Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harvin's Contract a stark reminder what FA can do to a franchise!

Ok, I am not going to sit here and argue about Percy Harvin, because I think Minn. got rid of a literal "headache" and possibly got 3 draft picks for it, including a #1 this year and a mid round next year and the #7 thrown in. The Hawks got what they consider could be the final piece for the team who was 27th in passing. But when I finally saw the contract number which Harvin and the Hawks have agree to my jaw dropped. According to league sources, over $12 million a year! Now I don't know how much is guaranteed, so I am sure the number will actually be less, but still that is a huge headline number. It is the reason I am don't want to get into a bidding war for Krueger, who has one year of production, struggled without Suggs on the field, and is hoping for a bidding war between us and Cleveland. Let Cleveland have him.

I want Vasquez, a RT, and a CB. We will have to over pay likely, but Vasquez is an established hardnosed player. Vollmer would be great. Plus they are needs to protect Luck.

Free Agency should be seen as a time to plug holes, but don't forget to ask the plumber before he fixes them for an estimate!

As Philadelphia and Washington have proved so admirably over the years, I don't want to win the OffSeason Award!

Adam Schefter seems to think that Mike Wallace will be the only free agent who will be north of $10M per year.  I hope he is right.

A change of scenery may help Harvin tremendously.  Remember that he was in the MVP discussiona and leading the league in reception yards before he hurt his ankle. 

Yes. But the difference is Harvin has actually proven he is good, even with a less than stellar QB.

There is no reason to pay that much for people who haven't really proven anything. It is quite compareable to previous rookie contracts. You guaranteed to them massive amounts of cash without knowing whether they would even succeed.

Of course Grigson doesn't care about my opinion, and he will sign Kruger if he wants to. We will just have to accept what happens. 

Ok, I am not going to sit here and argue about Percy Harvin, because I think Minn. got rid of a literal "headache" and possibly got 3 draft picks for it, including a #1 this year and a mid round next year and the #7 thrown in. The Hawks got what they consider could be the final piece for the team who was 27th in passing. But when I finally saw the contract number which Harvin and the Hawks have agree to my jaw dropped. According to league sources, over $12 million a year! Now I don't know how much is guaranteed, so I am sure the number will actually be less, but still that is a huge headline number. It is the reason I am don't want to get into a bidding war for Krueger, who has one year of production, struggled without Suggs on the field, and is hoping for a bidding war between us and Cleveland. Let Cleveland have him.

I want Vasquez, a RT, and a CB. We will have to over pay likely, but Vasquez is an established hardnosed player. Vollmer would be great. Plus they are needs to protect Luck.

Free Agency should be seen as a time to plug holes, but don't forget to ask the plumber before he fixes them for an estimate!

As Philadelphia and Washington have proved so admirably over the years, I don't want to win the OffSeason Award!

I know Percy Harvin has all-world talent....but $12M/year is a ton of money and those "final piece" trades always remind me of the Hershel Walker trade. And the Randy Moss trade to New England was supposed to produce a Super Bowl for the Pats too, but they forgot to tell Eli Manning.

Anyway...I agree that the O-line and CB are good areas to address in this free agent market along with OLB and S too, I just hope we approach it with maybe 1-2 premium guys and 4-5 mid-level guys that are affordable and still upgrade those positions. 

the vikings made a GREAT trade! i am a firm believer in trading a player a year before there are major issues (salary, injuries and diminished play with age) and getting value in return. fans don't like it, but it usually pays off in the long run (look at the pats).

the vikings made a GREAT trade! i am a firm believer in trading a player a year before there are major issues (salary, injuries and diminished play with age) and getting value in return. fans don't like it, but it usually pays off in the long run (look at the pats).

Yes, it was a good trade for the Vikings. But ultimately it will boil down to what they do with their drafting and FA moves.

I can see Wes Welker and Greg Jennings both in Minnesota since they have traded away Percy Harvin, cut Mike Jenkins and are not going to re-sign Jerome Simpson. They are down 3 WRs and they dont want to go into the draft with their draft pick being an obvious WR.

It is hard not to overpay though, if you want a quality free agent like Vasquez. IMO, overpay for 1 or 2, then wait it out for the not so high priority free agents.

It would be a bummer if we were to offer Vasquez 5 yrs. $40 mil. with $15 mil. guaranteed (hypothetical) and finally Tom Telesco comes in and outbids us with the same 5 yrs. $40 mil. with $20 mil. guaranteed. So, Grigson having an idea what the market is, what the higher end of the amount expected by the player is etc. would all be important to nail down the top priority free agents for the Colts.

If we decide we overpay for Vasquez and not for Kruger, so be it. But we cannot vacillate and it end up costing us both Vasquez and Kruger.

Yes, it was a good trade for the Vikings. But ultimately it will boil down to what they do with their drafting and FA moves.

I can see Wes Welker and Greg Jennings both in Minnesota since they have traded away Percy Harvin, cut Mike Jenkins and are not going to re-sign Jerome Simpson. They are down 3 WRs and they dont want to go into the draft with their draft pick being an obvious WR.

It is hard not to overpay though, if you want a quality free agent like Vasquez. IMO, overpay for 1 or 2, then wait it out for the not so high priority free agents.

It would be a bummer if we were to offer Vasquez 5 yrs. $40 mil. with $15 mil. guaranteed (hypothetical) and finally Tom Telesco comes in and outbids us with the same 5 yrs. $40 mil. with $20 mil. guaranteed. So, Grigson having an idea what the market is, what the higher end of the amount expected by the player is etc. would all be important to nail down the top priority free agents for the Colts.

If we decide we overpay for Vasquez and not for Kruger, so be it. But we cannot vacillate and it end up costing us both Vasquez and Kruger.

the colts won't have salary problems for a couple years so people think you can offer free agents top money. the problem is going to be when luck get's the highest contract in the nfl in a couple years (hopefully he is that good). then you have to start cutting players that you have built a winning team around (look at baltimore). 

if a free agent wants to play for a perennial loosing franchise for an extra couple million, they can have him. that is a red flag in my book. i want players that value winning more. 

That would suck...but it might be tough for the Chargers to do, Chad....because they're only $10M under the cap, and that's after they dumped Takeo Spikes the other day.

But if it did happen....guys like Geoff Schwartz and Donald Thomas at OG, and Victor Butler or Shaun Phillips/Antwan Barnes at OLB would still bolster us at those positions, and at relatively decent prices.

Grigson will be on his game though...and I think we'll come out of free agency in good shape. :)

That would suck...but it might be tough for the Chargers to do, Chad....because they're only $10M under the cap, and that's after they dumped Takeo Spikes the other day.

But if it did happen....guys like Geoff Schwartz and Donald Thomas at OG, and Victor Butler or Shaun Phillips/Antwan Barnes at OLB would still bolster us at those positions, and at relatively decent prices.

Grigson will be on his game though...and I think we'll come out of free agency in good shape. :)

man i always like your FA wishlists...is like mines lol :)