Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign G Donald Thomas from NE!

This may be true, but don't neglect the fact that he started a decent amount of games for them recently

Prior to FA starting I wanted the Colts to sign him and Vasquez, so I love the Thomas signing. They just need to find another guard in FA cuz I would rather them draft Jamie Collins or Rhodes/Trufant with the first picks vs an o-lineman.

Prior to FA starting I wanted the Colts to sign him and Vasquez, so I love the Thomas signing. They just need to find another guard in FA cuz I would rather them draft Jamie Collins or Rhodes/Trufant with the first picks vs an o-lineman.

I agree partially. I would certainly like to sure-up the O line with another O guard signing, so as to provide flexibility in the draft. While I would love to see Trufant or Rhodes in Colt's blue, I would also be ecstatic to see a hard hitting safety like Elam get picked up. When all is said and done though, we put ourselves in a far better position to draft best available comfortably come draft day. 

I'd like to get 1 more guard too. Hopefully Grigson makes it happen.

I agree partially. I would certainly like to sure-up the O line with another O guard signing, so as to provide flexibility in the draft. While I would love to see Trufant or Rhodes in Colt's blue, I would also be ecstatic to see a hard hitting safety like Elam get picked up. When all is said and done though, we put ourselves in a far better position to draft best available comfortably come draft day. 

Elam does not have good hands, IMO. I saw him in the catching drills at the combine and he was missing too many balls. He is the kind of guy who will breakup more passes than actually snag INTs. The upside is better with Jonathan Cyprien and Eric Reid, IMO, at the NFL level with their size and instincts. Matt Elam is better in run support than pass coverage but Eric Reid has better pass coverage skills that translate better to the passing NFL if you are just comparing the 2 SEC safeties.

Dont be shocked if Cyprien or Reid are taken ahead of Elam and I am certain one of them will be.

I like Cherilous and especially any lineman from NE. Those NE lineman know how to block and have been taught well. Our O-line improved immensely yesterday and we may not be done with it yet.

Yep, totally agree. They have the longest tenured O-line coach in Scarnecchia, I hope I got his name right. Year in, year out, they do a good job with O-line performance, when it is all said and done by the end of the year.

Elam does not have good hands, IMO. I saw him in the catching drills at the combine and he was missing too many balls. He is the kind of guy who will breakup more passes than actually snag INTs. The upside is better with Jonathan Cyprien and Eric Reid, IMO, at the NFL level with their size and instincts. Matt Elam is better in run support than pass coverage but Eric Reid has better pass coverage skills that translate better to the passing NFL if you are just comparing the 2 SEC safeties.

Dont be shocked if Cyprien or Reid are taken ahead of Elam and I am certain one of them will be.

That is a solid observation on Elam. I personally love Cyprien and would be psyched if we drafter him. My only worry is the jump in the level of competition for him. Reid is solid as well. I just get caught up on those hits of Elam's sometimes. 

That is a solid observation on Elam. I personally love Cyprien and would be psyched if we drafter him. My only worry is the jump in the level of competition for him. Reid is solid as well. I just get caught up on those hits of Elam's sometimes. 

Cyprien is my dark horse pick for the Colts if we dont sign Laron Landry.

I like the deal but i cant get my head around walden  PFF ranks walden worst linebacker in the league and is a back at best i really hope they chase barwin or avril really do  i can see walden as a depth move but not a starter

He ranked as the lowest 3-4 OLBer in free agency, not as the worst LBer in the league. That is a HUGE difference and I've heard several football guys talk highly of him and the Packers did not want to lose him.

He ranked as the lowest 3-4 OLBer in free agency, not as the worst LBer in the league. That is a HUGE difference and I've heard several football guys talk highly of him and the Packers did not want to lose him.

Still though, I hope we didn't pay him the reported 16 mill over fours years.  I know there are ways of structuring the deal to minimize cap hits, but that's still a lot of money that will count somewhere. 

That very well may be Grigs plan.  Sign a lot of guys (maybe not a big name) to fill several holes, thereby giving yourself as much flexibility as possible in the draft. 

Still though, I hope we didn't pay him the reported 16 mill over fours years.  I know there are ways of structuring the deal to minimize cap hits, but that's still a lot of money that will count somewhere. 

He only got 4 mil guaranteed. If he sucks next yr. we can cut him loose and no harm done. No big deal.

Wow. I didn't even realize that. So many people have been hung up on the worst LB in the league. But if he was only the lowest ranked (which means nothing) LB in free agency, then that is completely different. The only real 3-4 LB's were Kruger, Barwin, and Walden that I've heard of. There could potentially be a huge upside with Walden. The physical ability/ athleticism and work ethic are there. We just need a better fit. He can be a liability in run protection, but hopefully we will be more stout with Chappy and a new toy at DE. 

Wow. I didn't even realize that. So many people have been hung up on the worst LB in the league. But if he was only the lowest ranked (which means nothing) LB in free agency, then that is completely different. The only real 3-4 LB's were Kruger, Barwin, and Walden that I've heard of. There could potentially be a huge upside with Walden. The physical ability/ athleticism and work ethic are there. We just need a better fit. He can be a liability in run protection, but hopefully we will be more stout with Chappy and a new toy at DE. 

Actually Walden's strength is supposed to be his run defense. Irsay just tweeted that him and Mathis are switching sides so Mathis will be our pass rusher and Walden will be our edge defender.

Actually Walden's strength is supposed to be his run defense. Irsay just tweeted that him and Mathis are switching sides so Mathis will be our pass rusher and Walden will be our edge defender.

Well that may be a concern. I've followed him for a few years now (The fiance is a cheesehead) and I've observed solid cover ability and speed for a LB with solid potential to pressure the QB. I believe he may be an upgrade against the run from anyone we had last year; however, I would affirm that this is the weaker area in his game. Who knows. I'll trust the braintrust and see what happens.