Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

i just thought of something

CR91

looking at all of peyton's losses in the playoff, the teams he lost to a lot of them when on to win the super bowl or got really close. 2007 chargers and 2010 jets made the afc championship game 1999 titans made the super bowl, 2003 2004 patriots won the super bowl. 2005 steelers won the super bowl. 2009 saints won the super bowl. 2012 ravens won the super bowl. does knowing this change the idea that peyton chokes in the playoffs

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never thought of him as a choker in the playoffs. To me it was more that the whole team being sub par was what really affected the outcome of those games, playing against superior teams.

This is my thoughts too. I blame Peyton's playoff failure's much more on Polian than I do Peyton himself. If Polian would have ever built a solid team around Peyton instead of just spending all our money on skill position guy's, Manning would have had more rings IMO. This is why I'm so hung up on building the trenches in the Luck era. forget about adding top weapons around him all the time and build a great O-line and a solid defense. Luck, as well as Manning could have/can survive with fewer weapons, but will struggle without a top O-line or a good defense.

BTW, this has been proven time and time again. A solid TEAM is more important than having more weapons.

This is my thoughts too. I blame Peyton's playoff failure's much more on Polian than I do Peyton himself. If Polian would have ever built a solid team around Peyton instead of just spending all our money on skill position guy's, Manning would have had more rings IMO. This is why I'm so hung up on building the trenches in the Luck era. forget about adding top weapons around him all the time and build a great O-line and a solid defense. Luck, as well as Manning could have/can survive with fewer weapons, but will struggle without a top O-line or a good defense.

BTW, this has been proven time and time again. A solid TEAM is more important than having more weapons.

cant really use that excuse that polian didnt help peyton now because he had one of the best lines, top talent at the skill position and a top 10 defense in denver and still went one and done

cant really use that excuse that polian didnt help peyton now because he had one of the best lines, top talent at the skill position and a top 10 defense in denver and still went one and done

Thats very true. I was speaking in terms of over the yrs. and not specifically this last season. Manning made a really dumb throw this season that sealed the end of their season. This yr. was on Peyton.

I think that it's a blend of what's been mentioned obove in the previous threads:

A) That the Colts teams that Manning played on did not have the talent to be in the playoffs and it was Manning's ability to play at such a high level that made it possible for the Colts to be in the playoffs in the first place. Then the Colts go one-and-done and many people see it as a failure rather than an incredible accomplishment.

B) I also think that Manning can be blamed for some of the losses. He is known as a cerebral QB with a brain like a computer. However, during the palyoff losses, you can see that Manning was thinking too much and trying to make too much happen. This may be a byproduct of the above (reason A) because if he didn't think everything through and didn't try to make plays happen, they would have undoubtedly lost. It's the stupid mistakes that cannot be accounted for, the pick six, and the throw across his body to the middle of the field, etc...

I think that it's a blend of what's been mentioned obove in the previous threads:

A) That the Colts teams that Manning played on did not have the talent to be in the playoffs and it was Manning's ability to play at such a high level that made it possible for the Colts to be in the playoffs in the first place. Then the Colts go one-and-done and many people see it as a failure rather than an incredible accomplishment.

B) I also think that Manning can be blamed for some of the losses. He is known as a cerebral QB with a brain like a computer. However, during the palyoff losses, you can see that Manning was thinking too much and trying to make too much happen. This may be a byproduct of the above (reason A) because if he didn't think everything through and didn't try to make plays happen, they would have undoubtedly lost. It's the stupid mistakes that cannot be accounted for, the pick six, and the throw across his body to the middle of the field, etc...

My thoughts too....

Can't blame my guy the way a lot of media/Pats fans like to blame him, but he has to take a little bit of the fault. A lot of it comes down to bad luck too; Rahim Moore getting burnt the way he did in the last 30 seconds is inexcusable, and in no way can be attributed to P's shortcomings.

My thoughts too....

Can't blame my guy the way a lot of media/Pats fans like to blame him, but he has to take a little bit of the fault. A lot of it comes down to bad luck too; Rahim Moore getting burnt the way he did in the last 30 seconds is inexcusable, and in no way can be attributed to P's shortcomings.

well peyton did throw a bullheaded int. for someone that is known as a genius, he broke the cardinal rule of  playing qb..

