Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How broncos rebuilt 1996 losing team into 2 Superbowls, got fined heavily for it, cant do same now, & Elway on FA aquisitions,

bayone

From a Q & A ,  

, when you look at what the Broncos did between the 1996 and 1997 seasons, it's key to remember it was a different time in the financial landscape of the league.

The NFL's salary cap was still in the early years — 1994 was the first full season of free agency and the salary cap. Many teams believed they could spend more in free agency because they didn't always yet understand the impact of those decisions down the road.

The Broncos did tweak their lineup in between the '96 and '97 seasons, and they did it for the most part in free agency. They were one of the most active teams in that offseason in their pursuit of veteran players deep into their careers.

They traded a second-round pick to the Ravens for tackle Tony Jones and then signed defensive end Neil Smith, cornerback/returner Darrien Gordon, backup quarterback Bubby Brister and defensive tackle Keith Traylor in free agency.

Jones, Smith and Gordon were starters in 1997, with Jones and Gordon having started 16 games and Smith 13.

The other major difference was wide receiver Rod Smith was basically the Broncos' No. 3 receiver in the 1996 season, finishing with 16 catches for 237 yards and two touchdowns.

And in '97, Smith was a starter for the first time. He finished the '97 season with 70 receptions for 1,180 yards and 12 touchdowns.

It was the first of nine career seasons with at least 70 receptions and the first of eight career seasons with at least 1,000 yards. The 12 receiving touchdowns in '97 were also a single-season best for Smith.

It is also worth noting that the Broncos' plunge into free agency came with a price. They were penalized twice regarding deferred compensation and the salary cap in the years following their back-to-back title run.

Broncos heavily fined twice & twice lost draft picks,Two 3rd rounders

In December 2001, the Broncos were fined $968,000 ( this is late 1990's $ so even more costly than seems )    and lost a third-round pick in the 2002 draft for violations reportedly surrounding $29 million in deferred payments to quarterback John Elway and running back Terrell Davis.

And in 2004 they were fined $950,000 and lost a third-round pick in the '05 draft for other salary-cap violations between 1996 and 1998.

In '04, the penalties were agreed upon by the NFL, the NFLPA and the Broncos.

league's current salary-cap structure demands teams bolster through the draft far more than many teams thought necessary in the early years of the salary cap when free agency was thought of as some kind of fix-it option.

The Broncos will be able to sign free agents in this offseason, but if their intention is to stay competitive over the long haul, they have to resist the temptation of diving into free agency at the expense of their draft efforts.

That's a short-term repair that has consistently been proven not to work in the current climate.

Free agency is a tool, but Elway has said, "The draft has to be at our core, both financially and from a football perspective."

Read more:Some wonder how Broncos will deal with disappointment this time around - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22443572/some-wonder-how-broncos-will-deal-disappointment-this#ixzz2Iz3J1nMn

That's a short-term repair that has consistently been proven not to work in the current climate.

Free agency is a tool, but Elway has said, "The draft has to be at our core, both financially and from a football perspective."

Thanks for the read.

I cannot remember 1996 off season very much, but I didn't think Darrien Gordon was very good.

I've heard many times from Elway that his strategy is to build the team through the draft. Our priority should be signing our own free agents and shore up the defense through the draft. That's what I think anyway.

Thanks for the read.

I cannot remember 1996 off season very much, but I didn't think Darrien Gordon was very good.

I've heard many times from Elway that his strategy is to build the team through the draft. Our priority should be signing our own free agents and shore up the defense through the draft. That's what I think anyway.

I think that's the best way to build a team too.

Do you think he'll take a run at Revis...and as a Bronco fan would you want him to?

Because let's be frank.....Elway signed Peyton Manning to win a Super Bowl right now and he probably has 1 or maybe 2 season's left to do it.

Do you think he'll take a run at Revis...and as a Bronco fan would you want him to?

Because let's be frank.....Elway signed Peyton Manning to win a Super Bowl right now and he probably has 1 or maybe 2 season's left to do it.

Good question. I don't want to overreact to that one game Champ played poorly this year. He was great for the most part. And Chris Harris emerged as a great young starter. I feel that Revis is probably not the right answer. He is going to want a lot of money, which will give us much less flexibility in the future. Also worried about his knee. I would much rather find another Chris Harris. We have a reasonable amount of money but we have to resign Clady and he is going to be expensive. I would rather draft a corner and move Champ to safety if necessary. I think we can win with this team pretty much as is without sacrificing the future.

Good question. I don't want to overreact to that one game Champ played poorly this year. He was great for the most part. And Chris Harris emerged as a great young starter. I feel that Revis is probably not the right answer. He is going to want a lot of money, which will give us much less flexibility in the future. Also worried about his knee. I would much rather find another Chris Harris. We have a reasonable amount of money but we have to resign Clady and he is going to be expensive. I would rather draft a corner and move Champ to safety if necessary. I think we can win with this team pretty much as is without sacrificing the future.

