Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson says he likes this years depth at CB, S, Oline and D line

wabbwubb

I heard him say he likes these positions for this years draft..... Might be hinting at what he is looking at.

The Draft is all about false leads, misdirection, & deception...It's all magic dust, smoke, & mirrors. Say 1 thing to the media & then do the exact opposite. The right hand doesn't wanna know what the left hand is really doing...

What he thinks is deep really just seems to match what most pundits are saying. I don't think it's really "hinting" at anything, especially since we're going to probably be taking some of these positions either way. I'd be surprised if we didn't take a safety, CB, or DE. I just feel they are 3 positions that will almost certainly get addressed due to the lack or questionable depth we have there. CB has questionable depth, Davis and Toler seem like a nice pair, and Butler and Vaughn (yes I said Vaughn), are capable as backups and No.3, but do we trust these guys as a no.2 if Davis or Toler go down? Bethea is in his contract year, and quite frankly IMO he's expendable due to financial reasons. I think we lack depth at the safety position now already so getting depth now to replace later seems a given to happen. DE needs a starer. Redding can be great but can't seem to stay healthy Jean-francois seems promising, but he may just be suitable at best, so combine those 2 things and I think a DE in the 1st, 2nd (trade back), or 3rd seems pretty likely.

Here are some other opinions prior to the draft:

I hope we don't draft a guard unless great value is there. I'm a little optimistic about a McGlynn, Reitz, Lickenbach, Ijalana, Anderson battle at RG, and there should still be some high upside guards in the later rounds. Honestly, I feel like we could just as likely go for an OT at some point in the draft as OG. Really, who's the comfortable choice right now if either Castonzo or Cherilus go down? Linkenbach? Sowell? Ijalana maybe if he's healthy. So honestly unless Barret Jones falls to us in the late 3rd (or some similar freak occurrence) , I hope we don't take a guard until the later rounds if at all.

OLB may not have the depth as some of the positions listed above, but I'm not alone in thinking a pass rusher is pretty much inevitable at some point.

WR and RB feel like the 2 big mysteries for this draft. Wr seems very likely since Wayne on his way out soon (maybe after this season if he's feels it's time) a replacement No.1 is needed. This draft has a lot of good WR prospect a few of whom will almost certainly be there at 24. The mystery is, how does Grigs and the front office feel about these guys and do they even feel WR is a pressing and issue as I and some others do? RB is a positions where we have some guys I like. Ballard may be a true No.1 And Brown can complement him well. And Carter continues to prove he can be a short yardage option. However, I get the feeling based on this continued pushing of the philosophy of being able to run the ball and stop the run that our search for a No.1 running back may not be have stopped at Vick Ballard. It's not impossible Lacy could fall to us, and our scouts and coaches seem to have taken interest in some mid-round prospects as well. Le'Veon Bell, Stepfan Taylor, and Andre Ellington all look good too. I'm not saying it's a definitely going to happen, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think we might shock some people by taking a RB in the 1st, 2nd (trade back), or 3rd.

What he thinks is deep really just seems to match what most pundits are saying. I don't think it's really "hinting" at anything, especially since we're going to probably be taking some of these positions either way. I'd be surprised if we didn't take a safety, CB, or DE. I just feel they are 3 positions that will almost certainly get addressed due to the lack or questionable depth we have there. CB has questionable depth, Davis and Toler seem like a nice pair, and Butler and Vaughn (yes I said Vaughn), are capable as backups and No.3, but do we trust these guys as a no.2 if Davis or Toler go down? Bethea is in his contract year, and quite frankly IMO he's expendable due to financial reasons. I think we lack depth at the safety position now already so getting depth now to replace later seems a given to happen. DE needs a starer. Redding can be great but can't seem to stay healthy Jean-francois seems promising, but he may just be suitable at best, so combine those 2 things and I think a DE in the 1st, 2nd (trade back), or 3rd seems pretty likely.

Here are some other opinions prior to the draft:

I hope we don't draft a guard unless great value is there. I'm a little optimistic about a McGlynn, Reitz, Lickenbach, Ijalana, Anderson battle at RG, and there should still be some high upside guards in the later rounds. Honestly, I feel like we could just as likely go for an OT at some point in the draft as OG. Really, who's the comfortable choice right now if either Castonzo or Cherilus go down? Linkenbach? Sowell? Ijalana maybe if he's healthy. So honestly unless Barret Jones falls to us in the late 3rd (or some similar freak occurrence) , I hope we don't take a guard until the later rounds if at all.

