Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Review and Grade

I have been meaning to post this for a week now, but I have been very busy, but here is my thoughts on our draft picks.

1: Bjoern Werner (DE-FSU)- initially I was kinda disappointed with this pick as we could have trade down, but after watching his tape, I later changed my mind as not only does he take away some of the pressure off Mathis when it comes to pass rushing, but he is also effective against the run, still a little raw in terms of gameplay but a good former Defensive co-ordinator like Chuck would make him a big name in years to come. Grade: A-

3: Hugh Thornton ( OG- Illinois) - after his game tape, I do feel he will be a good fit in our scheme as he can hold up well in pass protection but because of him, there are a lot of gaps for the RB to hit. A good pick for a position in need. Grade: B+

4: Khaled Holmes (C- USC)- although C can be argued as a position of need,I was  ( and still am) a bit sceptical about this pick. Although he could have done better, AQ Shipley played reasonably well last year and also when Holmes played vs Utah, he definitely struggled and that worries me if he ends up starting and playing against the likes of Haloti Ngata or Vince Wilfork. But you never know, he could wind up being a decent center or guard  in the NFL. Grade: C+

5: Montori Hughes  (NT- UT Martin)- This guy I can tell you now, if our D-line wasn't good before, it is now. He will not only be good in a blitzing situation ( where he will force double teams on him-allowing a free rusher), on the occasion he has a good chance of getting to the QB. I am willing to go and say he is a poor man's version of Haloti Ngata. Grade: B+

6: John Boyett ( S-Oregon)- I only saw one piece of tape on him and I was impressed. He is such a physical player in coverage , hard hitter, a decent tackler, really all the traits you want in a safety. He will be so useful immediately on ST and if one of our safeties goes down, I won't be panicking. Grade: A-

7: Kerwynn Williams ( HB- Utah State)- didn't really know much about him. But when I watched his game tape, I didn't finish watching it. I didn't finish because I know I was going to see the same thing, great breakaway speed ( which made me surprised about his 40 time at the combine) and absolute burst through the hole. I am convinced we have a replica of Darren Sproles as in my opinion he will be somewhat overpowering with him being able to do absolutely anything. Grade: A-

7: Justice Cunningham ( TE- South Carolina)- this guy is a great blocker. I'm genuinely surprised he wasn't taken a lot earlier ( ie day 2), this guy has so much potential and he will open up a lot on gaps in the run game. Grade: B+

Overall: B+. In this draft, our FO have just stolen so many high potential/Under the radar steals, it's ridiculous. Yes I may have complained about bringing in big named prospects, but after looking at our class, I can't comprehend how our FO finds these guys. I would've like a CB but really, with UDFAs like Sheldon Price, I very much find them being low risk/High reward guys anyway. 

while i rate the whole offseason as a B+ to A- i think the draft by itself is a B- to C+... This type of draft  will help us stay competitive but it's not something that puts us over the hump to win a SB. We left some talent on the board in a couple of rds, but time will tell. In short, I don't rate this draft as a touchdown, I see it as picking up a 1st down on a 3rd and 10.... In Grigs I trust.

The only pick I don't agree with your grade is Williams. That one is an incomplete in my book until we see him play against NFL talent. We really have no frame of reference.

Sproles played against major college teams. I still remember him having a decent bowl game against my Buckeyes. Williams had one major college opponent last season and they stuffed him when he tried to run.

For some reason he didn't return kicks for them, maybe they wanted him to concentrate more on O.

It would be great if he's our KR man. But didn't we all expect the same thing from Devon Moore?

The only pick I don't agree with your grade is Williams. That one is an incomplete in my book until we see him play against NFL talent. We really have no frame of reference.

Sproles played against major college teams. I still remember him having a decent bowl game against my Buckeyes. Williams had one major college opponent last season and they stuffed him when he tried to run.

For some reason he didn't return kicks for them, maybe they wanted him to concentrate more on O.

