Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Colts keep the 24th

Monster

I agree. I don't see Warford as a reach at all at 24. I think some people think he's a reach there simply because that's what they have heard all offseason and therefore it makes it true in their heads. Warford is the perfect fit for offensive line scheme and would be the day 1 starter at RG. I'm also not real impressed with anybody else that may be available at 24 on defense or offense. So why not get the guy thats fully capable of filling the biggest hole on the team instead of picking some other player that fans may feel is slightly higher graded at a position where we already have depth at? That don't seem like the best idea IMO.

Not everyone regurgitates what analysts say though and what I see is a guy with immense size but average hand punch who can get to the 2nd level fairly easily but when he gets there he has trouble adjusting laterally to movement, He also does not stay engaged consistently, To me........He is gonna hold up real well vs big D Linemen such as John Jenkins for example but vs Shariff Floyd type d linemen (smaller d linemen obviously) especially those that use double moves he is gonna have trouble. If Im Grigson Im pretty sure I can trade down into the 2nd and get him if better players are not available in the 1st which Im sure there will be

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone regurgitates what analysts say though and what I see is a guy with immense size but average hand punch who can get to the 2nd level fairly easily but when he gets there he has trouble adjusting laterally to movement, He also does not stay engaged consistently, To me........He is gonna hold up real well vs big D Linemen such as John Jenkins for example but vs Shariff Floyd type d linemen (smaller d linemen obviously) especially those that use double moves he is gonna have trouble. If Im Grigson Im pretty sure I can trade down into the 2nd and get him if better players are not available in the 1st which Im sure there will be

I think Warford goes in the 1st rd.. JMO but I don't see him lasting to the 2nd. You act as if O-lineman should never be beat or should be dominant on every snap. I highly doubt you've watched every game Warford has ever played and seen all his snaps. Every O-lineman gets beat occasionally or don't make the right blocks. As long as we get a guy that wins the majority of the battles, then I'm completely happy and I'm positive that Warford can do that. 

My point is, that at 24, IMO there isn't anybody going to be available that is worth picking at a position that isn't nearly as big of a need as guard. For example, if there's a slightly higher graded DE sitting there but since we are already pretty much set at the position, IMO I would go with the bigger need than a player that is just slightly higher on my board but may not see a ton of action in his 1st yr..Point being, there isn't a huge talent gap between players that would make you say, "man, I have to get this guy right now".

I know many are completely hung up on the rush LBer, but I don't think the team is nearly as concerned as some of the fans. I know people say that if J. Jones fell to 24, there is no way they would pass on him, but I wouldn't be so sure. I see him as nothing more than a situational pass rusher in our scheme and that is my opinion. I know some do not agree and thats fine.

I think Warford goes in the 1st rd.. JMO but I don't see him lasting to the 2nd. You act as if O-lineman should never be beat or should be dominant on every snap. I highly doubt you've watched every game Warford has ever played and seen all his snaps. Every O-lineman gets beat occasionally or don't make the right blocks. As long as we get a guy that wins the majority of the battles, then I'm completely happy and I'm positive that Warford can do that. 

My point is, that at 24, IMO there isn't anybody going to be available that is worth picking at a position that isn't nearly as big of a need as guard. For example, if there's a slightly higher graded DE sitting there but since we are already pretty much set at the position, IMO I would go with the bigger need than a player that is just slightly higher on my board but may not see a ton of action in his 1st yr..Point being, there isn't a huge talent gap between players that would make you say, "man, I have to get this guy right now".

I know many are completely hung up on the rush LBer, but I don't think the team is nearly as concerned as some of the fans. I know people say that if J. Jones fell to 24, there is no way they would pass on him, but I wouldn't be so sure. I see him as nothing more than a situational pass rusher in our scheme and that is my opinion. I know some do not agree and thats fine.

No of course O Linemen will get beat on occasion but here is the thing, How do they get beat? physical limitation? did they just guess wrong and get schooled? 1 of those can be taught the other cant just why I think enough teams may pass on him so that he falls to the top of the 2nd, besides , if he does we can trade down and get another pick if no other player is there we want in the 1st, For me. Brian Winters, Travis Frederick or Barrett Jones would all be better value in the 3rd then Warford in the 1st, Now top of the 2nd? I dont think I'd hesitate unless Brandon Jenkins is there

I agree. I don't see Warford as a reach at all at 24. I think some people think he's a reach there simply because that's what they have heard all offseason and therefore it makes it true in their heads. Warford is the perfect fit for offensive line scheme and would be the day 1 starter at RG. I'm also not real impressed with anybody else that may be available at 24 on defense or offense. So why not get the guy thats fully capable of filling the biggest hole on the team instead of picking some other player that fans may feel is slightly higher graded at a position where we already have depth at? That don't seem like the best idea IMO.

i like your thinking, and have to agree unless someone drops down low enough to fill one of are other needs, but we wont know that til the day the draft starts

No of course O Linemen will get beat on occasion but here is the thing, How do they get beat? physical limitation? did they just guess wrong and get schooled? 1 of those can be taught the other cant just why I think enough teams may pass on him so that he falls to the top of the 2nd, besides , if he does we can trade down and get another pick if no other player is there we want in the 1st, For me. Brian Winters, Travis Frederick or Barrett Jones would all be better value in the 3rd then Warford in the 1st, Now top of the 2nd? I dont think I'd hesitate unless Brandon Jenkins is there

We'll just have to wait and see, but IMO if they really want a guard and Warford is sitting there, there is a good chance they grab him. trading down to get a player is a crap shoot to say the least. As soon as you trade down, another team could trade up and grab the guy you want. Teams generally have a good idea of who each team is going to pick and if another team covets the same guy, they could easily jump in front of you and take him. 

