Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Focus: Paul Kruger

For the next few days leading up to the start of free agency, I will be breaking down the potential free agents for the Indianapolis Colts. This entry is about Paul Kruger, the unrestricted free agent linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens.

Overview: Kruger had a strong regular season, but had an even better playoffs and was one of the Ravens' best players. Kruger went from a situational pass rusher, to a 3 down linebacker. He can rush the quarterback as well as any guy on the free agent market, and showed this season that he can do well against the run, recording 42 tackles. Kruger is asking for a lot of money, and will most likely be a free agent departure for the Ravens. 

Strengths: As mentioned before, Kruger developed into a very good pass rusher and asserted himself as the starter in Baltimore. He's got a good number of moves and has the strength and agility to beat a lot of right tackles. He's got good size and good athletcism. He plays well as a rush outside linebacker and could even play in coverage too a bit, although I doubt he'll have to do that more than 3 times a game. He and Mathis could make a great tandem. I believe that he's useful when with someone good playing the other OLB spot. He's more of a great compliment than a star linebacker. Very good all around linebacker that could help this team right away.

Weaknesses: One of his biggest weaknesses or turn off is that he is asking for a lot of money. He's also unproven. He's only had one good season in the NFL (in his 4 years in the league), which would probably cause some consistency questions. He's not a perennial pro bowler, and I doubt he would be going to many any time soon. That's a bit of a problem because he's asking for pro bowl money. He isn't very consistent on a game level. He has some very good games and then can go silent for the next few. 

How he fits in the system: He's a perfect fit in this system. The Colts operate a 3-4 defense and Kruger has played in that his whole career in Baltimore. What also helps is that his former defensive coordinator, Chuck Pagano, is the head coach of the team. They have a good relationship and Krugers knows Pagano's 3-4 the best out of any 3-4 variation. 

Final Thoughts: Supposedly, the Colts are in a bidding war for Kruger. I wouldn't necessarily want to overpay for this guy, he's not the type of guy that's worth a huge amount of money, but I would be willing to give a good amount to him. He is very talented and still pretty young; he's got plenty of years ahead of him. He fits in the system which means there will be no transition problems. I would like to see him in a Colts uniform as he could fill a big need, but I wouldn't want to pay more than 9 million (a year on average) for him. We need to keep in mind that he's only had one really good year in the NFL. Another big reason why he'd be good on the Colts is because we could call him and Mathis... Mathis and Kruger, Attorney's at Law. 

Grade: (No defensive rankings) Top 12 3-4 Outside Linebacker

What I'd Offer him: 3 years, $25 million 

i am very skeptical of him. the first half of last year he only had 1.5 sacks. 8 games and playoffs (great against a terrible colt line) just don't do it for me. if he is going to get a big long term contract it would be with someone else. he's way too risky.

From what I've read it seems the Browns and Colts are the teams in the mix. If the Colts want him, the Browns know they can get an OLB in the draft with their position, we don't have that luxury. I'd say it will come down to how much Pagano believes in him.

Hope you realize that your offer,  3 years and $25 Mill has less than a zero percent chance of happening.

As it stands right now,  a possible offer of 5 years and $40 Mill looks unlikely....

All the websites who are projecting where players are going to sign have him signing for 5 years and roughly $10-12 million dollars per year.

Just want to make sure we're all on the same page here.....

Oh....   otherwise,  nice evaluation....   seriously....