Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Forum Mock draft Round 1 results/discussion thread.

1 Kansas City – Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A & M

2 Jacksonville – Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

3 Oakland – Shariff Floyd, DT, Florida

4 Philadelphia – Dion Jordan, OLB/DE, Oregon

5 Detroit – Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU

6 Cleveland – Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU

7 Arizona – Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan

8 Buffalo – Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia

9 New York Jets – Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia

10 Tennessee – Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

11 San Diego – Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

12 Miami – Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama

13 Tampa Bay – Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah

14 Carolina – Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

15 New Orleans – Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

16 St. Louis – Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina

17 Pittsburgh – Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia

18 Dallas – Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

19 New York Giants – Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

20 Chicago – Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State

21 Cincinnati – D.J.Fluker, OG/OT, Alabama

22 St. Louis (from Washington) – Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

23 Minnesota – Keenan Allen, WR, California

24 Indianapolis – DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

25 Minnesota (from Seattle) – Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

26 Green Bay – Damontre Moore, OLB/DE, Texas A & M

27 Houston – Alex Okafor, OLB/DE, Texas

28 Denver – Johnathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State

29 New England – Margus Hunt, OLB/DE, SMU

30 Atlanta – Sam Montgomery, OLB/DE, LSU

31 San Francisco – Matt Elam, SS, Florida

32 Baltimore – Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

Picks I found questionable-

*Joeckel to KC- Don't need a LT at all.

* Mingo to Cleveland- Sheard and Kruger are two budding stars at OLB

* Rhodes to Tenessee- They have two young CBs holding down the outside spots.

* Warmack to Miami- No need for OG at all.

* Werner to NO- He isn't an OLB

* Ogletree to Pitt- Don't need an ILB early, he is a reach, and has off-field issues.

* C. Patterson to NYG- They already have Cruz, Randle, and Nicks.

* Fluker to Cincy- Don't need OL help, and is a reach.

* Banks to Denver- They have Rodgers-Cromartie, Chris Harris (rookie who played great last year), and Champ.

* Hunter to Baltimore- If he was better value maybe. They need to go defense here.

My explanation on the Dee Milliner pick I gave in that draft thread but here it is:

Derek Cox a starting CB of Jags signed by Chargers, CB Aaron Ross cut by Jags and signed by Giants, CB Rashean Mathis old and gone

So, this is very much like the Cardinals selecting Patrick Peterson of LSU at No.4 a few years ago to get a playmaker at the CB spot.

Next, my explanation of the Xavier Rhodes pick for the Titans and the researching I did:

Needs were safeties (signed George Wilson and Bernard Pollard in free agency), guards (signed Andy Levitre and Rob Turner), Center (tendered Fernando Velasco, their current starting C), RB behind CJ2K (signed Shonn Greene), DE (need only backup behind Camerion Wembley and Derrick Morgan), QB - they signed Fitzpatrick.

So CB was the one they had Alterraun Verner coming up in a contract year with absolutely no quality depth behind. If you have seen young CBs recently that did well and go into their contract year, Keenan Lewis and Brandon Carr, both got out of their existing teams, so the Titans needed some insurance and a young core to develop.

Thus, Xavier Rhodes was the logical choice.  Reaches, my foot, we are all armchair GMs and were screaming Angerer was a reach, Hayden was a reach and they were quality contributors for the schemes they were drafted for. With Gregg Williams, expect a lot of blitzing, which means man CBs will be required more. Verner is more of a zone CB and Xavier Rhodes will be the future.

Next, my explanation of Damontre Moore for the Packers, it was more of a BPA drafted.

But then the Packers needed a center, an RB, a WR??? But they have done fine with later round RBs and Cs, WRs, I think Nelson, Cobb, James Jones and Finley provide them ample options, so went with BPA

My explanation on the Dee Milliner pick I gave in that draft thread but here it is:

Derek Cox a starting CB of Jags signed by Chargers, CB Aaron Ross cut by Jags and signed by Giants, CB Rashean Mathis old and gone

So, this is very much like the Cardinals selecting Patrick Peterson of LSU at No.4 a few years ago to get a playmaker at the CB spot.

Next, my explanation of the Xavier Rhodes pick for the Titans and the researching I did:

Needs were safeties (signed George Wilson and Bernard Pollard in free agency), guards (signed Andy Levitre and Rob Turner), Center (tendered Fernando Velasco, their current starting C), RB behind CJ2K (signed Shonn Greene), DE (need only backup behind Camerion Wembley and Derrick Morgan), QB - they signed Fitzpatrick.

So CB was the one they had Alterraun Verner coming up in a contract year with absolutely no quality depth behind. If you have seen young CBs recently that did well and go into their contract year, Keenan Lewis and Brandon Carr, both got out of their existing teams, so the Titans needed some insurance and a young core to develop.

Thus, Xavier Rhodes was the logical choice.  Reaches, my foot, we are all armchair GMs and were screaming Angerer was a reach, Hayden was a reach and they were quality contributors for the schemes they were drafted for. With Gregg Williams, expect a lot of blitzing, which means man CBs will be required more. Verner is more of a zone CB and Xavier Rhodes will be the future.

Next, my explanation of Damontre Moore for the Packers, it was more of a BPA drafted.

But then the Packers needed a center, an RB, a WR??? But they have done fine with later round RBs and Cs, WRs, I think Nelson, Cobb, James Jones and Finley provide them ample options, so went with BPA

IMO, you passed up superior talent to fill needs...and considering the jags have needs everywhere, I didn't get it.

IMO, you passed up superior talent to fill needs...and considering the jags have needs everywhere, I didn't get it.

I can agree with that statement on the Milliner pick when I look back at it in hindsight but the others were all close enough to where they could have gone, so I felt they were more justified.