Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano on playing AFC South offenses....

NewColtsFan

I'm looking for good things from Pagano but we were spoiled with many wins under Arians.  Is Pagano going to be a really good coach?  Seems like when things were unraveling in the Baltimore playoff game, I didn't feel a sense of urgency from him - or maybe it seems like things were out of control.  With Arians not there, I think that threw things completely out of whack, and perhaps that's what is was.  I know this is a new topic but has already been talked about I would almost 100 percent guarantee.

I'm looking for good things from Pagano but we were spoiled with many wins under Arians.  Is Pagano going to be a really good coach?  Seems like when things were unraveling in the Baltimore playoff game, I didn't feel a sense of urgency from him - or maybe it seems like things were out of control.  With Arians not there, I think that threw things completely out of whack, and perhaps that's what is was.  I know this is a new topic but has already been talked about I would almost 100 percent guarantee.

Nah I very highly doubt thats what it was, There was 4 reasons for the loss more then any others in my opinion

1.Turnovers-2 of them

2.We were 0 for 3 inside the red zone

3.Luck only threw for a 51.8 completion rate

4.We played a good defense and an overall good team on the road with there star and heart and soul of the team career on the line and that cant be overlooked, We played some tough teams during the year, Packers, Patriots, Lions, Texans twice, Bears.....3 of those was at home, we won them all at home and only won 1 of them on the road (Lions)-Our schedule was easier as a whole then some will admit

Indy was the team to beat in the AFC South for a long time.  You build ur team to, first, win the division.  Indy was weak against the run, so the Jags, titans, and texans all built strong running teams.  Things have changed and now the colts have a strong run D.   :)

We do since when??? Only time will tell!!

Since we're throwing out opinions, here's mine.

We honestly should've SWEPT the entire division. Jags got lucky game #1 and we killed ourselves game #1 @Hou

I honestly believe this year we'll go 5-1 or 6-0 in the division. I only say 5-1 cause we always get plagued with injuries seems like. But last year with a patchwork team we went 4-2.

That's just my opinion though

Totally agree.  By the time December rolled around, we were clearly the best team in the division......and will very likely be the team to beat this year and years to come, since last year is probably the worst team we'll field for a while.

Jacksonville sucks and will go nowhere with that quarterback; Tennessee improved but is still mediocre.....they also are a huge questionmark at quarterback; Houston has slowly gotten worse since their peak of 2011 and under Kubiak, that team just has no edge or intestinal fortitude (see the many bed crappings they've had in important games and/or primetime games), so they are easy to break mentally. 

6-0 in the division is a very realistic scenario for 2013.

Soo, he's saying we're gonna Win the division this year right? Lol

Yup, pretty much knew this from the signings. Have been saying this for a while. We are a team built for the run. With foster, mjd, and cj2k in your division you better be stout against the run.

:facepalm:

While I agree your first goal is to win your division you do have to realize 1 thing first.....Oakland a couple years ago WON EVERY SINGLE DIVISIONAL GAME and still LOST their division. Granted it is very difficult to win your division if you can't beat the the teams you place twice a year but it does NOT ensure you win the division. The reason we built up our run defense was simply because we had a TERRIBLE run defense.......we wanted to be balanced on defense. It allows you to have extra help in coverage (not having an extra man in the box) and also helps keep your secondary healthy not having to come up and make as many tackles....smallish secondary guys usually get hurt tackling...not covering. I 100% believe Pagano and Grigson believe you WIN GAMES AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE...and that is the basis for beefing up the lines. What Pagano was saying was definately true....our divisional opponents have a very similar offensive scheme and that makes it easier to game plan for....and yes we don't want to have our biggest weakness be their strength...but regardless we have to build a team to win ANY game....not just our divisional ones. Going 6-10 won't do anything for us. It didn't even get Oakland to the playoffs to win their division...and we've seen teams like Cincy get in despite struggling with divisional opponents. You build the best football team you can....you don't build a team to beat certain other teams...it just doesn't work that way. You may add a piece like a lock down corner....or a pass catching TE or something to exploit a weakness but the NFL is hard week in and week out...you can't specialize to beat a couple teams. You have to have the most complete team you can or improve it the best you can to get to the playoffs and win it all. It would do us no good to build a team that could win our division and yet not be able to compete against NE or DEN or BAL or anyone that deploys a pass oriented attack. I fully understand your points about winning the division but we had some terrible run defenses and won the division almost every year....we simply had better talent...a better team...(yes likely due to 1 guy) but we just wanted to build the best team we could...the most complete...and doing so we felt the line of scrimmage was a priority.....it works out well that our division may allow us to face similar looks and stopping the run will be key in winning those 6 games.

