players mindsets and our players take on the mentality of hard-nosed Rugby players?

We also need to consider the jump from the college level to the pro's. College players will be transitioning from helmets/pads to no helmets/pads. That is a big leap in learning for the rookies. Owners likely would not vote on this change to avoid damaging their 1st round prospects chances and teams with young QB's or poor o-line's certainly would frown on this. And no, college players cannot play without protection -- you would have parents pulling their hair out.

Pretty sure the topic is a joke.

In all seriousness, I think we should eliminate judgement calls by refs. Period. The integrity of the game is flying out the window trying to overprotect everyone. It also makes it easier for zebras to greatly affect the game. See: Giants/Broncos     Ravens/Broncos

If a ref suspects helmet to helmet/PI/holding/roughing the passer, call it. Automatically review judgement calls to keep the integrity of the game intact.  Have all false start, offsides, illegal touching, NON DISCRETIONARY calls remain as is.

Will it slow the pace of the game? Yes. So what? I'd rather see people take time to get it right in everything. At the very least make PI's challengeable. Giving away 30-50 yard chunks off terrible calls/non calls is absurd.

I'm sorry, but if it goes that far to prevent injury, they may as well call it quits and disband the league.

Just wouldn't be the same game!  The risk of injury is something that is accepted when you take money to play the game.

Yes it is terribly sad the traumatic injuries that some players receive that they have to endure 'till the end of their lives.

But that's the price you pay for the glory and the money!  It's a brutal game and even when played with good sportsmanship there is going to be injury.  Take the contact out of the game, forget about it, it's not American Football.

Can you imagine line play without pads and helmets, they would be hauling guys off every play on stretchers...

How about a guy getting tackled and being slammed to the ground with his head getting snapped to the turf...

Two guys going up for a pass and accidentally smacking their heads together...

No pads, No helmets and I see many more injuries and even more and severe concussions and many more money grubbing personal injury lawyers getting involved in the process too.

I work a job that I could be injured or even fall and die, every day. I take that risk because I get paid well to do so.  Workmans Comp. is all I got backing me up.  We all make choices in our lives, and the consequences of those choices we have to live with.

As I said before, if you choose to play the game, and accept the money and possible glory that goes with it, then live with the consequences of the same.

I'm OLD SCHOOL about this stuff... When you know the possibility of bad things happening when you behave in a certain way, then don't whine when things turn out badly.

Yes I feel badly for those that have permanent injury from playing the game that I enjoy watching very much, but they knew the price they may have to pay going in. (Don't tell me the league office really cares about this stuff, If the lawyers hadn't get involved and sued they would have gone merrily on their way.  Dr's ect. have known the long term consequences of concussions, I was told about such in the 1960's) )

Now the crackdown on dirty play is a different story, I fully support that.

If you get hurt in the course of normal play, that's the breaks, Man Up and accept it.

{I'm Done}

Well the game use to be like that, and I'm pretty sure there was death back in those days. lol

I get your idea, and in theory people would be more conscious about decisions without helmets. Play a backyard football game though, and you'll see no one cares.

You are right FX

The president of the United States once wanted to ban football in the World War 1 days  because there were too many deaths...