Peyton's teams have continually let him down in the playoffs.  Defense doesn't do their job or coaches make poor decisions or something.  Peyton hasn't been perfect, but his team hasn't bailed him out.  Look at the previous Super Bowl winners:

49ers - solid defense, good running game, very good coaching

Giants - good coaching, pretty good defense

Packers - defense that was playing well at the time, good coaching

Steelers - very good coaching, typical Steelers defense

Now what has Peyton had to deal with?  Subpar defenses and very poor coaching.  With a bad defense, even a great QB won't look good.  Look at Brady now.  His defense is nothing special and the Pats haven't won a championship in a long time.  Look at Rodgers this year.  Terrible defense, they weren't able to go far in the playoffs.  The most complete team wins in the playoffs, not the team with the best player or two.

Peyton's teams have continually let him down in the playoffs.  Defense doesn't do their job or coaches make poor decisions or something.  Peyton hasn't been perfect, but his team hasn't bailed him out.  Look at the previous Super Bowl winners:

49ers - solid defense, good running game, very good coaching

Giants - good coaching, pretty good defense

Packers - defense that was playing well at the time, good coaching

Steelers - very good coaching, typical Steelers defense

Now what has Peyton had to deal with?  Subpar defenses and very poor coaching.  With a bad defense, even a great QB won't look good.  Look at Brady now.  His defense is nothing special and the Pats haven't won a championship in a long time.  Look at Rodgers this year.  Terrible defense, they weren't able to go far in the playoffs.  The most complete team wins in the playoffs, not the team with the best player or two.

well then how do you explain what happen this year. top 10 defense top 5 offense good coaching

well then how do you explain what happen this year. top 10 defense top 5 offense good coaching

That top 10 defense gave up 31 points. 

And I'm not sure what you mean by good coaching because John Fox is a terribly overrated coach. He's extremely below average.

Are you flippin serious? Did you watch that game... at all?? The defense allowed 38 points. 38!! That is inexcusable! They got no pressure on Flacco, let him Hail Mary 3 TD's and lost the game in the final 30 seconds on a Hail Mary pass that should have been intercepted. The defense FAILED big time in that game. Fox didnt coach a good game either.

Its not what your defense is ranked in the regular season. Its how they play in the post season and they played like crap. Period.

Are you flippin serious? Did you watch that game... at all?? The defense allowed 38 points. 38!! That is inexcusable! They got no pressure on Flacco, let him Hail Mary 3 TD's and lost the game in the final 30 seconds on a Hail Mary pass that should have been intercepted. The defense FAILED big time in that game. Fox didnt coach a good game either.

Its not what your defense is ranked in the regular season. Its how they play in the post season and they played like crap. Period.

regardless at end of the day peyton still had mutilpe chances to win the game and lost with that bad throw

That top 10 defense gave up 31 points. 

And I'm not sure what you mean by good coaching because John Fox is a terribly overrated coach. He's extremely below average.

its not just john fox you also had mike mccoy who is now a HC and jack del rio who was a HC

Mike McCoy's offenses were terrible until Peyton got there and Del Rio didn't really call a good game in the playoffs did he?

so one bad game takes away the whole season? and i give mccoy props for changing his offense to fit both tebow and peyton

I personally don't think Fox is that great of a head coach.  And let's look at the stats from the game.  Flacco threw for 331 yards and 3 TDs with the Broncos defense getting 0 picks. The Broncos defense got just 1 sack whereas the Ravens got 3.  Champ Bailey got burnt all day and Rahim Moore had a bad game too.  The Broncos had many chances to put the game away with a 4th down stop or a turnover, but they didn't execute.  Peyton didn't play a stellar game, but I think most of the blame falls on the defense.

I personally don't think Fox is that great of a head coach.  And let's look at the stats from the game.  Flacco threw for 331 yards and 3 TDs with the Broncos defense getting 0 picks. The Broncos defense got just 1 sack whereas the Ravens got 3.  Champ Bailey got burnt all day and Rahim Moore had a bad game too.  The Broncos had many chances to put the game away with a 4th down stop or a turnover, but they didn't execute.  Peyton didn't play a stellar game, but I think most of the blame falls on the defense.

im not letting the defense off the hook. yes they struggled, but at the end of the day peyton had numerous chances to win the game. he had a whole OT to win.

no what im saying is the defense gave peyton the ball back to win numerous times

And Peyton gave the defense numerous times to win. Ala, giving the Ravens the ball back with 1 minute left and a 7 point deficit. But yeah I can totally see how it's Peyton's fault.

And Peyton gave the defense numerous times to win. Ala, giving the Ravens the ball back with 1 minute left and a 7 point deficit. But yeah I can totally see how it's Peyton's fault.

defense did a 180 in OT and yet peyton couldnt get 3 points