Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is already elite! Put any of the so called elite QB's on the Colts behind that horrendous O-Line, and ask yourself could they go 11-5?

jshipp23

He may release in 2.8 but that doesn't mean he wouldn't still get rocked, and Luck had less than 2.8 seconds a lot of times..Manning would be starting his new job on CBS halftime show this year if he played for us last season.

Manning took the Colts to the playoffs in 2010 with Blaire White as a starting WR in the last few games and they were plucking guys like Quinn Ojinaka off the street to start on the OL.  I think if anything we would have had the same or better record if he were still here with everything else being equal.  

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it that the mighty elite Luck produced just 9 points vs the Ravens' playoff D?

Let us not put the cart before the horse, let us let it play out. I can understand we are all excited but don't crown him yet, would be my cautious two cents. :)

The future is bright, let it shine first.

he throws it.. someone have to catch it.. that's why i believe we need to draft WR with #24..

Manning took the Colts to the playoffs in 2010 with Blaire White as a starting WR in the last few games and they were plucking guys like Quinn Ojinaka off the street to start on the OL.  I think if anything we would have had the same or better record if he were still here with everything else being equal.  

If he didn't get hit??? The Manning of 2010 was not the same as the post 2 neck surgery Peyton, and Jeff Saturday was still on that line. Don't underestimate how important he was.

I wasnt trying to single you out but since you think I dont have any decency about me.

I have no Problem with you being a Texans fan, What I have a problem with is you just dont seem to grasp how many times you have started a huge blow up because you cant handle your team being dished even when they do deserve it.

You actually think your team owns the AFC south because you won the division two years in a row and one of those years we lost Manning to injury still didnt sweep us and the second was a rebuilding year still almost didnt win it...Wow you are going to be so heart broken when the Colts start clicking those two years of glory for the texans will be a thing of the past....

At least have the decency to quote me if you're going to talk about me. Judging by your post count, I think I've been here way longer than you have. I also have friends here who, surprise, act humanely and I crack jokes with. The troll that started this thread did so to bait, it was so obvious that it's insane. But whatever. Think what you will. I'll continue enjoying my spot as the resident Texan fan.

If he didn't get hit??? The Manning of 2010 was not the same as the post 2 neck surgery Peyton, and Jeff Saturday was still on that line. Don't underestimate how important he was.

yes the undersized center somehow made that line great.

see you all on draft day. theres nothing more to see here.

Perhaps because it's in the forum terms of services that this is a forum where all NFL fans, including those of teams not named the Colts, can get together to discuss the NFL and Colts football.  Why is it difficult for fans of opposing teams to have civil, friendly discussion?  Why does everything turn into a measuring contest?

I get all that but most of the time people can dish it out but not take it.

That is all I am getting at people take this forum way to seriously and should take a chill pill instead.

Alot of threads get derailed just like this one because someone cant take a little crack I would I hate to work with some of these people  :facepalm: .....

I wasnt trying to single you out but since you think I dont have any decency about me.

I have no Problem with you being a Texans fan, What I have a problem with is you just dont seem to grasp how many times you have started a huge blow up because you cant handle your team being dished even when they do deserve it.

You actually think your team owns the AFC south because you won the division two years in a row and one of those years we lost Manning to injury still didnt sweep us and the second was a rebuilding year still almost didnt win it...Wow you are going to be so heart broken when the Colts start clicking those two years of glory for the texans will be a thing of the past....

At least have the decency to quote me if you're going to talk about me. Judging by your post count, I think I've been here way longer than you have. I also have friends here who, surprise, act humanely and I crack jokes with. The troll that started this thread did so to bait, it was so obvious that it's insane. But whatever. Think what you will. I'll continue enjoying my spot as the resident Texan fan.

No, I've swallowed my pride numerous times, namely after the Patriots playoff game. But whatever you say brochacho.

This year you will see....100% no doubt he will be Top 5 if not the best. Aaron Rodgers and Kaepernick are the only ones more dangerous at this time IMO.

