Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DT Kyle Love - Released

Drewbacca

There is a chance that Love will retire... he was cut due to his being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes...

They cut him for getting diabetes? As a healthy type 1 diabetic, I find it baffling that diabetes could cause a team to cut him. As long as he isn't an utter * and learns how to deal with it correctly I don't know why this is an issue.

There is a chance that Love will retire... he was cut due to his being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes...

lots of professional athletes have both types of diabetes. Jay Cutler has type 1, the more serious of the two.

I guess Belichick wanted him to take a year off or they would cut him. Another classy move by the patriots..

lots of professional athletes have both types of diabetes. Jay Cutler has type 1, the more serious of the two.

I guess Belichick wanted him to take a year off or they would cut him. Another classy move by the patriots..

You just can't help yourself, huh? ;)

Unless you're an elite player in the NFL, you're a commodity. It's unfortunate but it's true. With the changes they made in the off-season this could have been inevitable anyway. Apparently Tommy Kelly is motivated and has impressed the coaching staff.

You just can't help yourself, huh? ;)

Unless you're an elite player in the NFL, you're a commodity. It's unfortunate but it's true. With the changes they made in the off-season this could have been inevitable anyway. Apparently Tommy Kelly is motivated and has impressed the coaching staff.

then why not just cut him? why bring up the diabetes issue at all?

then why not just cut him? why bring up the diabetes issue at all?

I don't know exactly how that works... they released him under the designation of "non-football injury/illness." I don't know if there is some kind of benefit to the team to do it that way (cap relief?) or if there just has to be some kind of designation.

From what I've heard and read, it would be risky, health-wise, for Love to continue to try to maintain a body weight of 300+ lbs. Obviously he has done that previously by following whatever dietary regimen he was following, which likely contributed to him becoming Diabetic in the first place. So he cannot maintain that body weight and do what's best for him at the same time. If he's dropped 20+ pounds this quickly, it will be difficult for him to manage this.

I realize that you despise the Patriots but if you want to pin this on "class" you're just reaching. What about Marcus Cannon, who the Patriots drafted in 2011? He found out during his combine physical that he had non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and underwent treatment that summer before the season started. He wasn't activated until Week 10. And they used a 5th round pick on him.

It looks cold, I'll concede that, but let's not blur the lines between running a sports franchise and real life.