I have heard chimes that Tennessee might be having Locker run some Read-option this year... would be interesting to see how we deal with it, although we are playing Seattle and San Fran before we meet them.

I don't mean to state the overly obvious, but I think Locker is the key to Tennessee's success this year.

I thought they had a terrific draft...    I thought they had a very good free agent period...   they've added lots of quality talent...

But,  it all goes back to Locker.    If he can start showing some serious skill, which some seem to think he's got,  then Tennessee could be a load this year.     But otherwise.....  they'll be missing the biggest piece of the puzzle...

While I agree your first goal is to win your division you do have to realize 1 thing first.....Oakland a couple years ago WON EVERY SINGLE DIVISIONAL GAME and still LOST their division. Granted it is very difficult to win your division if you can't beat the the teams you place twice a year but it does NOT ensure you win the division. The reason we built up our run defense was simply because we had a TERRIBLE run defense.......we wanted to be balanced on defense. It allows you to have extra help in coverage (not having an extra man in the box) and also helps keep your secondary healthy not having to come up and make as many tackles....smallish secondary guys usually get hurt tackling...not covering. I 100% believe Pagano and Grigson believe you WIN GAMES AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE...and that is the basis for beefing up the lines. What Pagano was saying was definately true....our divisional opponents have a very similar offensive scheme and that makes it easier to game plan for....and yes we don't want to have our biggest weakness be their strength...but regardless we have to build a team to win ANY game....not just our divisional ones. Going 6-10 won't do anything for us. It didn't even get Oakland to the playoffs to win their division...and we've seen teams like Cincy get in despite struggling with divisional opponents. You build the best football team you can....you don't build a team to beat certain other teams...it just doesn't work that way. You may add a piece like a lock down corner....or a pass catching TE or something to exploit a weakness but the NFL is hard week in and week out...you can't specialize to beat a couple teams. You have to have the most complete team you can or improve it the best you can to get to the playoffs and win it all. It would do us no good to build a team that could win our division and yet not be able to compete against NE or DEN or BAL or anyone that deploys a pass oriented attack. I fully understand your points about winning the division but we had some terrible run defenses and won the division almost every year....we simply had better talent...a better team...(yes likely due to 1 guy) but we just wanted to build the best team we could...the most complete...and doing so we felt the line of scrimmage was a priority.....it works out well that our division may allow us to face similar looks and stopping the run will be key in winning those 6 games.

Oh of course, I agree 100%, our defense has to be able to adjust to any team, not just our division.  But I have to agree to disagree, our sole purpose is not win our division but it should be #1.  We HAVE to gameplan against our division.  For example, look at how the Texans were building their team.  Even though Manning wasn't play them when they had all the pieces together, but the Texans were a very talented team that had a good mix of pass rushers and run stoppers with defensive backs who were able to bang with Peyton MAnning if needed (kudos to Wade Phillips for building that squad).  You have to take care of business at home first.  Not saying our team should be built soley for our division, but it should be tailored to our division and flexible enough to hang with NE and SF, which I think it is for all the reasons you have given.

So I agree, but then disagree also. lol.