Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shaun Philips?

chad72

What do people think about Shaun Philips and the potential leadership he can bring to the table on the OLB front? Yes, the former Charger is who I am talking about. He always was active on the outside getting in the lanes of screen passes with active hands and had a knack of disrupting easy passing lanes.

He is 32 years old but definitely has LOTs of experience playing the OLB position as a pass rusher. His knowledge of the position can be leveraged for a year or two by signing him.

He had 9.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries in 2012, pretty impressive, IMO. He continues to defense and deflect passes too.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5623/shaun-phillips

I think it would be a great move if we went after him for a year or two to stabilize our OLB position with him playing more situationally.

Thoughts???

I think people really need to come to terms that were going with Mathis and Walden, with Hughes being the primary backup. If you listen to what Grigson said in his radio interview with season ticket holders, he pretty much makes it clear that they are satisfied with where were at with our pass rush. He did add though, that if there were a top notch pass rusher in the draft that they would take a look, but they do that with any position. 

They are going to give Hughes a fair shot to prove he's a pass rusher in this league if he doesn't preform we will look for a new pass rusher next year. Walden was brought in to give us a run stopper at OLB something people have complained about Mathis and Freeney not doing for years.

If he's still around in August, add him. But I doubt that he would be, because he's still a good pass rusher. He's behind Freeney and Abraham in the hierarchy at this point, but I think he'll sign somewhere shortly. At this point, I'd rather use that roster spot on younger players, and I think we'll be able to scratch our pass rush itch in the draft.

If he's still around in August, add him. But I doubt that he would be, because he's still a good pass rusher. He's behind Freeney and Abraham in the hierarchy at this point, but I think he'll sign somewhere shortly. At this point, I'd rather use that roster spot on younger players, and I think we'll be able to scratch our pass rush itch in the draft.

I agree with Brian above that we do not need him now, but as Superman say if he is around in August.....maybe take a flier.  

Yes he is 32, but the ties to both Purdue and Jimmy Raye exist....he may have a new lease on life and want to finish on a winning note!!!!!  He WILL with the  :colts:  :colts: