Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible 53 Man Roster Plus Mock Draft

Ok so I know with some Grigson's FA signings were not viewed as the most popular (while I agree there could have been some deals done cheaper).  So the other day I decided to look at the roster and put together a rough 53 man roster with the new signings.

Here is what I found out by putting this list together, Grigson did an incredible job filling holes and adding good depth to the roster.  Gone are the days where we sign guys off the streets.  Thanks to Grigsons bigger picture view, there will be great competition heading into training camp.

So here is my little rough estimate of what our current 53 man roster could be:

Starters                                                    Depth

OFFENSE:

QB - Andrew Luck                                    Hasselbeck

RB - Vick Ballard                                      Brown, Carter

FB - Stanley Havali

WR - Reggie Wayne, DHB                       Hilton, Brazill, Whalen, Kelley

TE - Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen            Saunders

LT - Anthony Castanzo

LG - Donald Thomas

C- Samson Satele                                    Linkenbach, Reitz, Ijalana, Shipley, Anderson

RG - Mike McGlynn

RT - Gosder Cherilus

DEFENSE:

FS - Antoine Bethea                                 Lefeged

SS - LaRon Landry

CB - Vontae Davis, Greg Toler                 Butler, Gordy, Vaughn

OLB - Erik Walden, Robert Mathis           Hughes, Hickman, Sidbury

ILB - Jerrell Freeman, Pat Angerer          Connor

DE - Cory Redding

NT - Aubroyo Franklin                              Chapman, McKinney, Moala, Tevaseu, Nevis, Guy, Matthews

DT - Ricky Jean Francois

P - Pat McAfee

K - Adam Vinatieri

And now to the fun part, putting this list together showed some holes and depth problems on the roster.  So here is my mock draft, helping fill those needs and adding even greater competition to training camp.

In this the Colts will trade down (24) with San Fransisco for 2nd (34) and 3rd (93), according to trade value chart, this works for both, 740 for pick 24 and a combined 688 for San Frans picks.

MOCK DRAFT:

ROUND 2:  Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M

ROUND 3:  Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego St.

ROUND 3:  Brian Winters, OG, Kent St.

ROUND 4:  Josh Evans, FS, Florida

ROUND 6:  Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama

ROUND 7:  Miguel Maysonet, RB, Stony Brook

ROUND 7:  Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky

Call me very, very impressed......

But on the trade value chart.......       San Francisco gets the 24th pick (740 points)  and Indy gets the 34th pick and the 93rd pick and they total (688 points)   And yet,  you say it works for both sides.

The purpose of the chart is to try and get the numbers for the two sides to be as close to equal as they can.   So,  the 49ers need to send another pick to the Colts to get that 688 closer to 740.    

The deal as you structured it would leave Indy some 52 points shy of an even deal....

A quick look at the full 7-round draft and the points chart....    shows a SF 4th round pick is worth 44 points, so that would get us close....    or....   a SF 5 and 6 together are worth a combined 49.5 points,  so that gets us even closer....    I'd be OK with either....

Otherwise.....   it all works for me, quite nicely thank you!

Too bad San Fran is looking to trade up higher for Sheldon Richardson, Kenny Vaccaro, or Tavon Austin. Well that's what their beat writers are suggesting, it makes sense for them to trade up and go get one of the best player at his position rather than just trade up to #24 with the picks they have. My guess is the 49ers will be picking in the 10-15 range on draft day

Call me very, very impressed......

But on the trade value chart.......       San Francisco gets the 24th pick (740 points)  and Indy gets the 34th pick and the 93rd pick and they total (688 points)   And yet,  you say it works for both sides.

The purpose of the chart is to try and get the numbers for the two sides to be as close to equal as they can.   So,  the 49ers need to send another pick to the Colts to get that 688 closer to 740.    

The deal as you structured it would leave Indy some 52 points shy of an even deal....

A quick look at the full 7-round draft and the points chart....    shows a SF 4th round pick is worth 44 points, so that would get us close....    or....   a SF 5 and 6 together are worth a combined 49.5 points,  so that gets us even closer....    I'd be OK with either....

Otherwise.....   it all works for me, quite nicely thank you!

