Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 to wear knee brace all season

House

I know 12 doesn't run as much as RG but doesn't he wear a brace on his knee every game as well? I think quarterbacks can operate well with it, though like you said, I've never been in one either, thank goodness. Not sure how much it hinders rushing capabilities.

I know 12 doesn't run as much as RG but doesn't he wear a brace on his knee every game as well? I think quarterbacks can operate well with it, though like you said, I've never been in one either, thank goodness. Not sure how much it hinders rushing capabilities.

Andrews top speed isn't the same as Griffins either lol. So who knows if it will prevent the bursts that helped him keep Ds reeling all season. I doubt it will be drastic, but we could see more of a pocket presence from Robert this season.

Andrews top speed isn't the same as Griffins either lol. So who knows if it will prevent the bursts that helped him keep Ds reeling all season. I doubt it will be drastic, but we could see more of a pocket presence from Robert this season.

Yep, you're right. And that would be a good thing for the Redskins I think. Sure it would take away what got him his name last year but at the same time it should teach him to refine his passing and not to be as reckless as he has come to be known. I'm sure his coaches and teammates will breathe sighs of relief seeing him throw the ball away instead of taking an unnecessary hit from a LB lol.

we could see more of a pocket presence from Robert this season.

I think you're right. I think he'll pick his spots more - probably enough to keep defenses honest. Hopefully he's able to reign himself in a little more and not try to get that extra yard every time. Even the 2nd half of the season he was quite a bit better (post Atlanta concussion) about taking the hits That last ditch effort to drive the team down against Baltimore late in the game got him though.

Seriously, what? QB's have been rushing since at least the beginnings of the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDmeTo-8aoI

I know.  But is that their main job?  Is it supposed to be what they do first.  RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick, all those guys run just as much as they pass dang near.  Especially RG3.  A quarterback should be handing off to the running back, thats the running backs job.  Why is there such an uproar over the new read option and saying that the league is turning to rushing QB's.  Thats because historically they havent been the main rushing threats.  They are supposed to hand off or throw the ball.  Do you honestly think QB's rushed just as much at the beginning of the NFL as they are doing now?  Sorry, but no.

I had both metal & plastic leg braces growing up as a kid to increase my gateway or ability to walk. They were pretty heavy & cumbersome, but then again, I'm sure that there have been significant innovations & advancements since the mid 70's & entire 1980's too by now. Plus, SW1 never had RG3's flash gordon super human speed either so my example probably isn't a fair representation of pure athleticism either.  haha

What I would worry about is how this knee brace hinders his ability to cut, stop, & change direction during a LIVE regular season game. 

I had both metal & plastic leg braces growing up as a kid to increase my gateway or ability to walk. They were pretty heavy & cumbersome, but then again, I'm sure that there have been significant innovations & advancements since the mid 70's & entire 1980's too by now. Plus, SW1 never had RG3's flash gordon super human speed either so my example probably isn't a fair representation of pure athleticism either.  haha

What I would worry about is how this knee brace hinders his ability to cut, stop, & change direction during a LIVE regular season game. 

Yep, those braces are no joke. So helpful but so restricting at times, whether it's walking or running. I guess we'll find out how well Griff fares in gametime soon enough.

Brady still wears his leg brace from back in 2009. He said once that he wishes he wore one from the start of his career on his plant leg given how vunerable it is. I really doubt the brace will hamper RG at all once he gets used to it. I remember members in the media saying how Brady's mobility in the pocket would be hampered and honestly there was no difference that I could detect. His lateral movement looked the same as always. I realize north/south running is different but with the way technology is now, I am sure RG will not be bogged down. Maybe it shaves .1 second off of his 40 because of the added weight. Hey, maybe he will just run bare foot to make up the weight difference. lol!

Yep, you're right. And that would be a good thing for the Redskins I think. Sure it would take away what got him his name last year but at the same time it should teach him to refine his passing and not to be as reckless as he has come to be known. I'm sure his coaches and teammates will breathe sighs of relief seeing him throw the ball away instead of taking an unnecessary hit from a LB lol.