I'd agree with you on those points.

I was curious because the Broncos, unlike the Colts, have everything they need to win a Super Bowl on their roster right now....and bolstering the secondary is probably their only concern, once Clady is re-signed.

But I could also half-way understand if they did pursue Revis with the idea that even at 90% of his old self...he'd all but insure another 12-win season and the AFC West crown.

It'll be interesting to see how Elway plays the Revis situation if the Jets do indeed put him out for trade.

Revis will be a very expensive solution so it will be ideal if you can find a good fit from the draft, but if there is no good prospective CB options you may have no choice. I don't think Champ can play man coverage nowadays since obviously he just no longer have the speed to keep up with young WRs now and he may be a good safety. Then you will really need another starting CB that can do 1-1 man coverage, which is very hard to find.

I was curious because the Broncos, unlike the Colts, have everything they need to win a Super Bowl on their roster right now....and bolstering the secondary is probably their only concern, once Clady is re-signed.

But I could also half-way understand if they did pursue Revis with the idea that even at 90% of his old self...he'd all but insure another 12-win season and the AFC West crown.

It'll be interesting to see how Elway plays the Revis situation if the Jets do indeed put him out for trade.

I would not doubt their making the playoff with 12 wins no matter they have Revis or not. But if they want to go deep and win the big one their secondary is really leaky.

Revis will be a very expensive solution so it will be ideal if you can find a good fit from the draft, but if there is no good prospective CB options you may have no choice. I don't think Champ can play man coverage nowadays since obviously he just no longer have the speed to keep up with young WRs now and he may be a good safety. Then you will really need another starting CB that can do 1-1 man coverage, which is very hard to find.

Another concern I have for Revis is chemistry. I don't know what kind of guy Revis is, but I'd be real careful about bringing in new high-price free agents. The locker room chemistry was very good this season, and the leadership of Champ and Peyton had a lot to do with it. I just don't see him being part of our solution.

Like I said, Champ played really well aside from the horrible game. I honestly don't know what to make of it. It's possible he will decline dramatically next season. It's happened before.  But I also don't think we should overreact. I figure getting a young player is far more preferable solution. We also don't know what we have in Omar Bolden yet.

Like I said, Champ played really well aside from the horrible game. I honestly don't know what to make of it. It's possible he will decline dramatically next season. It's happened before.  But I also don't think we should overreact. I figure getting a young player is far more preferable solution. We also don't know what we have in Omar Bolden yet.

Did you watch how he was burnt purely be speed by Bengals AJ Green? Not even close. Just one yr ago he was matching step to step with Steelers Mike Walace, but his yr he was 2-3 steps behind Torey Smith in the playoff. For these old veterans one yr could make a huge difference.

In NFL the best chemistry comes from making big plays and winning games. And as chaotic ans Jets are I seldom hear the problems are coming from Revis.

Did you watch how he was burnt purely be speed by Bengals AJ Green? Not even close. Just one yr ago he was matching step to step with Steelers Mike Walace, but his yr he was 2-3 steps behind Torey Smith in the playoff. For these old veterans one yr could make a huge difference.

In NFL the best chemistry comes from making big plays and winning games. And as chaotic ans Jets are I seldom hear the problems are coming from Revis.

Every corner gets beaten sometimes. And AJ Green is a great player, and it's challenging to stop him for everyone. It also can be a product of not having good pass rush.  Bengal's O line is pretty good.

But yeah, you are making me worried. I know he is not going to play forever. We need to have a back-up plan. I just don't think it's Revis given the money he's going to get paid.

Every corner gets beaten sometimes. And AJ Green is a great player, and it's challenging to stop him for everyone. It also can be a product of not having good pass rush.  Bengal's O line is pretty good.

But yeah, you are making me worried. I know he is not going to play forever. We need to have a back-up plan. I just don't think it's Revis given the money he's going to get paid.

The ideal solution is to find a young corner that can play man-to-man coverage from the draft. The current CBA will allow you to keep him for at least 3 yrs with low price. I just dont know if there is one in this draft class and if he can fall into the 30th.

