Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on raider's left tackle jared veldheer?

Veldheer if you ask me is a top 5 LT in the league, but Castonzo is young and has a lot of ability. I think this year Castonzo makes the leap to top 10 LT and by next year he'll be a top 5 one himself. It's a position that takes a little while to hit your peak, and Castonzo has all the talent/work ethic needed to be an elite one. I would not pay for Veldheer.

Getting a top left tackle in free agency costs a lot of money.  Based on Ryan Clady's deal, it's gonna be more then 10 million a year.

The reality is that you can't afford to get the top player at every position or even a top 5 player at every position.  

Let's see how Castonzo does.  But I'm not inclined to replace him just yet.  Especially since we have this season and next season on a cheap rookie contract.  

way too much $$ invested in line if we were to sign him.

not good businesss IMO.

We could always dump gosder to make more room.That now makes two very poor selections by grigs(i thought this guy knew the line position) on our line.The other being satele.

After Clady's deal was done, Veldeheer will want something similar. Unless he stinks it up this year, I'm not ready to give up on Castonzo at LT. Not willing to pay the money he'll want.

I don't believe Veldheer is considered to be in Clady's class.

We could always dump gosder to make more room.That now makes two very poor selections by grigs(i thought this guy knew the line position) on our line.The other being satele.

You have already decided Cherilus is a bust?

You have already decided Cherilus is a bust?

I've seen enough of him in detroit to come to that conclusion...yes.His best year being last...a contract year.He's a serviceable RT,but yet again,so was winston justice.But justice is like 30 million cheaper.I'm not happy with this decision at all.I would be VERY surprise if he play well.

I've seen enough of him in detroit to come to that conclusion...yes.His best year being last...a contract year.He's a serviceable RT,but yet again,so was winston justice.But justice is like 30 million cheaper.I'm not happy with this decision at all.I would be VERY surprise if he play well.

Justice was below serviceable and Gosder was the 2nd best RT in the league last year. It being in a contract year is irrelevant. There's almost zero correlation between player playing good in a contract year and playing poorly after they receiver new contracts.

You really watched the Lions that often? The all-22 film only goes black to last season, but Cherilus was much better than Justice.

You really watched the Lions that often? The all-22 film only goes black to last season, but Cherilus was much better than Justice.

Yes,he's alittle better(not by much) than winston,but certainly not for that ridiculous contract we gave him.I have my fingers crossed that ben(ijalana) can come back and give us something of value and provide an insurance policy for this mistake.

Yes,he's alittle better(not by much) than winston,but certainly not for that ridiculous contract we gave him.I have my fingers crossed that ben(ijalana) can come back and give us something of value and provide an insurance policy for this mistake.

So we're not going to even wait to see him on the field in a Colts uniform before declaring him a mistake?  Gotcha.

So we're not going to even wait to see him on the field in a Colts uniform before declaring him a mistake?  Gotcha.

Yeah,pretty much.He tanked virtually all of his career in detroit,then played well last year(contract year),just to get a sucker to bite and unfortunately that sucker was us.He'll play lousy and we'll cut him next year.

We had a connection here and missed the boat. Hillsdale is a tiny (1100 students) division 2 school . Howard Mudd graduated from there and you would think he would have ties with his old school and knew this kid inside and out. Mudd I believe left the Colts during this kids senior year but you would think we would have had him well scouted. The Colts despite a horrible offensive line took Pat Angerer at pick 63. Veldheer went to Oakland with the 69th pick. Not that i would have expected Chris Polian to do better than Jerry Hughes at 1 , Angerer at 2 , Thomas CB at 3 and some obscure OL that hardly played in college at 4.

Yeah,pretty much.He tanked virtually all of his career in detroit,then played well last year(contract year),just to get a sucker to bite and unfortunately that sucker was us.He'll play lousy and we'll cut him next year.

I always shake my head when I hear people make accusations such as this. You are basically stating that the man is fundamentally lazy, and that his goal is to defraud his employers while doing as little as possible. He just played well in his contract year as part of an elaborate con game, and now he can go back to willfully under-performing. Does that really make sense to you?

Note that somehow in the middle of this fraud, he accidentally played well enough to be a first round draft pick, and to start virtually every game of his professional career.