Then he isn't already if your talking about next season. No doubt in my mind that he will be after this upcoming season. But he isn't elite already

Then he isn't already if your talking about next season. No doubt in my mind that he will be after this upcoming season. But he isn't elite already

He will be elite week 1 and he was close last year...The only weakness that needed corrected is holding the ball too long and this new offense will alleviate that...We didn't have the line for the long vertical offense we tried to run last year. This offense will resemble the Patriots, a lot of short, quick dink and dunk passes, and the line will be better so we can go play action and still do some vertical throws as well. The accuracy and turnover issues were a product of the line and trying to do too much.

Elite is the best of the best, and is very exclusive. Luck has a looooooooooooooong way to go before he's considered elite. What Luck is right now is pretty good, maybe even very good. Not elite.

Group 1: Brady, Brees, P. Manning, Rodgers (in whatever order you want); they alone are "elite"

Group 2: Roethlisberger, E. Manning, Ryan, Flacco

Group 3: Luck, Wilson, Griffin, Kaepernick

Group 4: Schaub, Rivers, Cutler, Romo, Vick, Stafford

Group 5: Bradford, Newton, Freeman

Group 6+: Everyone else

Disclaimer: Some would flip Groups 3 and 4, but I'd rather have Group 3 moving forward than Group 4, and the difference in experience isn't enough to prevent the guys in Group 3 from having success. No matter.

Anyways, the point is that Luck isn't in Group 1, and isn't close at this point in time. He's not elite.

Tennessee education vs Stanford education?? Luck graduated early as well...John Gruden and Bruce arians who also coached Manning his rookie year both have been quoted as saying Luck is further along mentally than any QB they have ever been around or watched...Ill trust Gruden and Arians ...Of course manning is more advanced at the moment but Luck will equal or surpass what Manning has done just IMO..How is it far-fetched to say Luck is as smart as Manning?? Manning has more experience which can't be duplicated but he isn't smarter he has just seen more at the moment...

So why isn't Ryan Fitzpatrick MVP?

Ability and potential are two very different things. Luck has all the potential in the world, and a lot of ability for a young QB. There are only 3 elite QB's in the NFL in my eyes and that is a very very hard pack to break into.

Ability and potential are two very different things. Luck has all the potential in the world, and a lot of ability for a young QB. There are only 3 elite QB's in the NFL in my eyes and that is a very very hard pack to break into.

Post of the day. :D

Because Fitzpatrick doesn't have the physical tools much like Chad Pennington. He got as far as he did because of his mental aptitude.

Commenting on Luck's smarts for the game...

Last season I remember someone in sports media mentioning that Luck would never be the "student" of the game the same way Peyton was/is (I think that may have been said because Luck has some interests "outside" of football, but in no-way was a stab at his work ethic)...

anyways, Not really sure that is a bad thing, sometimes I think Peyton was/is TOO cerebral in his approach to the game...

I will always take Brains over Brawn (for lack of better cliche) for my QB, but Luck seems to have the best of both... 

Maybe its that photogenic memory he is said to possess, but I think Luck will be able to play "as smart" as Peyton, without "over-thinking" the game....

Luck has an aesthetically pleasing memory?

Because Fitzpatrick doesn't have the physical tools much like Chad Pennington. He got as far as he did because of his mental aptitude.

No, you are confusing intelligence with Football IQ. Ability to react under pressure , to make instinctual reactions and having infinite football experience have little to do with actual intellect in the traditional sense of the word. There are certain advantages to being highly intelligent but it is not a prerequisite for NFL success as history has shown us countless times.

Luck has an aesthetically pleasing memory?

Manning is much more demonstrative so people think he somehow studies more or knows more...Luck will study just as much as Manning, Manning would overthink sometimes which is why he got rattled in clutch games..I think Lucks mentality is more like Brady's which is why he will be clutch like Brady and already showed plenty of flashes this year...Sometimes all the audibles and making the o-linemen sit in their stance for 30 seconds every play can cause the other players to become mentally fatigued. All that stuff he did at the line hurt us at times IMO,

No, you are confusing intelligence with Football IQ. Ability to react under pressure , to make instinctual reactions and having infinite football experience have little to do with actual intellect in the traditional sense of the word. There are certain advantages to being highly intelligent but it is not a prerequisite for NFL success as history has shown us countless times.

Their are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part to play QB or O-line in this league you have to be extremely intelligent and IQ and Football IQ go hand in hand, especially at the QB position. You don't see many Dez Bryant type QB's intellectually.

