Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Possibility At Right Tackle For The Colts

chad72

Just read this, I did not know all of this about Mike Tepper, he has extensive OT experience:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2010/1/22/1265586/2010-scouting-report-mike-tepper

If we want a stop gap measure and Linkenbach does not cut it and they don't want to put Ijalana in, why not Mike Tepper?

Tepper was with us all offseason and preseason and was still placed on the PS while Ilijana and Linkenbach were kept on the active roster.........maybe he isn't better than either one (yet)?

Just read this, I did not know all of this about Mike Tepper, he has extensive OT experience:

If we want a stop gap measure and Linkenbach does not cut it and they don't want to put Ijalana in, why not Mike Tepper?

My first thought would be the same reason Ijilana isnt in there. Hasnt learned the system yet...or just not ready.

Looks like if he sticks around, he might be a good backup to both positions though...

Last year we had 10 O-linemen, an extra one mainly due to injuries to CJ. This year, we are carrying only 8 O-linemen. It could very well be that Mike Tepper was caught in a numbers situation. He is listed as a tackle on the Colts roster on the PS and probably has been with the team longer than Ijalana has.

http://www.colts.com/team/roster.html

Besides, we do know that the Colts staff are more patient with our higher draft picks - cases in point Ugoh, Brown, Hughes, Pollak etc. So, they may be being patient with Ijalana to speed up and Mike Tepper could very well be ahead of Ijalana on the learning curve but we did not have a roster spot for him, just like Antonio Johnson rode the PS on the Titans' roster when we picked him up. I am just making an educated guess, that is all :). Since Diem is banged up, I would not be surprised to see Mike Tepper activated over the next few days.

I doubt he sees the field before Ijalana, but that article the OP posted reminded me of his incredible story. I can't believe he was run over with a car and almost lost his leg, but was able to recover and find a way to start for Cal and make it into the NFL (even on a PS). That video in the posted article is pretty awesome as well.

I know one thing, if I were coaching this team, and specifically the O-line, I'd be trying everything and everyone I could find to improve that right side. I'd be about one sack away from holding open tryouts to the public.

Tepper played RG for the Colts all preseason and did a descent job. I thought he was going to make the final roster, but the Colts used some of those extra offensive lineman positions on a 4th rb, a 5th and 6th receiver, a 6th CB and and a 3rd QB.

Even on Tepper's twitter he stated after the Bengals game that, "[p]laying in open space isn't my cup of tea, but I'm definitely getting better!" Not exactly what you want at RT. He's strong and plays strong but a little slow footed to play the end of the line.

They should put Ijalana on the field now.. why would they wait for Peyton to get healthy before putting him on the field?? Wouldn't they want him to have a bit of experience? A good year on the field before Manning is healthy next year would be good.

Being a linemen for Peyton is different, it's unlike being a linemen anywhere else, you can end up being a false start machine if you're not patient.

Link is just abysmal, I must admit, he's a decent run blocker though.

They should put Ijalana on the field now.. why would they wait for Peyton to get healthy before putting him on the field?? Wouldn't they want him to have a bit of experience? A good year on the field before Manning is healthy next year would be good.

Being a linemen for Peyton is different, it's unlike being a linemen anywhere else, you can end up being a false start machine if you're not patient.

Link is just abysmal, I must admit, he's a decent run blocker though.

Thats not true, its not like he wont know when peyton snaps the ball he's peytons Olineman for crhists sakes, its on the player himself whether he false starts or not nothing to do with peyton.

I think they will get Linkenbach one more shot vs the Steelers before using the extra day of preparation for the Bucs to put Ijalana in, just a gut feeling.

I think that depends on Diem's injury. If Diem is good to go, I could see him moving back to RT and Pollack at guard.

Perhaps that is just wishful thinking on my part.

The logic that the Colts are using baffles me. Why hold Ijilana out saying that he's not ready, when Linkenpoop isn't ready either. Might as well start the guy that you are claiming is going to get the spot in the future anyway. What are they afraid of? They might lose a game?

The logic that the Colts are using baffles me. Why hold Ijilana out saying that he's not ready, when Linkenpoop isn't ready either. Might as well start the guy that you are claiming is going to get the spot in the future anyway. What are they afraid of? They might lose a game?