I always shake my head when I hear people make accusations such as this. You are basically stating that the man is fundamentally lazy, and that his goal is to defraud his employers while doing as little as possible. He just played well in his contract year as part of an elaborate con game, and now he can go back to willfully under-performing. Does that really make sense to you?

Note that somehow in the middle of this fraud, he accidentally played well enough to be a first round draft pick, and to start virtually every game of his professional career.

Yes,that's basically correct. We've seen many examples of this throughout the years (fat albert haynesworth, cory simon, bob sanders, kerry collins,... just to name a few). He does just enough to get by, and has underperformed most, if not all of his career.

Yes,that's basically correct. We've seen many examples of this throughout the years (fat albert haynesworth, cory simon, bob sanders, kerry collins,... just to name a few). He does just enough to get by, and has underperformed most, if not all of his career.

Lol bob sanders is a terrible example. He was made of glass. Whwn he was healthy he was the best strong safety in the league.

Lol bob sanders is a terrible example. He was made of glass. Whwn he was healthy he was the best strong safety in the league.

Bob is the most highly OVERRATED colt to ever wear our jersey.I just didn't see what so many others did. Its like some form of fan mass hysteria.

You watched Bob Sanders play, and you're accusing him of not giving enough effort - unless it was a contract year? That makes so little sense that it boggles the mind. "Bob Sanders = lazy". OK then. I think I'll just sit back and wait for 21isSuperman to find this one. :)

And I guess that Collin's Super Bowl run and comeback with the Titans were contract years too, right? What about 2011 - wasn't that a contract year? Hmmm. How ridiculous. I guess Kurt Warner was just taking it easy between Super Bowl runs as well, right. In your mind I guess he only rebounded because he needed the money? Life is a bit more complicated than that.

With Haynesworth and Simon you mention two of the most bizarre situations in the history of the sport, and claim that they are examples of a common behavior. Both men had issues, and it costs them tens of millions of dollars each. If that's greed and fraud, it's a strange way of demonstrating it.

Bob is the most highly OVERRATED colt to ever wear our jersey.I just didn't see what so many others did. Its like some form of fan mass hysteria.

Well let me explain it to you then since you were apparently in the kitchen getting some milk when it happened.

From the first MOMENT he stepped on the field as a rookie he not only make a tangible impact on the action in terms of his own responsibilities, but his presence improved the attitude and effectiveness of the entire defense. They simply were a better team with him on the field. This same scenario played out for his entire career. In 2006 he missed a lot of time, but his return ultimately had a lot to do with the oft-spoken of fact that "the Colts finally won the Super Bowl because their defense stepped up". Without him, they probably don't win it. Then there was the "defensive player of the year award" the following year. You must have been looking for a box of cookies to go with the milk that season.

The man was a demolition machine whose entire game was predicated on effort and intensity - and his corresponding lack of concern for his own well being led to repeated injuries. When healthy, he had more positive impact on the Colts from the DB position than any player I've seen in the 40+ years I've been watching them. And you accuse him of being a lazy fraud? 

I was just reading a different thread in which your odd adoration of Kirk Cousins led to someone speculating that you were trolling. I thought that was a bit unfair. Now I'm starting to wonder.

Some of the responses here are truly mind boggling.  

Anthony Castonzo may end up in the top 7 THIS year.  Two and three step drops by Luck will be the norm as well as designed roll-outs.  We will not see the QB killing 5-7 step drops on every pass play that we had with BA!  

Almost ALL of our best running plays were to the left, and occurred when Shipley was at center an Link was at LG....amazing I know :)

I feel the same about Cherilus.  He is with a new team...new coach...a more family atmosphere.  Bradshaw and Ballard are a nice motivator...and a fella by the name of LUCK!!!   :colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet: !!!!!!

Well let me explain it to you then since you were apparently in the kitchen getting some milk when it happened.

From the first MOMENT he stepped on the field as a rookie he not only make a tangible impact on the action in terms of his own responsibilities, but his presence improved the attitude and effectiveness of the entire defense. They simply were a better team with him on the field. This same scenario played out for his entire career. In 2006 he missed a lot of time, but his return ultimately had a lot to do with the oft-spoken of fact that "the Colts finally won the Super Bowl because their defense stepped up". Without him, they probably don't win it. Then there was the "defensive player of the year award" the following year. You must have been looking for a box of cookies to go with the milk that season.