It would be great if he's our KR man. But didn't we all expect the same thing from Devon Moore?

Williams returned tons of kicks his first 3 years and was great. Total was 135 returns for over 25 yards per return. He had a very heavy work load for a small back in 2012 ...263 touches for 2209 yards. I'm assuming another 40-50 kick returns would have been a bit of an "over load."

Williams returned tons of kicks his first 3 years and was great. Total was 135 returns for over 25 yards per return. He had a very heavy work load for a small back in 2012 ...263 touches for 2209 yards. I'm assuming another 40-50 kick returns would have been a bit of an "over load."

Yeah, that what I assumed. Ideally he would be our returner and 3rd RB.

I like Carter but as long as DB and VB are healthy his role can be taken by Havili. That would allow us to carry an extra D player. If we're going to be rotating our front 7as much as I think we will, we'll need plenty of fresh players.

I too have been meaning to post this. Here are my thoughts...

1: Bjoern Werner (DE-FSU) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

3: Hugh Thornton ( OG- Illinois) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

4: Khaled Holmes (C- USC) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

5: Montori Hughes  (NT- UT Martin) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

6: John Boyett ( S-Oregon) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

7: Kerwynn Williams ( HB- Utah State) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

7: Justice Cunningham ( TE- South Carolina) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

Overall: A+. In this draft, our FO have just stolen so many high potential/Under the radar steals, it's ridiculous. Yes MANY DID complain about bringing in big named prospects, however I was not one of them. Still have no clue why some wanted a CB. Nevertheless with UDFAs like Sheldon Price, I hope their nonsensical rantings are over....................for now.

Yeah, that what I assumed. Ideally he would be our returner and 3rd RB.

I like Carter but as long as DB and VB are healthy his role can be taken by Havili. That would allow us to carry an extra D player. If we're going to be rotating our front 7as much as I think we will, we'll need plenty of fresh players.

1: Bjoern Werner (DE-FSU) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

3: Hugh Thornton ( OG- Illinois) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

4: Khaled Holmes (C- USC) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

5: Montori Hughes  (NT- UT Martin) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

6: John Boyett ( S-Oregon) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

7: Kerwynn Williams ( HB- Utah State) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

7: Justice Cunningham ( TE- South Carolina) - Grigson and Pagano understand our team needs and the ability of the coaching staff to coach him up and employ his skills. Grade: A+

Overall: A+. In this draft, our FO have just stolen so many high potential/Under the radar steals, it's ridiculous. Yes MANY DID complain about bringing in big named prospects, however I was not one of them. Still have no clue why some wanted a CB. Nevertheless with UDFAs like Sheldon Price, I hope their nonsensical rantings are over....................for now.

I think you have Thornton a little undervalued but the rest are right on. Would you mind grading Price and the other free agent CB ? It might be helpful to those that feel CB should have been addressed in the draft. Also not sure if you want to say we have" stolen " "steals."

Lol! Very incisive analysis.

Probably couldn't say that about the other 31 GMs and coaches? I agree with you about CBs, after the second round why does anyone think there are players available better than the guys we have on the roster now?

I think you have Thornton a little undervalued but the rest are right on. Would you mind grading Price and the other free agent CB ? It might be helpful to those that feel CB should have been addressed in the draft. Also not sure if you want to say we have" stolen " "steals."

Amen Brother!

Thank ya kindly.

Shoot...bro, we should've drafted CB with our first 3 selections. THAT was our biggest need.

Damn.....     I feel so bad for that poor, poor, poor horse....     beaten to a bloody pulp.....     so, so sad....

Richard Sherman was a fifth rounder and Brandon Browner was an UDFA by the Broncos in 05.    You never know where a good player will pop up.

Each player on a D is only as good as the other players around them.  

The Colt D front is much better...    and as a result the CB play will be also.

Can't fix everything all at once.

darn.....     I feel so bad for that poor, poor, poor horse....     beaten to a bloody pulp.....     so, so sad....