Collins might get injured lol

Maybe they should put Tepper on the line outside of Linkenbach in a TE position. Yeah it would take away a TE and a potential offensive weapon but it would put another big body on the field and basically give Collins a 6 man offensive line.

We tried this last year with McClendon it didn't work too well. Also that is exactly why Eldridge was drafted. We didn't draft him for his pass catching skills we drafted him to be a blocker and he's pretty good at it. The problem is because he's limited on offense we do take him out to get our three WR sets that we like to use. Frankly I would almost like to see them to go two WRs and two tightends right now. Collie and Garcon are looking like fourth and sixth round draft picks without Manning. I'd dare to say it give Gonzo a shot and see if he can still go. Before he got hurt he was a play maker on offense. If nothing else he's something the Steelers haven't seen in a while and probably aren't going to be prepared for off the bat.

I would honestly go with with two tightends Gonzo, and Wayne and make a real commitment to running the ball on Sunday Night and see if we can control the clock. I think that's our best chance to win.

We tried this last year with McClendon it didn't work too well. Also that is exactly why Eldridge was drafted. We didn't draft him for his pass catching skills we drafted him to be a blocker and he's pretty good at it. The problem is because he's limited on offense we do take him out to get our three WR sets that we like to use. Frankly I would almost like to see them to go two WRs and two tightends right now. Collie and Garcon are looking like fourth and sixth round draft picks without Manning. I'd dare to say it give Gonzo a shot and see if he can still go. Before he got hurt he was a play maker on offense. If nothing else he's something the Steelers haven't seen in a while and probably aren't going to be prepared for off the bat.

I would honestly go with with two tightends Gonzo, and Wayne and make a real commitment to running the ball on Sunday Night and see if we can control the clock. I think that's our best chance to win.

Right, and yeah I know that about Eldridge. I was just thinking that Tepper would be a much bigger body. Heck maybe we should put Eldridge next to Castonzo and Tepper next to Linkenbach. The Steelers are going to come after Collins with a vengeance. Also maybe having those big bodies would help in the running game against them as well. Shoot go all out and bring Gronkowski in at FB too and have Wayne, Collie or Garcon split out wide. That's probably a bit much but hey who knows...I know we ran the ball better in week 2 than in week 1 but considering it's the Steelers I'm afraid we're going to see a step backwards.

Then again if our finesse offense puts 6 OL, a blocking TE and a FB on the field at the same time, the commentator's heads would explode and there'd be a lot of dead air so maybe it's not such a good idea. lol

Right, and yeah I know that about Eldridge. I was just thinking that Tepper would be a much bigger body. Heck maybe we should put Eldridge next to Castonzo and Tepper next to Linkenbach. The Steelers are going to come after Collins with a vengeance. Also maybe having those big bodies would help in the running game against them as well. Shoot go all out and bring Gronkowski in at FB too and have Wayne, Collie or Garcon split out wide. That's probably a bit much but hey who knows...I know we ran the ball better in week 2 than in week 1 but considering it's the Steelers I'm afraid we're going to see a step backwards.

Then again if our finesse offense puts 6 OL, a blocking TE and a FB on the field at the same time, the commentator's heads would explode and there'd be a lot of dead air so maybe it's not such a good idea. lol

That's more than 11 guys on the field lol

I will say this though anything that will make Chris Collinsworth speechless I am for I can already hear him gloating about how bad we are and how wonderful his man crush Tom Brady is and he's not even in town yet. I think is going to have to be a Hockey Bob game at least he feels what we feel.

That's more than 11 guys on the field lol

I will say this though anything that will make Chris Collinsworth speechless I am for I can already hear him gloating about how bad we are and how wonderful his man crush Tom Brady is and he's not even in town yet. I think is going to have to be a Hockey Bob game at least he feels what we feel.

