Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Payroll -- 2011

Superman

I've seen this number all over the place. The major outlets are saying the Colts payroll is checking in over $120 million for 2011, and that's before we sign any of our draft picks and/or free agents. But other smaller outlets are saying that our committed salaries are significantly less than that, and that we'll actually have to spend money to meet the new team minimum payroll before the season starts.

I've gone through a few websites that actually list the contract figures for each team, and for our players under contract. I've compared them, added the numbers up for myself, and tried to reconcile differences. I can't. Something just doesn't make sense.

It's also worth noting that our cap number for last season was approximately $133 million. I don't know how it would have dropped to less than half of that, all things considered.

Without taking into consideration Manning's new contract, or the rookie deals, or signing any of our own free agents, our payroll for 2011 is right around $65 million. So what am I missing (and what is Rotoworld missing, and what is Spotrac missing) that these other outlets see as putting us above $120 million? Even with Manning's $23 million tag, and the RFA tags that are actually valid under the new CBA (which doesn't include Charlie Johnson, Melvin Bullitt and Clint Session), we're still looking at about $90 million, and would have to spend $17 million to meet the minimum.

I'm aware of what the major outlets are reporting, including the go-to NFL guys like Clayton and the like, but what's the real number? Is there an actual way to figure this out?

We were never going to go crazy in the offseason, regardless of the cap numbers. And there were players who would probably have been casualties regardless, like Hayden and Diem (assuming). Session is a free agent, so he doesn't belong on your cough list.

Has anyone seen any details regarding how draft picks will be paid now? I've seen broad numbers, mostly about Cam Newton's eventual deal, but nothing on the overall structure, specifically for 1st rounders.

We were never going to go crazy in the offseason, regardless of the cap numbers. And there were players who would probably have been casualties regardless, like Hayden and Diem (assuming). Session is a free agent, so he doesn't belong on your cough list.

Has anyone seen any details regarding how draft picks will be paid now? I've seen broad numbers, mostly about Cam Newton's eventual deal, but nothing on the overall structure, specifically for 1st rounders.

Agreed, and it's going to be interesting seeing who the Colts cut, because there are a lot of players out there who have mighty big contracts (Diem, Hayden), but at least we got rid of 5M in Bob Sanders. There are also a bunch of useless players taking up a lot of space:

Aaron Fransisco: 1.5M -- He's a backup

*As much as I love him* Dominic Rhodes 1.3M -- Great guy, but we don't need him

Kelvin Hayden 8.1M -- Contract's not up, but 8M is too much.

I'm going to be making a blog on the players we should cut.

I don't think we are going to cut Hayden. It would be great if we could restructure his contract, but with the lack of time we now have I don't think that is even going to be done. If we cut Hayden it just leaves us way to thin when it comes to proven CB's. If he can play the way he was playing last year, before he got hurt - after his rough start which was attributed to adjusting to the new scheme - he still might be overpaid but well worth keeping around.

Very interesting topic, and I've noticed some of the local stuff underselling the problem recently. I think local media is just terrified of losing Polian as a guest. I expect a Hayden restructure, you cant just cut a quality CB even an oft. injured one. I do expect Diem to be outright cut, he's just not worth the coin. Although a certain OL was playing real well in KC last year after we let him go. It will be interesting to see where they decide to spend what limited money they have. This also doesn't look good for Mathis or Wayne next year. Freeney restructure?

I don't think we are going to cut Hayden. It would be great if we could restructure his contract, but with the lack of time we now have I don't think that is even going to be done. If we cut Hayden it just leaves us way to thin when it comes to proven CB's. If he can play the way he was playing last year, before he got hurt - after his rough start which was attributed to adjusting to the new scheme - he still might be overpaid but well worth keeping around.

agree on Hayden reason being had read analysis, sory dont have link , that way he is quaranteed mmoney would shave only about 1.5 million from cap, DIEm we should dump nut staff may think due to lockout our rookie OL wont be ready to play so just mnay decide to keep him, I saay v cut him & let Lindb.. play RT if needed with CJ till out Tookies get up to speed

Agreed, plus like Barry said, the cap savings wouldn't be much as opposed to what Indy would give up in terms of CB depth. Diem seems the logical choice IF any big salaries get cut...imvho.

just saw on espn we are 1.8 million over the cap,but that includes the 1 year tender to peyton.so if we sign him to a long term contract and cut diem and hayden we can sign a few free agents.

wait we're only 2M over the cap, I thought we were 15M over the cap. With that being said, we don't need to cut Hayden.

I agree with cutting Hayden - Mr. 56 Million - big waste of money. Also agree on cutting Diem - would like to see someone in his position who doesn't give us a minimum of one false start per game. :rolleyes2:

I like Francisco for two reasons: he's a good up-and-coming player who needs a little more time and we share the same last name! Maybe he's a cousin waaaay down the line. :yes:

Keep Session and release Rhodes (which makes me sad too) - who else do we need to release?

Diem is set to make about $5 mil I think, that's too much for him, he needs to be cut. Hayden's contract is ridiculous, it needs to be re-structured.

The cap in the NFL is a strange thing, I remember a few years ago, the Skins one of the teams with the least amount of cap space, but then they spent $150 mil on Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall. Not sure how it all worked out in terms of numbers and stuff...