Refine his passing? I dunno. He looked pretty good passing last year. :D   I think what is at issue here is a mentality. Even if he was on one leg, his instinct would be to run because he is THAT much faster and more atheltic than everyone else. This is what Shanny has to work on and that will be difficult. His running is part of what makes him the QB he is. Not sure how much you can reel that in. I know they will some for sure but like I have said before, you don't want to turn him into Vick either. It really is a balance and really on any play that he runs he can get injured so that is the gamble. Perhaps the playbook is modified and safter runs are incorporated. Not sure but I suppose we will find out soon enough. Man, I can't wait for Sept...

RG3 wore a knee brace for an entire season at Baylor and he was just fine.  I do agree that he'll need to tone down on the running some, but don't be surprised if they still dial up the read option several times a game, just to keep defenses honest.

That guy is so friggin' athletic, he made so many people look silly last year as he literally juked them into falling on their faces.  I'd still prefer Luck over RG3 any day, but Griffin is a very smart kid, and I believe he has learned his lesson about running so often.

And as far as the comparisons to Michael Vick, RG3 is already better than Vick was in his best year. 

Refine his passing? I dunno. He looked pretty good passing last year. :D   I think what is at issue here is a mentality. Even if he was on one leg, his instinct would be to run because he is THAT much faster and more atheltic than everyone else. This is what Shanny has to work on and that will be difficult. His running is part of what makes him the QB he is. Not sure how much you can reel that in. I know they will some for sure but like I have said before, you don't want to turn him into Vick either. It really is a balance and really on any play that he runs he can get injured so that is the gamble. Perhaps the playbook is modified and safter runs are incorporated. Not sure but I suppose we will find out soon enough. Man, I can't wait for Sept...

haha I know he was good, but there's always room for improvement. Of course his instincts will kick in but sometimes you have to use your head. I'm sure he'll retain at least a portion of his mobility early on and you're right, there are ways to run out of the pistol without having to face contact.

Brady still wears his leg brace from back in 2009. He said once that he wishes he wore one from the start of his career on his plant leg given how vunerable it is. I really doubt the brace will hamper RG at all once he gets used to it. I remember members in the media saying how Brady's mobility in the pocket would be hampered and honestly there was no difference that I could detect. His lateral movement looked the same as always. I realize north/south running is different but with the way technology is now, I am sure RG will not be bogged down. Maybe it shaves .1 second off of his 40 because of the added weight. Hey, maybe he will just run bare foot to make up the weight difference. lol!

Comparing Brady's movement to RG3's is like comparing a Ferrari to a minivan lol.

Scrambling is different than straight rushing, especially against today's defenses.

Scrambling is keeping the play alive. Look at your Youtube..Fran is scrambling backwards more than forward.

Tarkenton had nearly 4000 yards on the run. Considering how much less QB's dropped back to pass then, Fran Tarkenton was by all definitions a running quarterback.

I know. But is that their main job? Is it supposed to be what they do first. RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick, all those guys run just as much as they pass dang near. Especially RG3. A quarterback should be handing off to the running back, thats the running backs job. Why is there such an uproar over the new read option and saying that the league is turning to rushing QB's. Thats because historically they havent been the main rushing threats. They are supposed to hand off or throw the ball. Do you honestly think QB's rushed just as much at the beginning of the NFL as they are doing now? Sorry, but no.

No, quarterbacks not only rushed less, but they passed less and they handed the ball off more. If Tarkenton played when Cunningham played they would have similar numbers on the ground. If Cunningham played in the early 2000's like Vick, they would have similar numbers. And if Vick was drafted last year, he would put up numbers similar to RG3. There is no "you are supposed to" or set in stone rolls in the NFL, things evolve. Prople are excited about the read-option because it's new, just like the wildcat a few years ago. Rushing/scrambling as a QB is not, and coaches are beginning to take advantage, through play calling, of how much more athletic NFL QB's are becoming.

Scrambling is different than straight rushing, especially against today's defenses.

Scrambling is keeping the play alive. Look at your Youtube..Fran is scrambling backwards more than forward.

Very good point....JJ

Russell Wilson may be today's Fran Tarkenton....

Wilson wont get hurt because he doesnt really run by design....he escapes.....and throws the ball or gets out of bounds

That's why he'll probably last longer and be more effective than RG3...who is a running QB

Very good point....JJ

Russell Wilson may be today's Fran Tarkenton....