The man was a demolition machine whose entire game was predicated on effort and intensity - and his corresponding lack of concern for his own well being led to repeated injuries. When healthy, he had more positive impact on the Colts from the DB position than any player I've seen in the 40+ years I've been watching them. And you accuse him of being a lazy fraud? 

I was just reading a different thread in which your odd adoration of Kirk Cousins led to someone speculating that you were trolling. I thought that was a bit unfair. Now I'm starting to wonder.

I don't really care for your tone and its quite offensive. I have nothng else to say to you.

This is bob's career stats. Yeah, he was a real world beater. He should've never won the DPOY award. The guy was never healthy... never. Even when he was, he was nothing special.

Year Team GP GS Tackles Sacks Ints 2004 IND 6 4 34 0 0 2005 IND 14 14 91 0 1 2006 IND 4 4 27 0 1 2007 IND 15 15 97 3.5 2 2008 IND 6 6 39 0 1 2009 IND 2 2 3 0 1 2010 IND 1 1 0 0 0 2011 SD 2 2 12 0 0 Career   50 48 302 3.5 6

This is bob's career stats. Yeah, he was a real world beater. He should've never won the DPOY award. The guy was never healthy... never. Even when he was, he was nothing special.

Year Team GP GS Tackles Sacks Ints 2004 IND 6 4 34 0 0 2005 IND 14 14 91 0 1 2006 IND 4 4 27 0 1 2007 IND 15 15 97 3.5 2 2008 IND 6 6 39 0 1 2009 IND 2 2 3 0 1 2010 IND 1 1 0 0 0 2011 SD 2 2 12 0 0 Career 50 48 302 3.5 6

Um, he's a SS who played primarly in he box. Im pretty sure he led all DBs in sacks, and tackles for loss in his DPOY. Nobody threw into his coverage and he never missed tackles. People were scared to go over the middle because Bob would destroy them (and himself).

Year Team GP GS Tackles Sacks Ints 2004 IND 6 4 34 0 0 2005 IND 14 14 91 0 1 2006 IND 4 4 27 0 1 2007 IND 15 15 97 3.5 2 2008 IND 6 6 39 0 1 2009 IND 2 2 3 0 1 2010 IND 1 1 0 0 0 2011 SD 2 2 12 0 0 Career   50 48 302 3.5 6

Bob was one of the absolute best 'clean' hitters in the game.  He was special in that he not only could hit ya, but also wrap and tackle.  This is an art we need to see more of IMO.

Bob 'hit' himself into injuries.  He just could not give less than 110% on every play.  While it was his downfall injury wise, I applauded every effort Bob Sanders gave our Indianapolis Colts

As Dustin said...(In My words :)) When healthy, Sanders was as good as it gets...a "Lights out" performer.   :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!!

Bob was one of the absolute best 'clean' hitters in the game.  He was special in that he not only could hit ya, but also wrap and tackle.  This is an art we need to see more of IMO.

Bob 'hit' himself into injuries.  He just could not give less than 110% on every play.  While it was his downfall injury wise, I applauded every effort Bob Sanders gave our Indianapolis Colts

As Dustin said...(In My words :)) When healthy, Sanders was as good as it gets...a "Lights out" performer.   :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!!

And i've always liked you brent, because you're so happy go lucky. And you also understand the game quite well. Maybe, i'm too harsh on bobby, but i remember us being at a constant disadvantage, because the dude was always hurt.

And i've always liked you brent, because you're so happy go lucky. And you also understand the game quite well. Maybe, i'm too harsh on bobby, but i remember us being at a constant disadvantage, because the dude was always hurt.

Thank you Indiana Jones!  

I have to admit I may at one point had been Bob's harshest critic in terms of injuries.  

I have to ask myself:  Why was it Bob's fault?  So we as fans saw an injured Sanders when maybe Bill Polian should have reacted with a release?  We probably would have been saying : " Remember how tough Bob Sanders was at SS.  Too bad injuries shortened what would have possibly been a HOF career."  Who knows?   :)