OLB may not have the depth as some of the positions listed above, but I'm not alone in thinking a pass rusher is pretty much inevitable at some point.

WR and RB feel like the 2 big mysteries for this draft. Wr seems very likely since Wayne on his way out soon (maybe after this season if he's feels it's time) a replacement No.1 is needed. This draft has a lot of good WR prospect a few of whom will almost certainly be there at 24. The mystery is, how does Grigs and the front office feel about these guys and do they even feel WR is a pressing and issue as I and some others do? RB is a positions where we have some guys I like. Ballard may be a true No.1 And Brown can complement him well. And Carter continues to prove he can be a short yardage option. However, I get the feeling based on this continued pushing of the philosophy of being able to run the ball and stop the run that our search for a No.1 running back may not be have stopped at Vick Ballard. It's not impossible Lacy could fall to us, and our scouts and coaches seem to have taken interest in some mid-round prospects as well. Le'Veon Bell, Stepfan Taylor, and Andre Ellington all look good too. I'm not saying it's a definitely going to happen, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think we might shock some people by taking a RB in the 1st, 2nd (trade back), or 3rd.

Clearly, you spend considerable time drafting your answer Fktc2. A well written response too. But, I highly doubt that Grigs is taking a WR at all. We just got DHB from Oakland. A RB is fair game though since Donald Brown won't be in INDY much longer. He's always sidelined with an injury & his speed, or lack thereof, has never really impressed me actually. But, I will readily admit that I'm no draft wizard or fortune teller either.

The Draft is all about false leads, misdirection, & deception...It's all magic dust, smoke, & mirrors. Say 1 thing to the media & then do the exact opposite. The right hand doesn't wanna know what the left hand is really doing...

Actually SW1, Grigson has been pretty straight forward with us. I gotta give it to him. If he says something, he usually goes through with it and that's why I like him. I think we'll be making some moves come draft day

Actually SW1, Grigson has been pretty straight forward with us. I gotta give it to him. If he says something, he usually goes through with it and that's why I like him. I think we'll be making some moves come draft day

That and when he does something questionable he doesn't go all high and mighty and try to talk down and belittle you. He's just another down to earth guy like the rest of our team and coach. Love that about this new era if colts ball.

I believe the colts traded their 2nd round pick for Vontae Davis. No trading back in the 2nd if that is the case.

??? I don't believe there are any restrictions keeping the Colts from trading back into the 2nd. They just no longer have pick #56.

I heard him say he likes these positions for this years draft..... Might be hinting at what he is looking at.

or it could be a smoke screen on what he is wanting to get. we have no idea what he will go after or who he will draft in 5 days. could end up pulling a shocker and drafting Lacey to give us that extra RB, or go defense and draft Hayden CB out of louisville in the first round. he is moving up on alot of teams draft board. or could pull something bigger and trade down to get a 2nd round pick lol. 

He did so well in FA that he doesn't require reaching for anything. I don't doubt he would trade up for some who's slipped but may be taken before us, but for the most part it will be BPA for this draft.

im not buying the Toler and Walden signings. i would not be surprised if they draft someone like Ogletree (if he falls), Okafor, 

Clearly, you spend considerable time drafting your answer Fktc2. A well written response too. But, I highly doubt that Grigs is taking a WR at all. We just got DHB from Oakland. A RB is fair game though since Donald Brown won't be in INDY much longer. He's always sidelined with an injury & his speed, or lack thereof, has never really impressed me actually. But, I will readily admit that I'm no draft wizard or fortune teller either.

We only signed DHB to 1 year. I'm sure we'll be considering him for more than that, but we've hosted private workouts for several WRs and a planning for Reggie's replacement should not be gambling on hoping DHB or Hilton is that guy. Not sure we'll take a WR in the 1st, but I think we'll pick one up if the right one turns up.

im not buying the Toler and Walden signings. i would not be surprised if they draft someone like Ogletree (if he falls), Okafor,

Toler > Vaughn

That's all that matters. Toler will be the #2 CB unless someone is taken in the draft who's better than him

I'm not doubting his skills as a scout or top notch evaluator at all. I just wish that Grigs would start writing some form of a GM INDY Corner & drop the double speak nonsense. If you don't wanna answer a question by fans or the media just say "I appreciate your question, but I don't feel comfortable disclosing private information at this time."

