Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One Guy's Study Putting Manning At No 1

dw49

You have hit the nail on the head,  I believe that the Colts wasted the GOAT with the way they built the team.  Too small and always injured.   I love what Pagano and Grigson are doing.  I think Luck will win more SB's and will be a great QB but never as good as Peyton.  The Colts are finally going in the right direction IMO. 

A stubborn resistance to free agency, injuries, and questionable drafting hurt the Colts from 2007 on. I really wish we could change some of that, but we can't.

It's clear, however, that Grigson is a different kind of GM than Polian was, and Pagano is a different kind of head coach than Mora/Dungy/Caldwell. I hope Grigson's drafting works out well. Can't do anything about injuries. 

The 81 49ers were not one of the most stacked team in NFL history but I have a feeling if that was the only Super Bowl won by Montana he wouldn't be on this list.  His last two wins though came on two of the most stacked teams in NFL history and you can't just ignore that. 

With that said I don't have an issue with Montana being on this list if people want to put them up there.  I just have more of an issue if people want to put him on the list only because he just wins without factoring other factors.  I've gone on the record many times saying team accomplishments are not a good way to measure individual players.  Look at Jerry Rice when was the last time someone said he was the best WR to ever play the game just because he was on four Super Bowl Championship teams?  Most people point to his solo accomplishments to make that case for him. 

Like I said in my first post, what makes these arguments so much fun and never ending is that different things matter to different people on different levels when making decisions on who is the "best of all time". 

That game against Cleveland was for the NFL championship. They just plain killed us. Gary Collins caught 3 tds and like you say Brown had a big day also. Not only did they run and pass all over us but they held us to something like 150 yards of offense. I think Shula orchestrated this bomb also. I just remember being in shock as I thought we would have little trouble against Cleveland that day. No wonder we traded Shula for a bowling ball a few years later...

A stubborn resistance to free agency, injuries, and questionable drafting hurt the Colts from 2007 on. I really wish we could change some of that, but we can't.

It's clear, however, that Grigson is a different kind of GM than Polian was, and Pagano is a different kind of head coach than Mora/Dungy/Caldwell. I hope Grigson's drafting works out well. Can't do anything about injuries. 

You could say "a stubborn resistance to free agency " but I think it was more of an issue of Polian wanting to keep his group together. He felt it was better to over spend on your own rather than over spend on another team's players. If you think back to Polians first year's , he spent a fortune on free agents. 

I hate to keep bringing up NE , but they indeed had the right formula. You don't over spend on any player. You let your own walk and shop for bargains after the other *s blow their wads .

It obviously affected the Colts game plan, but to say it helped a dome team like the Colts more than the Bears is ridiculous.

Now your putting words into my mouth. Not one time did I say the rain helped the Colts over the Bears. The raid did effect the turnovers in favor of the Colts. That is two time you have insulted me. If my opinion is not of your liking just ignore me and do not response to my comments.

There are soo many "Great" qbs it's hard to say but its hard for me not to rank them in this order.

#1 Dan Marino

#2 John Unitas

#3 John Elway

#4 Joe Montana

#5 Peyton Manning

After that I think its Brady, Neimeith, Bradshaw and an elite few others. I don't think you can discount how much some of those guys did with less talent and supporting cast and how much those guys improved their teams. If there was a wins above replacement like for baseball I think its pretty evident that Dan Marino would be on top. The eras that some of these guys played in is so different too...where you could mug a receiver and get away with it compared to today's game.

Namath has to be the most overrated player in NFL history. 

Posted · Hidden by Superman, July 20, 2013 - bickering
Hidden by Superman, July 20, 2013 - bickering

Now your putting words into my mouth. Not one time did I say the rain helped the Colts over the Bears. The raid did effect the turnovers in favor of the Colts. That is two time you have insulted me. If my opinion is not of your liking just ignore me and do not response to my comments.

I put words into your mouth? You seemed to imply just what I said. Otherwise, I'm not sure what your point was.

I put words into your mouth? You seemed to imply just what I said. Otherwise, I'm not sure what your point was.

Does my comments really need to be explained to you? I debated my comments and all you did was insult me. Like I said before, do not response to my comments with your insults. If you care to have a debate and not an argument that's fine. Other that that just bypass my comments because I don't care to argue with you.

Does my comments really need to be explained to you? I debated my comments and all you did was insult me. Like I said before, do not response to my comments with your insults. If you care to have a debate and not an argument that's fine. Other that that just bypass my comments because I don't care to argue with you.

Yes, they do need explained because you seem to condradict yourself.

I will "response to your comments" as I see fit.

