Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phins the New Eagles ?

Tyler Shaw

Miami has to do this to contend with the Pats. I don't think they are the Eagles at all. I like all their signings actually. Probably paid too much for Wallace but Tannenhill has a rocket arm. He and Wallace will work well together. Plus, their D is volumes better than the Eagles. They had a chance last year late for the wild card but had some tough losses down the stretch. I expect them to make the playoffs this year as a wild card. Philibin is a good HC, especially for QBs. Rodgers has not been the same since he left.

3 TDs from ALL THEIR WRs the entire year, they had to do something. Yes, they overpaid but if they did not, it probably took only 1 WR hungry team like the Vikes to do the same. Dolphins needed to bolster their WR front. Re-signed Hartline and now signed Mike Wallace, that should open a lot of things for their run game.

Bucs paid VJax 5 yrs. $55 mil. last year, did that work out for them with his production? Yes, I think it did and it helped Doug Martin too in the running game.

Besides, their D can be inconsistent but not nearly as awful as the Eagles, IMO.

Plus, Pats lost Patrick Chung at safety, went to the Eagles. Pats' pass D will need some work if they have to deal with Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline together. The key is whether the Dolphins can replace Jake Long. Maybe Jonathan Martin steps up, who knows???

No, not even close. Eagles went after guys who weren't great, but paid them like they were. All the moves Miami has made so far have been great.  They might have overpaid a bit for Wallace, but you need a guy like that on your team.  Wallace can be a potential Patriot killer for them for a few years, since their secondary isn't top notch, and just one mistake against a guy like Wallace leads to easy points.  Ellerbe is a stud too, he'll help that D become a legit top 10 defense within a year or two.

No, not even close. Eagles went after guys who weren't great, but paid them like they were. All the moves Miami has made so far have been great.  They might have overpaid a bit for Wallace, but you need a guy like that on your team.  Wallace can be a potential Patriot killer for them for a few years, since their secondary isn't top notch, and just one mistake against a guy like Wallace leads to easy points.  Ellerbe is a stud too, he'll help that D become a legit top 10 defense within a year or two.

Since when were Asomough, Justin Babin, Cullen Jenkins and Evan Mathis not great players?

Since when were Asomough, Justin Babin, Cullen Jenkins and Evan Mathis not great players?

Mathis was never a great player prior to the Eagles, he could barely stay healthy and on the field.  Since being with the eagles, he has been great.  I don't think anyone has any complaints about him.

Asomough was an overrated player for the most part, he was good in oakland, but he also wasn't targeted a lot either.  He didn't have constant pressure on him by always being thrown out.  He was paid like he was Revis, which he was nowhere near.  He was absolute garbarge for the eagles the last two years.

Cullen Jenkins was having to deal with the injury and wasn't spectacular.  He was a solid player in GB, and personally I don't think he was horrible with the eagles, but he wasn't amazing at all.  I don't hold that really against him since I never got the idea that eagles fans thought he would be sensational, but he was slightly disappointing.

Babin was bad all around.  The wide 9 allowed him to only focus on rushing the passer, never paying attention at all, and I mean at all, about stopping the run.  He only wanted to get sacks (or attempt to get sacks) even if he was hurting the defense overall.  He was a me-guy, didn't care about his teammates, the team, or the fans.  He had one good year in Tenn with the wide-9, and had what appeared to be a "great" year in 2011 with the eagles, but when closely at, he accumulated numbers against some of the worst o-lines.  He did nothing last year at all.

Mathis was never a great player prior to the Eagles, he could barely stay healthy and on the field.  Since being with the eagles, he has been great.  I don't think anyone has any complaints about him.

Asomough was an overrated player for the most part, he was good in oakland, but he also wasn't targeted a lot either.  He didn't have constant pressure on him by always being thrown out.  He was paid like he was Revis, which he was nowhere near.  He was absolute garbarge for the eagles the last two years.

Cullen Jenkins was having to deal with the injury and wasn't spectacular.  He was a solid player in GB, and personally I don't think he was horrible with the eagles, but he wasn't amazing at all.  I don't hold that really against him since I never got the idea that eagles fans thought he would be sensational, but he was slightly disappointing.