We'll just have to wait and see, but IMO if they really want a guard and Warford is sitting there, there is a good chance they grab him. trading down to get a player is a crap shoot to say the least. As soon as you trade down, another team could trade up and grab the guy you want. Teams generally have a good idea of who each team is going to pick and if another team covets the same guy, they could easily jump in front of you and take him. 

Agreed, To me Warford is a fringe first round pick, he can just as easily get picked late in the 1st as he can in the top of the 2nd but for me personally he is a 2nd round pick just my preference from what I see of him, as for trading down is a crap shoot, Of course it is, But every single pick every year is a crap shoot especially this years draft, I also agree about teams wanting to steal a player that another team covets but doing that also may come with a price, what if said player does not even fit that teams scheme? you think a team will waste a draft pick just spite one of there rivals? I know its had to have happened before and likely does often but to me thats risky especially when your talking about O Linemen (scheme fit wise) 

Pretty classic, I must say...

Thought this was funny, got curious about the Johny U. A clown thing, just thought you might expound upon that...

On the field, Johnny U was awesome. But after meeting him and talking with him for 15 min., it was clear he was a broken, bitter man. I expected class from him, but it was anything but classy......... All he did was bad mouth the modern players.

Yeah, I see your point on the value of Winters or Jones (not a Frederick fan, though).  However, to my point of view, these two players accomplish someing different than Cooper, Warmack, Fluker, or Warford would.  Those guys are instant starters who would vastly upgrade the run-blocking over presumed current starter Reitz.  Jones or Winters are probably back-ups to Reitz who could eventually develop into upgrades.  They would improve depth, which is greatly needed.  However, I don't think that goes far enough to upgrading the OL to championship quality.  Plus, I'm pretty certain Jones will be gone when we pick, and Winters might be.  Alvin Bailey might be a good depth option too.  Since I consider further improvement on the OL the #1 need by far going into the draft, I like the Warford option better.

Maybe we could have Cordarelle Patterson fall to us at #24.

From Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8327/cordarrelle-patterson

''A league source tells The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein that Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson could fall out of the first round.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah is hearing the same thing. At 6-foot-2, 216 pounds with 4.42 wheels, Patterson is a freak athlete, but a raw route runner. He's also been nicked for his tendency to "body catch," though he didn't struggle with drops in college. Patterson was reportedly "very unimpressive" in his Combine interviews. Patterson has legitimate question marks, but he could end up one of the steals of the draft if he falls to day two. Apr 10 - 2:16 PM''

Hmmmmmmm....sounds like a project.

From Rotoworld:

''A league source tells The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein that Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson could fall out of the first round.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah is hearing the same thing. At 6-foot-2, 216 pounds with 4.42 wheels, Patterson is a freak athlete, but a raw route runner. He's also been nicked for his tendency to "body catch," though he didn't struggle with drops in college. Patterson was reportedly "very unimpressive" in his Combine interviews. Patterson has legitimate question marks, but he could end up one of the steals of the draft if he falls to day two. Apr 10 - 2:16 PM''

Sounds like a team in the late first round wants a shot at Patterson... it is smokescreen season. Or maybe it's legit?

Magic 8 Ball says "Reply hazy, try again"

Yeah, I see your point on the value of Winters or Jones (not a Frederick fan, though).  However, to my point of view, these two players accomplish someing different than Cooper, Warmack, Fluker, or Warford would.  Those guys are instant starters who would vastly upgrade the run-blocking over presumed current starter Reitz.  Jones or Winters are probably back-ups to Reitz who could eventually develop into upgrades.  They would improve depth, which is greatly needed.  However, I don't think that goes far enough to upgrading the OL to championship quality.  Plus, I'm pretty certain Jones will be gone when we pick, and Winters might be.  Alvin Bailey might be a good depth option too.  Since I consider further improvement on the OL the #1 need by far going into the draft, I like the Warford option better.

Personally since many people are so afraid of clowns I think standing a clown at LG would work just as good if not better than Reitz starting there. Disagree about Frederic, he shows the ability to drive his man back and pancake him, quick to get to the 2nd level, my problem is he lunges at time and overextends, he uses his hands well. a bit slow at readjusting at times though in my opinion, I think a good option in the 3rd

From Rotoworld:

Sounds like DHB's clone. Same height, weight, and bad hands. DHB is just a little quicker.