And calling one narrow minded simply because they disagree with you might be taken as an insult....so you climb down off that high horse.

PS to offer another response / comment further to my first repeated below after the quotes  I throw this out

Many ask if the great players from the past can play today, Peyton has said and wrote in a forward to a book on Unitas's Life that Unitas  could  play and star now and anytime in nfl history as he was  that good

My question is how many of todays players considered great can SURVIVE in the old NFL we grew up in. A time when   vicious play was legal and one often played hurt and scientific conditioning and surgical fix's and rehab in general were of lessor quality. 

many of todays players would simply get to hurt to play

How many QB'ss could survive the likes of Decon Jones , etc etc etc, 

There are many players today that are legends already, but the  great names of old are truly legendary

I'm of the same generation... born in 49. I have to agree , there was only one John Unitas. The only thing I don't understand looking back is how could that team lose with all those super stars .Unitas,  Moore , Mackey , Berry , Parker , Marchetti and the rest. How about Big Daddy Liscome ? I really don't remember him all that well as I didn't become an avid fan until about 1961. But just google that guy and you'll find people that think he may have been the most dominant guy ever to play that position.What an amazing story that man was. I was in total awe reading accounts of his off filed stuff as well as descriptions of his talent. Just crazy good reading.

Must be that some teams just had better balance than us .. we sure did bury them all with "star power."

Johnny Unitas to be the best ever to play the game. He holds three NFL championships, one of them the Super Bowl. Additionally, when he retired, he had many records, such as most pass completions, most touchdowns, and most consecutive games throwing touchdown passes., & REVOLUTIONIZED GAME

DO NOT GET ME STARTED WISH I NEW WHERE TO GO ON LONG THING I WROTE ON HIM < BUT NOT GOING TO POST IT A 4th time thopugh has been awhile

all will say when asked by a flock of reporters why in world would u risk throwing to  mutcheller ( sp ) in next to last play of OT win in 58 just before Ameche run, esp as if picked off was a sideline pass and would of been returned for a winning td for Giants , 

HE SAID WHEN U KNOW WHAT U R DOING ITS NOT A RISK

when asked why did u just not take the field goal a few plays back

He said thats not how I wanted to win this game

HE WAS THE BOSS MORE THAN PEYTON

were some shocking losses, Unitas came in late and played hurt in SB 3, hurt all year, would of won if Earl Morral on a Flea Flicker only saw a wide open WR with no one near him for easy TD but thats wasnt in the cards I guess

Jim Brown ran nuts and Browns beat Us once like by massive score to 0, not sure if was for NFL championship or for who plays in Superbowl, think nfl championship but really not sure

Packers of the 60's had Lombardi, Bart Star played 56 to 71  and a backfield of paul hurning and Jim Taylor, best 1- 2 punch possibly in NFL history , Taylor had been the Pack's all-time leading rusher for over fifty years before Ahman Green came along, but he still holds the records for single season and career touchdowns , over 80 , and 5 straight probowls 

with those guys packers won from 57 through 66 4 nfl titles and first SB, &   Taylor played 58 to 66 so missed 57 win, in 67 still won SB 2 Vs oakland, with star & lombardi , still had star ,  still had  ray nitche, hern atterly other greats & LOMBARDI

so were some great teams back then , great times , less teams, 14 games , man an offseason from that would hurt today 

but competition was good among best teams

Have a great weekend,  I'm shuting this computer down for night, rest a bit , eat some good food etc

will he on & off over weekend

Yes, they do need explained because you seem to condradict yourself.

I will "response to your comments" as I see fit.

And calling one narrow minded simply because they disagree with you might be taken as an insult....so you climb down off that high horse.

I said quit responding to me. I don't care to read your comments to me. Is that clear enough? You don't like my opinions? So what? 

You have hit the nail on the head,  I believe that the Colts wasted the GOAT with the way they built the team.  Too small and always injured.   I love what Pagano and Grigson are doing.  I think Luck will win more SB's and will be a great QB but never as good as Peyton.  The Colts are finally going in the right direction IMO. 

& what a waste & disservice to Colts and such a great QB and how others , not me see  Peytons legacy tainted by the 1 win and not team concept, 

Even if could of goten later years # 1 picks right like Ugoh , Hughes , Brown could of helped, Polian himself said if your first pick fails it takes a long time to overcome that, and consider Ugoh a # 1 pick after  they traded the next years 1st rounder for right to draft  ugoh yet, what a waste

All-time QB rankings are for the most part futile and ridiculous.

There are too many other 'team' variables involved.