Yeah I wouldn't mind more picks, I guess I was just trying to keep it plausible.  If we could get San Fran to throw in a 4th or a 5th, I would be all for it.

I look at this and 1 glaring need pops out. We need another Tackle, no ands, ifs, or buts, about it. We have Link for Tackle depth and thats it. Look for us to draft one or we'll have to keep Sowell and drop one of the back up guards. No way are we going into the season with only 1 backup tackle.

I look at this and 1 glaring need pops out. We need another Tackle, no ands, ifs, or buts, about it. We have Link for Tackle depth and thats it. Look for us to draft one or we'll have to keep Sowell and drop one of the back up guards. No way are we going into the season with only 1 backup tackle.

Agreed, and as NCF pointed out, San Fransisco throwing in their late 4th would make the trade even more even (1st (740) 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (732)).  So with that pick I was looking and thinking we could go with Ricky Wagner, OT from Wisconsin, if still available.

Draft

Round 1-Jonathan Cooper (Depending on how so Warmack comes off the board Cooper could fall to us and I personally dont see Warmack being better then Decastro so I think he could last longer then people think)

Round 3-Jamie Collins

Round 4-D.J. Hayden

Round 6-Corey Fuller

Round 7-Joe Vellano

Round 7-Brandan Bishop

OR

Trade Down to 34 (49ers)-Pickup 49ers 5th round pick(131) 41 points, 49ers 4th round Comp pick plus 49ers 4th and 5th round picks next year

Colts 24th pick worth 740 points to 49ers 34 (560 points) (difference of 180 points)

Draft

Round 1-Jonathan Cooper (Depending on how so Warmack comes off the board Cooper could fall to us and I personally dont see Warmack being better then Decastro so I think he could last longer then people think)

Round 3-Jamie Collins

Round 4-D.J. Hayden

Round 6-Corey Fuller

Round 7-Joe Vellano

Round 7-Brandan Bishop

OR

Trade Down to 34 (49ers)-Pickup 49ers 5th round pick(131) 41 points, 49ers 4th round Comp pick plus 49ers 4th and 5th round picks next year

Colts 24th pick worth 740 points to 49ers 34 (560 points) (difference of 180 points)

Comp picks can't be traded

Draft

Round 3-Jamie Collins

Round 4-D.J. Hayden

Round 6-Corey Fuller

Round 7-Joe Vellano

Round 7-Brandan Bishop

OR

First off Gavin I completely agree with you that if Cooper is there you have to go with him, I just don't think he will be there. Second Jamie Collins is a second round pick and DJ Hayden is a late first early second round pick, there's just no way either of them will be there when we pick in those rounds.

Ok so trading with the 49ers is all but out the door then from the looks of it, at least according to the chart

Another thing, how is trading with them out of the question. I put a valid scenario up there, our 24th pick is worth 740 points, there 34th (2nd) 93rd (3rd) and 128 (4th) is worth a combined 732 points. So how is it out the door to trade with them.

First off Gavin I completely agree with you that if Cooper is there you have to go with him, I just don't think he will be there. Second Jamie Collins is a second round pick and DJ Hayden is a late first early second round pick, there's just no way either of them will be there when we pick in those rounds.

Hayden has health concerns thats the reason for his drop I believe, Collins has a top of the 4th round grade in my opinion do to lack of strength and at times very sloppy tackling (Nebraska game is a good example) poor tackling, diving at feet 

Another thing, how is trading with them out of the question. I put a valid scenario up there, our 24th pick is worth 740 points, there 34th (2nd) 93rd (3rd) and 128 (4th) is worth a combined 732 points. So how is it out the door to trade with them.

Forgot to read that before I posted, 

Hayden has health concerns thats the reason for his drop I believe, Collins has a top of the 4th round grade in my opinion do to lack of strength and at times very sloppy tackling (Nebraska game is a good example) poor tackling, diving at feet 

Health concerns would be a stretch for Hayden. He tore his inferior vena cava, which is a major vein, its not like its a lingering injury that will hamper him.  He didn't tear an acl or anything like that, teams are not going to look at him and say he has injury concerns.  It was a one time freak accident that was fixed and will not diminish his play whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong if we could get him in the 3rd I would be extatic, but I do not see it happening.  Like I said, no team views him as an injury waiting to happen.