Wait that's not more than 11 guys

Eldridge

Castonzo

Reitz

Saturday

Diem

Linkenbach

Tepper

Gronkowski

Addai or Carter

Collins

Wayne, Garcon or Collie

ok 1, 2, 3, ...11...yeah see that's 11 :P You had me thinking I was crazy. I'd like to see the look on Tomlin's face if that lineup walked out on the field and lined up. lol

Hey we could go all out and release Foster and pickup Michael Jasper, the 375 lb DT. I tell ya the small but fast reputation would be gone forever. Hey, it's late...don't be too hard on me. :D

forget injured the Steelers have some mean people on that defense they might kill him.

lol, its weird im actaully looking forward to seeing how horrible collins does... hopefully the colts can finally see that when they go 0-3.... But who knows maybe he can pull one out of the hat and actually produce but i doubt it though.... the man had 90+yds going into the 3rd quarter lol thats horrible for a colts QB.

lol, its weird im actaully looking forward to seeing how horrible collins does... hopefully the colts can finally see that when they go 0-3.... But who knows maybe he can pull one out of the hat and actually produce but i doubt it though.... the man had 90+yds going into the 3rd quarter lol thats horrible for a colts QB.

Had his targets caught the ball he would of had more. If the OC would call a better game plan, perhaps the QB is a better position to succeed. Perhaps if KC had more than 2 sanps in a preaseason game and just a couple of weeks to work on timing in a timing type of offense, the QB would be better. Perhaps if the defense would man up and become a force as opposed to a doormat, the team could perform better.

Had his targets caught the ball he would of had more. If the OC would call a better game plan, perhaps the QB is a better position to succeed. Perhaps if KC had more than 2 sanps in a preaseason game and just a couple of weeks to work on timing in a timing type of offense, the QB would be better. Perhaps if the defense would man up and become a force as opposed to a doormat, the team could perform better.

Agreed about the WR's...there were some drops that could have been caught. KC also needs better play from RT but he actually did a pretty good job avoiding pressure on several plays...then again a couple of other plays he looked like a completely different QB and held on to the ball too long and took a sack.

I liked the overall game plan by the offense, running the ball as much as passing, but I'd have liked to have seen more play action and trying to take a chance down the field to spread the defense out more.

Kerry Collins needs to look up the middle of the field more. All his life, playing with GOOD running teams (most of which had 2 blocking TEs), he has had 8 in the box giving him one-on-one coverage on the outside WRs thus allowing him to take shots and complete them too. Now, no one respects the Colts running game, so they feel they can just handle it with their front 7. Using Eldridge on the field constantly for the running game is the only way we can open up things for the passing game. Besides, the Steelers front 7 will be more stout than the Texans or Browns front 7 we have faced w.r.t the run. More reasons to keep Eldridge in their constantly for run blocking and pass protection. We can reduce usage of the 3 WR, 1 TE formations for a while till we can reliably protect Kerry Collins for a whole game, IMO.

Had his targets caught the ball he would of had more. If the OC would call a better game plan, perhaps the QB is a better position to succeed.

Interesting, please give us some example of plays that you would have done differently and why the result would have been better. Be specific please, down and distance the offensive formation, the defensive alignment and then explain what happens during the play to make yours successful. Because from watching the game twice now the running game was good and consistent. The passing game the receivers and Clark were getting open. More often than not Collins had plenty of time to go througf two and 3 progressions he was just not hitting them when he should have. I really fail to see how that is CC fault, but I will wait for your answer, I may change my mind.

Interesting, please give us some example of plays that you would have done differently and why the result would have been better. Be specific please, down and distance the offensive formation, the defensive alignment and then explain what happens during the play to make yours successful. Because from watching the game twice now the running game was good and consistent. The passing game the receivers and Clark were getting open. More often than not Collins had plenty of time to go througf two and 3 progressions he was just not hitting them when he should have. I really fail to see how that is CC fault, but I will wait for your answer, I may change my mind.

It did seem like the Colts got away from play action as the game went on but I could be wrong about that. When I watched the game for a second time I only watched plays where we were on defense.

For the most part I was very impressed with and pleased with their gameplan and game calling. I loved that the run to pass ratio stayed close to even for the majority of the game.

Are you serious? some of those balls collins threw were too high, collins is not a very good QB ANYMORE it dont matter if you give him 10 seconds to throw the ball the guy is inaccurate, immobile, old, fumbles alot and he holds the ball too long... thats a recipe for disaster against the steelers... when you have 95yds going into the 3rd quarter... dont try to blame it on the coach its the QB whos the one with the problem.