And even then someone will argue certain variables, or stats, to "prove" their point, while completely ignoring other equally valid points because it weakens their argument.

"Brady has won 3 titles." How many has he won without Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymore, Ty Law, etc...? And last I checked, that first Patriot Championship wouldn't have happened without a ridiculous tuck rule that the refs pulled out of their rear (Which I noticed Manning didn't get the benefit of against the Ravens in the playoffs), or Bledsoe winning that preceding AFC Championship game. Selective amnesia always paints a rose-colored history.

"Montana has four titles." Well so did Bradshaw. By the way, Bart Starr has 5 titles but nobody wants to give that the credit it deserves because "Three of those were just pre-Super Bowl NFL titles... blah, blah, blah..."

Heck, Otto Graham led the Browns to 10 consecutive championship games (4 AAFL, 6 NFL), winning seven of them. Nobody ever mentions that.

Most of those 'elite' QB's wouldn't have had the success they've had without having a stout defense on their team as well. Some absolutely great QB's didn't have the benefit of that. Marino comes to mind.

And you usually don't find great QB's without that particular team they played for having a great head coach. Without Bill Walsh, or Bill Belichick, Montana and Brady probably have no rings.

The championship only argument is ridiculous. There are too many other things involved.

I would say that you could have a 'table' that the greatest of all time could have a seat at, but not one in particular that's ahead of the rest.

I said quit responding to me. I don't care to read your comments to me. Is that clear enough? You don't like my opinions? So what?

You're nuts

And even then someone will argue certain variables, or stats, to "prove" their point, while completely ignoring other equally valid points because it weakens their argument.

"Brady has won 3 titles." How many has he won without Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymore, Ty Law, etc...? And last I checked, that first Patriot Championship wouldn't have happened without a ridiculous tuck rule that the refs pulled out of their rear (Which I noticed Manning didn't get the benefit of against the Ravens in the playoffs), or Bledsoe winning that preceding AFC Championship game. Selective amnesia always paints a rose-colored history.

"Montana has four titles." Well so did Bradshaw. By the way, Bart Starr has 5 titles but nobody wants to give that the credit it deserves because "Three of those were just pre-Super Bowl NFL titles... blah, blah, blah..."

Heck, Otto Graham led the Browns to 10 consecutive championship games (4 AAFL, 6 NFL), winning seven of them. Nobody ever mentions that.

Most of those 'elite' QB's wouldn't have had the success they've had without having a stout defense on their team as well. Some absolutely great QB's didn't have the benefit of that. Marino comes to mind.

And you usually don't find great QB's without that particular team they played for having a great head coach. Without Bill Walsh, or Bill Belichick, Montana and Brady probably have no rings.

The championship only argument is ridiculous. There are too many other things involved.

I would say that you could have a 'table' that the greatest of all time could have a seat at, but not one in particular that's ahead of the rest.

great points

Maybe its just that hes my childhood hero but I can not see someone for me dethroning Flying The Friendly Skies of UNITAS

Re UInitas see my comment # 39, repeated in comment 50

Have a great day

Manning is one of the best, that's all you can ever say. I had to give a speech once on why Brady was better. We had to give the opposite viewpoint of what we believed on an emotionally charged issue. So while everyone gave their speech on serious and sometimes even depressing matters, I took the chance to make people laugh. I mean you can have a preference, but what I learned is no one can really say who is better, and that is just in this generation. It will always be debatable.

But I still look back at the Super Bowl run as miraculous. It was like the one true glimpse of what we tried to always be as a team over the years but failed to do. Sure Manning helped a mediocre team at times look phenomenal. But they did win one for him regardless of what anyone says.

My name is BobbyMorris94 on here because me and my friend always loved Rob Morris on video games and in real life and gave him the nickname. Getting Booger and starting him over that scrub Gardner that got ran over all year and getting Bob Sanders back gave this team new life.

Just have to love the defense that year. They seemed to actually stunt and play the run with Mathis and Freeney and it was lights out with the rest of the squad clicking better than they ever did. I feel guys really put it all on the line, and Rob Morris was a big part of that and led by example. But Bob Sanders was the best safety I ever saw to take the field when was healthy. I don’t care what anyone says. He impacted the game more than any defender I can remember.

Our defense won us that Super Bowl, and lost us the next one we made it to along with the special teams, but that was a much different unit.

