Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some NFL Hall of Fame thoughts..... (Long)

NewColtsFan

It's the off-season and the Hall of Fame ceremonies come up in about 6-7 weeks....

I'd like to offer some thoughts for consideration....

I've noticed some posts in various threads talking about how this guy and that guy are Hall of Fame 'locks'....    maybe those views are correct, and maybe not...

But from where I stand the NFL Hall of Fame has some serious problems.

They only admit 7 people a year.   That's a tiny number for a game exploding in performance, popularity and media coverage.     And recently, you've no doubt noticed that typically every year, one of those seven spots goes to a coach or owner.     Now, you've only got six players being enshrined every year...

And with the relaxing of the rules and the explosion of offensive numbers,  I think it distorts the criteria for getting in.

So, just saying that Player X is a lock because he ran for so many yards, or caught so many passes, and scored so many TD's loses its impact.

If you're not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, I don't think most anyone is a lock anymore.   A small handful will be,  but the majority I think are going to sweat the process out.     Guys will be getting in on the 5th ballot,  the 8th ballot,  the 10th ballot.   I think guys like Edge and Marvin and Reggie are on the bubble.   Not because they're not worthy, they are.   But because they're competing with so many other guys with roughly similar numbers and very few spots to fill.    And being in a small media market doesn't help their cause.

And there are more and more talented guys in the pipeline....   some great guys are going to get screwed.

If I were the NFL I'd up the number of players admitted every year to 11.   That's a magic number in football,  so let's enshrine 11 players and 1 owner/coach every year.    I think that'd be far more fair to far more players.

Just a different perspective.....

I don't think Marvin is on the bubble. It may take several attempts, but I would be shocked if he doesn't get in. I actually prefer Reggie over Marvin, but Reggie could definitely be on the outside looking in when it comes to the HOF.

Very well written topic NCF & a fascinating subject worthy of countless hours of discussion my friend. Another point of order: Why can't Charles Haley with 5 rings get in the HOF? Who cares if he didn't kiss the media's butt? The proof is in the pudding man! BTW, SW1 does respect journalists good ones anyone.  ;)  :thmup:

When people talk about campaigning for NFL athletes what exactly is involved? Cris Carter could shed some valuable light on this...Who do you talk to first the VP at Canton Ohio? Rich Eisen on NFL Network? Your former team owner? Your state senators? Former NFL greats already in the hallowed hall like Howie Long or Dick Butkus? Do you go on a natl smoozing radio tour convincing fans across the U.S. to like you & promote your ascension into NFL history & the record books?

This would be another great story for ESPN or the NFL Network to do an in depth series on...If a name gets passed over for consideration this year, is it like starting the whole process over again or does that name jump a few hurdles in the screening process the next year? How do writers & media types get on the HOF voting list? Are there term limits on eligibility for voting? If a person steps down, how is their replacement selected? A rigorous process, seniority, or the prestige of the paper or network you work for? 

"You've no doubt noticed that typically every year, one of those seven spots goes to a coach or owner. Now, you've only got six players being enshrined every year..." NCF

You raise a profound point. IMHO there should be an additional/separate category for owners/HCs & 1 for Special Teams players as well. You don't have to fill it every year, but special categories/dispensations should be made to not lose a players spot to an administrative position etc. 

Also put more NFL players on the HOF selection committee please. People who fully grasp playing through injuries & the mental & physical grind of playing year after year. When Bayone posted a list of all the HOF voters, I was dumbfounded to see all the voters who had zero NFL experience. It was disgusting actually. Tony Dungy & Terry Bradshaw was all that I remember with NFL playing experience. 

I don't think Marvin is on the bubble. It may take several attempts, but I would be shocked if he doesn't get in. I actually prefer Reggie over Marvin, but Reggie could definitely be on the outside looking in when it comes to the HOF.

I wasn't trying to debate the worthiness of any candidate.    Only the idea that unless you're a first ballot Hall of Famer,  I'd be nervous about being thought of as a lock.    

For all I know all the Colts will eventually get in.....     I just think the system as it stands now is badly flawed and will be unfair to lots of quality players.

I wasn't trying to debate the worthiness of any candidate.    Only the idea that unless you're a first ballot Hall of Famer,  I'd be nervous about being thought of as a lock.    

For all I know all the Colts will eventually get in.....     I just think the system as it stands now is badly flawed and will be unfair to lots of quality players.

I know, and I agree