Babin was bad all around.  The wide 9 allowed him to only focus on rushing the passer, never paying attention at all, and I mean at all, about stopping the run.  He only wanted to get sacks (or attempt to get sacks) even if he was hurting the defense overall.  He was a me-guy, didn't care about his teammates, the team, or the fans.  He had one good year in Tenn with the wide-9, and had what appeared to be a "great" year in 2011 with the eagles, but when closely at, he accumulated numbers against some of the worst o-lines.  He did nothing last year at all.

Mathis had started 25 games the two years prior to signing with the Eagles and only allowed two sacks.

Nnamdi was unquestionably the best DB in the league prior to 2009 and was the 2nd best until being picked up by the Eagles. Your argument against him being thrown at makes no sense because that's exactly what what you want your DB to do, lock down the best man on the field. His struggles in Philly are because of the scheme he plays in and them having absolutley no saftey help. He was so good and thrown at so little that PFF had to lower the minimum requirments of it's "targeted" statistic to equate for Nnamdi.

Cullen Jenkins played in 27 games the two season prior to Philly and put up 11 1/2 sacks. Those are great #s for a DT/3-4 DE.

Babin was solid. He probably didn't justify his price tag though, but by no mean was he terrible.

Mathis had started 25 games the two years prior to signing with the Eagles and only allowed two sacks.

Nnamdi was unquestionably the best DB in the league prior to 2009 and was the 2nd best until being picked up by the Eagles. Your argument against him being thrown at makes no sense because that's exactly what what you want your DB to do, lock down the best man on the field. His struggles in Philly are because of the scheme he plays in and them having absolutley no saftey help. He was so good and thrown at so little that PFF had to lower the minimum requirments of it's "targeted" statistic to equate for Nnamdi.

Cullen Jenkins played in 27 games the two season prior to Philly and put up 11 1/2 sacks. Those are great #s for a DT/3-4 DE.

Babin was solid. He probably didn't justify his price tag though, but by no mean was he terrible.

Nnamdi might have been thought of as the best, but that doesn't mean he actualy he was.  He was not being thrown out not because he was great, but because the other guy was way worse.  He was comfortable in Oakland, but in Philly he couldn't survive.  Look at any highlight film vs the eagles over the last two years, Nnamdi is in almost every clip. 

Honestly, I don't know how anyone could make the case that Babin and Nnamdi weren't terrible for the eagles over the last two years.  They made zero impact plays.  They allowed huge plays against them.  Ask any eagles fan, they wish the eagles had never sighned them.  It was celebration when Babin was cut, and joy over Nnamdi finally being released.

Nnamdi might have been thought of as the best, but that doesn't mean he actualy he was.  He was not being thrown out not because he was great, but because the other guy was way worse.  He was comfortable in Oakland, but in Philly he couldn't survive.  Look at any highlight film vs the eagles over the last two years, Nnamdi is in almost every clip. 

Honestly, I don't know how anyone could make the case that Babin and Nnamdi weren't terrible for the eagles over the last two years.  They made zero impact plays.  They allowed huge plays against them.  Ask any eagles fan, they wish the eagles had never sighned them.  It was celebration when Babin was cut, and joy over Nnamdi finally being released.

First of all that is a terrible argument. He hadn't allowed a 100 receiver ever prior to being in Philly. I guess every single receiver he faced was terrible? Including those in his division; Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, and Brandon Marshall? Your argument is flawed. He played the best man every game and shut them down every game. He was the definition of a shutdown corner.

Secondly, I didn't say they were great for the Eagles. I was countering your argument that the players they signed "weren't great" which was a completely mis-informed statement.

The Eagles issues were not the players perse but the coaching. There is a reason why Reid fired the DC mid-season last year. Namadi was a stud that they asked to play zone, not his strength. The whole defensive scheme made no sense. You combine that with Mike Vick the human turnover machine and you get a lousy defense.

I am not sure why anyone would compare what the Dolphins have been doing to the Eagles. The fins signings have been solid even if they overpaid on some. You have to do it right now to contend with the Pats and teams like Indy, Pitts, Cincy for the wild card...