Wilson wont get hurt because he doesnt really run by design....he escapes.....and throws the ball or gets out of bounds

That's why he'll probably last longer and be more effective than RG3...who is a running QB

I'd like you to understand that designed runs are a lot safer than impromptu scrambling.

RG3 just didnt know when to give up, he literally left everything out there on the field.. until he couldnt get up off it.

I think this year he comes back smarter, and with a better understand of protecting himself instead of getting 3 more yards and taking a shot.

RG3 just didnt know when to give up, he literally left everything out there on the field.. until he couldnt get up off it.

Pretty fancy way to say he was running stupid, and taking dumb, and unnecessary, hits lol.

I'd like you to understand that designed runs are a lot safer than impromptu scrambling.

I think this year he comes back smarter, and with a better understand of protecting himself instead of getting 3 more yards and taking a shot.

no a power back is better off running straight ahead. Look at RGIII-couldn't even make it past a year without injury due to running ahead. Look at Vick.

Scramblers evade to buy more time. Look at Fran, Staubach, Montana- these guys didn't run by design and see how long they lasted.

Brady rarely runs though amfootball. As Yehoodi accurately stated awhile back on another topic post, Tom shuffles or slides his feet & rarely lunges forward quickly in NFL games. 

Without question it will be a hindrance to his style and effectiveness. How much? We'll see.

Yes, that is certainly true TAPLOOK, but how lightweight & flexible are knee braces now? Are they designed to hold or lock a knee in place or keep the knee cap from buckling? That's my question...When I was a kid, the brace had 1 specific purpose: Lock the knee in place & restrict any deviation from that position, but now I would imagine that knee braces are designed to sway back & forth like the bubble in a carpenter's level. 

Comparing Brady's movement to RG3's is like comparing a Ferrari to a minivan lol.

Who is the Ferrari & who is the minivan in this case? Because both Brady & RG3 get the job done & find the endzone frequently. 1 usually throws for 6 points [brady] & 1 usually scrambles for 6 points [RG3] House. 

Who is the Ferrari & who is the minivan in this case? Because both Brady & RG3 get the job done & find the endzone frequently. 1 usually throws for 6 points [brady] & 1 usually scrambles for 6 points [RG3] House.

I'm talking about the differences in their movement.

RG3 is light years better than Tom in this department.

RGG is faster and stronger but Brady moves better/smarter. None of these young reckless QB's are going to be around long unless they adopt/steal some Brady/Manning style of play. Stay you live run you die. 

I'd say RG's a muscle car and Brady's a luxury car.  

RGG is faster and stronger but Brady moves better/smarter. None of these young reckless QB's are going to be around long unless they adopt/steal some Brady/Manning style of play. Stay you live run you die.

I'd say RG's a muscle car and Brady's a luxury car.

Brady may move smarter, but not better. It's not even close.

nope.  I remember watching this game with my bro-in-law live, as it happened.  It was 4th and 10 with less than 2 minutes left in the game and Washington was down 4.  Got to be one of the top 10 most clutch plays of the 2012 NFL season. 

RGIIIclutch.gif

and then later on that same drive, he made this throw:

RGIII1.gif

I think he meant by move better the short evade steps which is athleticism combined with awareness. Anything over a foot and RG is better:)

I think he meant by move better the short evade steps which is athleticism combined with awareness. Anything over a foot and RG is better:)

Tom obviously gets the nod on pocket awareness, and subsequent evasion, but its not his mobility that makes him so good in the pocket. It's his anticipation, and ability to feel pressure and get away from it.

RG3 is a better mover in every regard compared to Tom, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily better in the pocket, and not taking big hits. Something Tom and Peyton avoid with their lives lol.

nope.  I remember watching this game with my bro-in-law live, as it happened.  It was 4th and 10 with less than 2 minutes left in the game and Washington was down 4.  Got to be one of the top 10 most clutch plays of the 2012 NFL season. 

and then later on that same drive, he made this throw:

...one of the comebacks that got away. Defense gave up a 60 or 70 yard TD to Cruz right after that.

...one of the comebacks that got away. Defense gave up a 60 or 70 yard TD to Cruz right after that.

He came darn close to sweeping the division. As a rookie. Crazy. I think the Redskins are going to win the division again and the sky is the limit for them. Should be fun watching Griff and Eli duke it out for the next few years.