Please name some SUPER BOWL QB's who weren't highly intelligent other than ELI MANNING???

You're right, 2010 peyton hadn't yet had procedures or treatment for the neck injury. He was playing through the pain and dealing with it.

As for Saturday, yes he was an important piece of the online and if Peyton had still been here this past year then Saturday likely would have been re-signed. Even if not though I have no problem believing Peyton could have still been successful with a different center.

Their are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part to play QB or O-line in this league you have to be extremely intelligent and IQ and Football IQ go hand in hand, especially at the QB position. You don't see many Dez Bryant type QB's intellectually.

Okay.... list all the Ivy League QB's in the Hall of Fame for me.

Your original argument was that a Tennessee grad couldn't be as football-smart as a Stanford grad after all.

"IQ and Football IQ go hand in hand"... No they don't, and if you believe that, you haven't played on or been around sports teams much in your life.

"

Your original argument was that a Tennessee grad couldn't be as football-smart as a Stanford grad after all.

"IQ and Football IQ go hand in hand"... No they don't, and if you believe that, you haven't played on or been around sports teams much in your life.

"

I never said that they couldn't be as smart??? I was responding to someone saying Luck isn't as smart as Manning and I don't see it IQ wise or football IQ wise...Just compare Manning at the same time in his career as Luck and tell me how he was any smarter or further along...I think Luck is actually further along as does Bruce Arians who coached both as rookies..I'll take his word for it...People act like Peyton is a mad genius or something, he has made his share of bonehead picks as well.

"

Good lord...smh. I never said IQ and football in general I said IQ and QB or O-Line..Do you think they put so much stock in the  Wonderlic aptitude test at the combine for no reason????  Why do you think it exists? Certain positions it matters much more than others...Instincts are more important at some positions , but to be a Great QB you need great instincts and a high intelligence. Plenty of GM's and scouts would agree with me on that.

Good lord...smh. I never said IQ and football in general I said IQ and QB or O-Line..Do you think they put so much stock in the  Wonderlic aptitude test at the combine for no reason????  Why do you think it exists? Certain positions it matters much more than others...Instincts are more important at some positions , but to be a Great QB you need great instincts and a high intelligence. Plenty of GM's and scouts would agree with me on that.

haha No one does. Dan Marino scored a 16. Fitzpatrick scored a 49.

I never said that they couldn't be as smart??? I was responding to someone saying Luck isn't as smart as Manning and I don't see it IQ wise or football IQ wise...Just compare Manning at the same time in his career as Luck and tell me how he was any smarter or further along...I think Luck is actually further along as does Bruce Arians who coached both as rookies..I'll take his word for it...People act like Peyton is a mad genius or something, he has made his share of bonehead picks as well.

The difference is, those bonehead picks fall on Manning's head and his head alone, as does the successes. The playbook is his and the plays are his. He reads the defense, he isn't sent out by Josh McDaniel with two plays to pick from on every play like Brady... he calls the shots and has an offensive coordinator to assist him. His Football IQ is incredible and a lot of that comes from experience and an obsession with the film room that it would be unfair to ask anyone who wants to live a life to replicate.

Physically, Luck has more to offer, but can you not let him just be really really good for a while? He will have a long career, lets start calling him elite when he has proved it.

Exactly, which is why I asked you to list the Ivy League QB's in the Hall of Fame. I can only think of Elway as a top University graduate.

Who puts high stock in the Wonderlic? It is incredibly flawed. And it so happens that it is designed to measure Football IQ... which many scouts will tell you cannot be measured in such a way.

Intellect is great to have, but do not confuse it with Football IQ, which is crucial for an elite QB.

Roet

Exactly, which is why I asked you to list the Ivy League QB's in the Hall of Fame. I can only think of Elway as a top University graduate.

Who puts high stock in the Wonderlic? It is incredibly flawed. And it so happens that it is designed to measure Football IQ... which many scouts will tell you cannot be measured in such a way.

Intellect is great to have, but do not confuse it with Football IQ, which is crucial for an elite QB.

Listen to most QB's or O-linemen interviewed and compare it to most positions and the difference is obvious, but there are always exceptions.

By the way, neither Manning nor Luck blew anyone away with their Wonderlic scores.