A vague statement about a possible secondary selection or in the trenches is completely useless to me. If Grigs is forthcoming than tell me what does clandestine look like? I like your optimism TK85, but I need more specifidity & direction than "Jack Ryan" AKA Ryan Grigson provides. Sorry. I don't fall for the Grigs love fest around here. 

I liked what I saw from Butler late in the season, I think as it stands right now, Butler vs. Toler will be a good training camp battle to see who gets to start opposite David.  I am very comfortable with either of them as a 3, but without a very strong pass-rush I am hesistant to trust them as #2.

Of course, we want to improve everywhere and right now I think the only areas where we can say 'no upgrade needed' are P, K, TE, FB and QB.  Luck is a stud, and Hasselback is as good a back-up QB as we'll find.  I fully expect Allen and Fleener to be considered the best TE combo in football in the next year or 2 (Gronk and Hernadez might give them a run for their money this year).  I also like Wesley Saunders quite a bit.  The FB we got from Philly seems good, and I think with Carter on the roster we have the answer for a short-down yardage guy if he got hurt and with Saunders and Allen, I think we have our blocking/receiving responsibilities covered if he got hurt.

We are solid at WR#1, but I think could use some depth and insurance here -- I like our line-up with Wayne and DHB outside and Hilton in the slot -- and I think Brazzill can also contribute (not sold on Whalen just yet, but hopefully he gets healthy and stays healthy throughout camp to promote healthy competition).  However, an injury to any of the 1st 3 mentioned makes me worry a lot about our WR corp.  Plus, DHB is only signed for 1 year now and Wayne is getting up there in age -- I think we'll need another possession type WR like Wayne to replace him in this offense -- I would be happy to see us get someone soon to get some tutelage under Reggie.

I think we are solid at starting offensive tackle -- but worry about the depth here, too.  Costanzo will continue to improve and Godsler is an above average RT -- if either goes down, I would not feel very comfortable with what we have now to protect the future of this franchise (Luck).

We are solid at CB #1, Vontae is a premier talent in the NFL at that position.  Like I said earlier, I like Toler and Butler, but if we don't improve our pass-rush, I feel more comfortable with them being our nickel and dime guys.  I am fine with Vaughn as a dime/prevent defense guy, and I actually like Vaughn as a return-man.

We are solid at starting safety -- Landry and Bethea could both make the pro-bowl this year.  I like Lefeged, but I prefer him as a special teamer and in certain defensive packages -- I'd feel a lot better if we got another safety on this roster that could step in if either of the top 2 went down and not be a huge liability on defense.  Plus, like mentioned earlier in this thread, Bethea is in a contract year and he may be too expensive to bring back next year.

I think we are solid at C -- I know a lot of people bash Satele, but I don't think he is that bad, if healthy.  And I think Shipley will give him a challenge for that job -- either one of them would be considered a very solid back-up.  As the roster stands today, I think Ijalana has potential to be our best OL next year -- but I also don't count on him being healthy -- assuming he is't healthy, I'd love to see AQ compete for the RG spot.  I actually think AQ could compete with Thomas for the other guard spot if Ijalana is fully healthy.  Anyway, getting a guy like Barrett Jones or the kid from Wisconsin who can play guard or center, would be helpful.

I think we're solid at LB, assuming Angerer makes a recovery.  However, we could use more depth, and I am not fully sold on Walden yet, I wouldn't mind seeing someone come in to compete for that spot  (I think that he and Hughes can potentially make a good rotation, and kind of think this is a make-or-break year for Hughes).  If Angerer isn't healthy, I like Freeman as a starter and would be comfortable seeing Connor or Harvey as a starter next to him -- but for sure think that we could use a new body to come in and compete there.  It sounds like the FO is high on Sidbury as a situational pass rusher, but I am iffy about him, too.

I also think we're solid on the DL, and I think we have a lot of depth here.  Right now, I see 8-10 guys that are very capable NFL players and with a rotational system, will make an impact on this team (Redding, Nevis, Jean-Francois, Maola, Franklin, Tevesau, Mathews, Chapman and McKinney if healthy -- and I am not too high on Guy or Heard, but they are OK).  While this is a very strong/deep group, there are no true studs -- I think Chapman, if healthy will be a very good run stuffer -- but I don't really see anyone jumping out on me that is going to be a huge pass-rush threat.  As I said earlier, I think if we add a pass-rush threat, our secondary is strong -- but if we don't get a pass rush guy, I think we might have a problem with Butler or Toler out on an island.