...and yet this horse...this silly, uninformed horse...this horse that has had its existience rebuked by the Colts GM...this horse continues to live....in all of its incompetent...prideful glory. ;)

The Colt D front is much better...    and as a result the CB play will be also.

Can't fix everything all at once.

I agree.  The same can be said about the offense when it comes to the line opening holes or protecting.

We've vastly improved the trenches, great start.

???   Bro you are flipping out over a postilion that has been given A  LOT of attention.

Toler, Landry,    ...   Indy traded a second rounder LAST SEASON for DAVIS.  

Attention has been paid to the position.

If a team is "TOUGH" up front "everything" else falls in place.........

...and yet this horse...this silly, uninformed horse...this horse that has had its existience rebuked by the Colts GM...this horse continues to live....in all of its incompetent...prideful glory. ;)

First of all, great question and nice layout by example.

1: Bjoern Werner (DE-FSU)- I was extrememly suprised to see him fall that far. I had him in the top 15 in all the mocks I conjured up. I like to do mocks with all my mags and sheets...changing the top 3 or so each time and see what we end up with. Werner always went to someone before us. He moves like Jason Taylor. Question is, if he is in on early downs, will he stand up to having the ball run right at him. I think he will, as long as the D-line is as improved as I think it is going to be. Grade: B+

3: Hugh Thornton ( OG- Illinois) - A big man, with a nicely controlled, yet vicious attitude that has been needed from the interior line. The fact that he has experience at the tackle spot justs adds to this great selection. My favorite pick of the draft . Grade: A+

4: Khaled Holmes (C- USC)- I have watched more film on him than any other selection post draft. Wow. This kid is technically sound, and can get to the second level better than any other lineman I saw. Pairing this with Hugh makes this draft the best O-line upgrade since Meadows/Glenn. Our future starting center. Grade A+

5: Montori Hughes  (NT- UT Martin)- This guy seems to have geat foot movement for a large D-lineman. He will be tested to prove he can withstand the players he is going to face at this level, but I see a possible steal here. I am hoping he is a poor man's version of Richard Seymour. Grade: B+

6: John Boyett ( S-Oregon)- I see him as similar to Landry as an assasin type of player. Both will be boom or busts when it comes to health. Both can play lights out. Grade: B-

7: Kerwynn Williams ( HB- Utah State)- Really fast/quick player who has game breaking possibities. As usual with players of this stature, it's all about health. His skills are obvious, but will he hold up to being tackled by the best competition he has ever faced.....every Sunday.  Will start on ST and gets his spots on 3rd and less than 4 in the middle of the field. Grade: B

7: Justice Cunningham ( TE- South Carolina)- Probably on of the most traditional TE drafted by the Colts since they have been in Indy. Grade: B+

Overall: A- The most power style draft I have seen from this franchise in decades. Folks, we are bigger and stronger just getting off the bus. Can't wait to see how it all meshes on the field.

???   Bro you are flipping out over a postilion that has been given A  LOT of attention. Toler, Landry,    ...   Indy traded a second rounder LAST SEASON for DAVIS.  Attention has been paid to the position.

If a team is "TOUGH" up front "everything" else falls in place.........

No, that is NOT enough!

We MUST draft at least two more CBs next year. One to replace Butler and the other for Vaughn. I wish we'd have grabbed D'supre Studb from Cornerback State as an UDFA. I know it is a smaller school and I haven't seen much tape on him but I heard from my cousin's friend who is a grounds keeper at the publically funded municiple stadium that Cornerback State plays at...that he is a beast. He sent me a video he shot from his iPhone of him and I was blown away! I mean cmon man, he as to be better than Vaughn! And...what do we REALLY know about Toler anyway...so he played for a very good defense...big whoop!

And you're wrong. Great CBs create pass rush. Cmon that is basic chat forum commonsense man!

Cornerback: The Cornerstone (no pun intended) To The 3/4 Defense.