The best team wins the Super Bowl, not the best quarterback. Sometimes the best team goes 10-6 in the regular season and catches fire. Sometimes they have arguably the best quarterback, but the Colts were the best team that year because we fixed our horrid defense miraculously when it mattered. And that's why it was so sweet. That level of redemption after all those years getting run over by teams and stomped by the Pats in the playoffs will be hard to overcome as a fan. That was the best championship ever in football for me and will be almost impossible to top even if we win it all again. Ok well Luck getting one his second year would be sweet considering where we were just 2 years ago to this day. But man, that run still gives me the butterflies. Our defense was one of the best I ever saw take the field for those four games.

So if we ever can establish a solid all-around team and defense, and Luck does progress to elite like all signs indicate, we should become a dynasty. We have some curveballs coming for teams this year, should be interesting to see how much this team grows from year one to year two...

My favorite post I've ever read!

If Manning had the defense the Pats had he would've won 5 super bowls possibly. 

"Playing Rex Grossman in the rain also helped".

I didn't put that in your mouth

"Playing Rex Grossman in the rain also helped".

I didn't put that in your mouth

So sarcasm needs to be explained to you also? If it makes you feel like you have to have the last word like a child then be my guest. Like I said I will not argue with you so go find someone else to play child games with.

So sarcasm needs to be explained to you also? If it makes you feel like you have to have the last word like a child then be my guest. Like I said I will not argue with you so go find someone else to play child games with.

Take a chill pill. I use sarcasm all the time, and if you think that was obvious sarcasm, well, you are wrong.

The 81 49ers were not one of the most stacked team in NFL history but I have a feeling if that was the only Super Bowl won by Montana he wouldn't be on this list.  His last two wins though came on two of the most stacked teams in NFL history and you can't just ignore that.

With that said I don't have an issue with Montana being on this list if people want to put them up there.  I just have more of an issue if people want to put him on the list only because he just wins without factoring other factors.  I've gone on the record many times saying team accomplishments are not a good way to measure individual players.  Look at Jerry Rice when was the last time someone said he was the best WR to ever play the game just because he was on four Super Bowl Championship teams?  Most people point to his solo accomplishments to make that case for him. 

Like I said in my first post, what makes these arguments so much fun and never ending is that different things matter to different people on different levels when making decisions on who is the "best of all time". 

Oh I agree, I know who I prefer in a big moment and it's not always logical. Or based on stats. Just guys I believe in and would feel 100% comfortable starting a SB for my team.

As to the those Niners teams, people make all four teams out to be these crazy unbeatable super teams after the fact, but in real time? Not so much. It’s an easy argument retrospectively, but when you sit down and really look at those seasons:

The 1984 team was only a -3.5 favorite against Miami at old Stanford Stadium, essentially the last home SB. 3.5 at home is basically a pick em. like the 1981 SB.  

The 1989 team - That was a 10-6 team that nearly fell apart and didn’t make the playoffs at all. Joe was hurt all year, missed multiple games and if Steve had played better or had better luck during the middle of that season… maybe history would be different. They were 6-5 at one point, coming off back to back losses and being almost shut out by the Raiders. Walsh was completely burnt out and running on fumes.  And they very nearly lost to the Bengals in the SB, but the drive happened.*

Sooo two pick em games and 10-6 team with a last minute win. Those are hardly unbeatable teams.

Now that 1990 team? Yep. Dominating season, dominating super bowl. 

*Manning for all his great stats just doesn't have that kind of moment in the SB yet, and not for lack of opportunity. That drive against the Saints was a killer.

I agree. 4 super bowl wins with 2 super bowl MVPs and a HOFer. Kind of hard to overlook those numbers. Most thought the Steel Curtain were responsible for those super bowl wins but looking at the super bowl stats Terry played very well as their QB.

Most thought the Steel Curtain was responsible for those super Bowl wins because it was.

If you could go back and watch thsoe games (I know its hard to now) but you'd agree

Terry Bradshaw was a lot like Joe Flacco...

Manning is one of the best, that's all you can ever say. I had to give a speech once on why Brady was better. We had to give the opposite viewpoint of what we believed on an emotionally charged issue. So while everyone gave their speech on serious and sometimes even depressing matters, I took the chance to make people laugh. I mean you can have a preference, but what I learned is no one can really say who is better, and that is just in this generation. It will always be debatable.

But I still look back at the Super Bowl run as miraculous. It was like the one true glimpse of what we tried to always be as a team over the years but failed to do. Sure Manning helped a mediocre team at times look phenomenal. But they did win one for him regardless of what anyone says.

My name is BobbyMorris94 on here because me and my friend always loved Rob Morris on video games and in real life and gave him the nickname. Getting Booger and starting him over that scrub Gardner that got ran over all year and getting Bob Sanders back gave this team new life.

