Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Made a Run at Wes Welker

1959Colts

You sure your a Colts fan?With our defense and offense already better than last year,and with 1 year under Luck,Fleener,TY,Allen,Ballard   all i have to say is        (CMON MAN) what you thinking?

We hope so, but this is yet to be determines. It's pointing towards better, but nothing is guaranteed.

Maybe because he is counting 5.5 million against the cap and had 0 forced fumbles and 0 interceptions last year. Reed is a better FS without question...but the cost would probably be too high I agree.

Bethea did have a down year. Maybe the coaches didn't like it. Idkk

You sure your a Colts fan?With our defense and offense already better than last year,and with 1 year under Luck,Fleener,TY,Allen,Ballard   all i have to say is        (CMON MAN) what you thinking?

We won't have the luxury of the leagues easiest schedule this year though. Are we better...yes..but there is nothing about this team that screams we are locked for the playoffs. Until we are the best team in our division I think people are going to question things.

I am a Colts fan but I am but I am far from being convinced about Luck. He led the NFL in turnovers last year. What I am thinking is that they played very lucky last year and this year it will catch up with them. I will be delighted to be proven wrong. I didn't think they would win more than two to four games last year just like most of the experts. I was wrong but I still saw that team being outscored and winning 11 games. Just a little change and and they only win four games....

Of course we were interested in him. A lot of teams were. And don't kid yourselves, he'd have been an asset for us if we could've landed him.

The problem is this: at this point in Welker's career, he wants a ring and he was only going to settle for $6 mil a year if it was Peyton, Brady, and Super Bowl ready squads making the run at him. We would've had to pay significantly more for him to come into what's still a growing team, with a 2nd year QB, and a rookie OC. 

It just didn't match up. We do need another talented WR that's young enough to develop with Luck, which is why I'm certain we'll draft one.

I don't think the Colts are contenders and even with these good free agent signings, I see them moving back closer to a .500 team. They played way above their heads last year and won 11 game while be outscored by opponents for the season.....

The out scoring us is irrelevant. What matters is the W-L numbers. Those numbers are misleading because they won close games but when they were beat they were beat by alot, so obviously they will be "outscored" over the course of the season but only by 5 teams. Colts aren't a fad team like 49ers and redskins. Eventually they will be figured out and forced to be conceptual qb's otherwise they are going to get hurt. Luck is a conventional pocket qb with the ability to run when he has to, not by design. Therefore there is nothing to figure out and be shutdown. He's already beating people and will continue to do so.

The out scoring us is irrelevant. What matters is the W-L numbers. Those numbers are misleading because they won close games but when they were beat they were beat by alot, so obviously they will be "outscored" over the course of the season but only by 5 teams. Colts aren't a fad team like 49ers and redskins. Eventually they will be figured out and forced to be conceptual qb's otherwise they are going to get hurt. Luck is a conventional pocket qb with the ability to run when he has to, not by design. Therefore there is nothing to figure out and be shutdown. He's already beating people and will continue to do so.

I wouldn't call the 49ers a fad team....that roster is stacked.

We won't have the luxury of the leagues easiest schedule this year though. Are we better...yes..but there is nothing about this team that screams we are locked for the playoffs. Until we are the best team in our division I think people are going to question things.

We have the 3rd easiest schedule next year..

But I agree although we are not locked in the playoffs, we definitely should make it. With our playoff team last year being 1 win in Houston away from winning the division, and then add our 6 STARTERS we got in FA (all upgrades, except maybe Walden over Freeney) plus our 1st round pick (Hunter, maybe?) and Luck having a year experience we should definitely make the playoffs. And I can't wait for the year to start

We have the 3rd easiest schedule next year..

But I agree although we are not locked in the playoffs, we definitely should make it. With our playoff team last year being 1 win in Houston away from winning the division, and then add our 6 STARTERS we got in FA (all upgrades, except maybe Walden over Freeney) plus our 1st round pick (Hunter, maybe?) and Luck having a year experience we should definitely make the playoffs. And I can't wait for the year to start

Indeed but I look at the teams we play this year and while we have made upgrades I think they have too. Tennessee has got better. That run game is going to be very effective imo. I believe almost every team in the NFC West is going to be a bruttle. Seattle and SF are the two most complete teams in football perhaps and ARI and STL continue to add pieces. I was surprised the schedule worked out the way it did for us but there are tons of road blocks ahead. Not only do all these acquisitions have to gel and fit into our system but we have to learn a whole new offense. THIS is the key that usually holds back teams. Young qbs having constant change at the coordinator and with the system. I know Luck can pick it all up but its just a whole new system for everyone. I'm not saying we aren't good enough but I have to pause. I'm not loving all these acquisitions we made. I know we are paying for future success and not only what they've done but IMO for the money we paid I look at the people we could have targeted and I have doubts. Call me a skeptic but I will have to see this team prove it before I crown them a AFC South Champ or even a playoff team. I just think Grigson perhaps was trying to be too cute. Prove he can find ALL diamonds in the rough. I see what he sees in these guys...and I don't think they are all bad signings but man they got signed as much as the biggest names in free agency and thats a big gamble. I worry about a pass rush and I'm not sold on the OL yet either. I think there is real work to be done there still too. Even if its an upgrade it hasn't been upgraded I think to the point that will allow Luck the time and pocket to improve on his terrible completion percentage. Hopefully it will happen.

Being that we did not get Welker how about Julian Edelman (Patriots). He would solve 2 problems, one as a receiver the other as a kick returner. In case you guys may have forgotten he performed quite well against us and many other teams and I am pretty sure he may be had for a reasonable price.