I think we're solid at RB -- Ballard is a capable starter and I think Brown is also a capable starter  with a better line.  I think the 2 of them compliment eachother well, and I think Carter is a strong short-yardage guy.  We have seen Brown and Carter struggle with injuries and Ballard has yet to start a full NFL season (his playing time didn't really start until around week 4).  I think there are a few guys (Lacy, Ball, and some others) that could come in and challenge that starting position and improve our team.  There are a lot more guys that I think could come in and make us feel more comfortable with depth.  I like a rotation of Brown and Ballard a lot, with Carter as the short-yardage guy -- however, I am not high on having too rely too much on Carter.  If Ballard were to go down, do any of us actually trust that Brown will be able to carry a full-load and not suffer an injury?  With an improved line, I think it's possible, but I don't count on it.

Agreed 1,000,000,000%

I do agree with your earlier post about the ebb-n-flow of pre-draft deceit. However, I don't think his mentioning would provide us with any sort of trickery in this respect. 

I've been pegging a DB as our first pick all along, as I see this being a position of great need. As well, Grigs is right. The DB class is deep and we should have no issue grabbing a fine DB @24. 

I'm not doubting his skills as a scout or top notch evaluator at all. I just wish that Grigs would start writing some form of a GM INDY Corner & drop the double speak nonsense. If you don't wanna answer a question by fans or the media just say "I appreciate your question, but I don't feel comfortable disclosing private information at this time."

A vague statement about a possible secondary selection or in the trenches is completely useless to me. If Grigs is forthcoming than tell me what does clandestine look like? I like your optimism TK85, but I need more specifidity & direction than "Jack Ryan" AKA Ryan Grigson provides. Sorry. I don't fall for the Grigs love fest around here.

Well we don't wanna be too secretive about things. Then the commish will make a rule saying all GM's must report their every move haha

Agreed 1,000,000,000%

I do agree with your earlier post about the ebb-n-flow of pre-draft deceit. However, I don't think his mentioning would provide us with any sort of trickery in this respect.

I've been pegging a DB as our first pick all along, as I see this being a position of great need. As well, Grigs is right. The DB class is deep and we should have no issue grabbing a fine DB @24.

Xavier Rhodes wears the #25 right? (Too lazy to look it up haha)

If he does, it all makes sense. We let go of Powers cause Xavier was coming to town!

Edit: I looked it up. Rhodes wears 27. Ahh, joke isn't funny now :(

A few things to keep in mind;

1.Just because we perceive a certain pick as a reach or that analysts see a pick as a reach that does not mean Grigson does ( I look for this to have to be repeated come draft day......for my own benefit at the very least)  O.o  :funny:

2.What Grigs discloses to the public regarding any certain draft picks or position can NOT be taken to heart BECAUSE who would in there right mind show there hand to there opposition prior to the draft when we have 23 other teams choosing before us

3.Keep in mind not only did we sign players at certain positions but we signed 1-2 for starter money (RJF, Landry)

Butler:

11 games played / 31 combined tackles / 1 FF / 1 FR / 4 INT's / 2 TD's

Toler:

11 games played / 27 combined tackles / 0 FF/ 0 FR / 2 INT's / 1 TD

i would say they are about the same when it comes to stats.

Yeah but two different playing styles. You'll see this year

Butler:

11 games played / 31 combined tackles / 1 FF / 1 FR / 4 INT's / 2 TD's

Toler:

11 games played / 27 combined tackles / 0 FF/ 0 FR / 2 INT's / 1 TD

i would say they are about the same when it comes to stats.

Thanks for sharing. A lot of people are high on Toler, but I've not really seen anything other than some highlights.

Thanks for sharing. A lot of people are high on Toler, but I've not really seen anything other than some highlights.

the only " big " highlight of his, is the 102 yard INT return. other then that im not really impressed with him. but like i have said in other posts, if he comes in and he does good, then great....but if he comes in and stinks up the place and plays no better then powers or butler, well then we just wasted starter money on a guy who is no better then a back up at best.