Just have to love the defense that year. They seemed to actually stunt and play the run with Mathis and Freeney and it was lights out with the rest of the squad clicking better than they ever did. I feel guys really put it all on the line, and Rob Morris was a big part of that and led by example. But Bob Sanders was the best safety I ever saw to take the field when was healthy. I don’t care what anyone says. He impacted the game more than any defender I can remember.

Our defense won us that Super Bowl, and lost us the next one we made it to along with the special teams, but that was a much different unit.

The best team wins the Super Bowl, not the best quarterback. Sometimes the best team goes 10-6 in the regular season and catches fire. Sometimes they have arguably the best quarterback, but the Colts were the best team that year because we fixed our horrid defense miraculously when it mattered. And that's why it was so sweet. That level of redemption after all those years getting run over by teams and stomped by the Pats in the playoffs will be hard to overcome as a fan. That was the best championship ever in football for me and will be almost impossible to top even if we win it all again. Ok well Luck getting one his second year would be sweet considering where we were just 2 years ago to this day. But man, that run still gives me the butterflies. Our defense was one of the best I ever saw take the field for those four games.

So if we ever can establish a solid all-around team and defense, and Luck does progress to elite like all signs indicate, we should become a dynasty. We have some curveballs coming for teams this year, should be interesting to see how much this team grows from year one to year two...

I must say that one of the Indianapolis Colts 'urban legends' is that Indy defense won the only Super Bowl..

..and that proves that a pass-dominant offense wasnt the way to go

That's not the way I recall it.  Not even close.  That's the year they gave up 44 points at Jacksonville, right?

.....and the year the AFC title game was 38-34....

.....The Super Bowl vs. the Bears was a game vs. a bad offenisve team with REx Grossman at QB and Ced Benson at RB..

...the Colts ran the ball well that day because the Bears loosened up the 'box' to defend Peyton after he hit the big one to Reggie

..can we stop saying the Colts won in 2006 because of their great defense?

I must say that one of the Indianapolis Colts 'urban legends' is that Indy defense won the only Super Bowl..

..and that proves that a pass-dominant offense wasnt the way to go

That's not the way I recall it.  Not even close.  That's the year they gave up 44 points at Jacksonville, right?

.....and the year the AFC title game was 38-34....

.....The Super Bowl vs. the Bears was a game vs. a bad offenisve team with REx Grossman at QB and Ced Benson at RB..

...the Colts ran the ball well that day because the Bears loosened up the 'box' to defend Peyton after he hit the big one to Reggie

..can we stop saying the Colts won in 2006 because of their great defense?

I guess causing 5 turnovers and 2 interceptions with 1 TD wasn't the defense? Holding the Bears to 265 total yards was not the defense? Holding the Bears to 3-10 on first downs was not the defense? Maybe you should go back and watch the game.

We understandebly only rank QBs we see lots of film of...But one guy's winning numbers stand far above ther rest....

Hall-of-Famer Otto Graham (voted one of the NFL's top-10 players all-time) won an all-time pro record seven league titles

and led the Cleveland Browns to the league title game in ALL10 years in his pro football..career

He played nine years..(winning 6 championships) ...retired..and came out of retirement to lead his team to the 1955 NFL title..

In his final year..he led the NFL in passing and was the league MVP...

He lost only 20 games as a starting QB in 10 years.....and his career win percentage 114-20 wont be broken by anyone in our lifetime .

You really cant have a list of the Top-5 QBs of all time and not include Otto Graham. Its just not allowed

I guess causing 5 turnovers and 2 interceptions with 1 TD wasn't the defense? 

No.....'caused' ????? Rex Grosman dropped the ball twice.....in the rain

..and the AFC title game was 38-34..come 'on now...tell ther WHOLE story

..and we lost 44-17 at Jacksonville that year.....We didnt win the 2006 title because of the defense. Its just not true. Not close.

No.....'caused' ????? Rex Grosman dropped the ball twice.....in the rain

..and the AFC title game was 38-34..come 'on now...tell ther WHOLE story

..and we lost 44-17 at Jacksonville that year.....We didnt win the 2006 title because of the defense. Its just not true. Not close.

???

We shut down two of the best rushing offenses in the league in the first two playoff games, one of them on the road. Gave up a total of 14 points in those two games, combined. 

Against the Patriots, we shut down their run game in the second half, and kept Brady in check, helping the offense work on the comeback.

Then the Bears team that scored 27 and 39 points in their first two playoff games only scored 17 against us.

Please don't discredit the good performance of the defense in the playoffs that year.

That's one way to describe it.

Another way to describe it would be:  absolutely horrendous drafting to the point that Bill Polian should have been sued for breech of contract.