To be honest even Chris Harris is not a real starter and rather he should play nickle back. The secondary was burnt every time the opponent was able to go deep. But well not many teams have the luxury of owning 2 capable corners.

thats why I wish they didnt pick Brock with 2nd Pick, I am rehaashing this since day 1

they readfed 1st pick to Pats for # 29, then traded that for another second rounder and an extra 4th, :ater they needed that extra fourth to trade down to get Hillman as a change of type / speed back

If in win now mode u picjk a player that can contribute now or in a year, that player may have made the difference, u never know

Now in giving up # 29 to tamp[a , tampa picked Doug Martin, Man can Broncos use him and still could of got Wolfe as next pick,. just no broke

Broncos admitted later Martin was quite high on their board 

========

Heres the real interesting story , go back a year, Elway   traded back in 2nd round to 49'rs , who did 49'rs pick, QB Colin Kapernick

who knows if elway didnt make said trades Kapernick could be Bronco starter & Peyton the 49'rs

W#eird Huh

so far champ doesnt want to be a safety

here are thoughts from Denvers ssister publication  to Sampede blue on possible FA pickups and Revis

also on how Denver can sign Clady & do some roster changes and gain an aditional 10 milion in cap space , they have 18,. say goes to 10 after signing Clady, that extra 10  then doubles it 

Broncos Could Bring in Big Name Defenders in 2013

Note these are big names, but old players that are not what used to be, including freeney, Reed & Urlacher

This article also discusses moves to get extra 10 million in cap space, 

Revis is also discussed

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/1/25/3913650/broncos-could-bring-in-big-name-defenders-in-2013

Should the Denver Broncos trade for Revis?

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/1/24/3911046/2013-nfl-free-agency-should-the-denver-broncos-trade-for-revis

thats why I wish they didnt pick Brock with 2nd Pick, I am rehaashing this since day 1

they readfed 1st pick to Pats for # 29, then traded that for another second rounder and an extra 4th, :ater they needed that extra fourth to trade down to get Hillman as a change of type / speed back

If in win now mode u picjk a player that can contribute now or in a year, that player may have made the difference, u never know

Now in giving up # 29 to tamp[a , tampa picked Doug Martin, Man can Broncos use him and still could of got Wolfe as next pick,. just no broke

Broncos admitted later Martin was quite high on their board

You can't let this go, can you?  :D   Well, hindsight is 20/20.

Elway has been giving a lot of interviews this week and he finally admitted that going with Peyton was a risk. Given that, I understand the Osweiler move. I know you and I are not eye-to-eye on this issue ;)

Thanks for the free agency articles. I will read them at lunch time.

I would not doubt their making the playoff with 12 wins no matter they have Revis or not. But if they want to go deep and win the big one their secondary is really leaky.

I think after the Raven game, Champ may be tested deep more, esp how he noosted and failed to back iut up how he will shut down Raven recivers like in first Raven game during the season, 

Good " AWARE " safety or quick big 1 on 1 corner needed

Good MIKE who can cover TE's as Broncos had trouble with that all season

BIgger Power RB for 3rd dwn & blocking, Moreno good but injury prone, Mcagahee aging and fumble issues last year , hillman good change of pace but cant block

A DT that can piush p[ocket to help dumervil, thats why article I posted was intersting, get freeneyu back into a 4-3 as DE & move Wolfe back to college DT position

a line with Freeney Wolfe & Doom with Von Miller as OLB is intriing and both DT's that started are free agents, they sould stop run usually but couldnt push pocket in

OL depth and can Kuper stay healthy

You can't let this go, can you?  :D   Well, hindsight is 20/20.

Elway has been giving a lot of interviews this week and he finally admitted that going with Peyton was a risk. Given that, I understand the Osweiler move. I know you and I are not eye-to-eye on this issue ;)

Thanks for the free agency articles. I will read them at lunch time.

Well at least I said that at draft time and not looking back, I totally would understand Brook more if Elway didnt say we are drafting to win now , as that old wendy comercial ,said wheres the beef, Luv Ya Babs

The ideal solution is to find a young corner that can play man-to-man coverage from the draft. The current CBA will allow you to keep him for at least 3 yrs with low price. I just dont know if there is one in this draft class and if he can fall into the 30th.

To be honest even Chris Harris is not a real starter and rather he should play nickle back. The secondary was burnt every time the opponent was able to go deep. But well not many teams have the luxury of owning 2 capable corners.

yes and another year adds to age of legs

LOL. We are demanding, aren't we?

I want Elway to do both!

& rightfully so as u are a longtime true Bronco fan , while I am a colt fan that would like Peyton to win a another superbowl or 2, thought this year was great chance

and after Peyton wins let Luck & Colts go on  a long term rampage through the NFL, , I think next year for colts is good one as with all cap space have chance to really fill needs with quality FA , just hope can play as a TEAM

WE understand eachother, just are coming in with same short term, but different longterm goals, I am in no way saying your beliefs are wrong my dear, its just our longterm goals that are different and thats why the draft is viewed differently by me

I still dont understand the Brook move based on what elway said about PM as a risk, since others out thewre proved to be starters and Brook withput Peyton to teach him, was not goinmg to play well if Peyton went dwn , thats why kept a 3rd qb on rooster can nopw get rid of

I mean even up a ton in last game Vs KC and taking PM out early , maybe thewy allowed 1 throiw, i do belive he completed it, other times and games he only handed off or took a knee

Russel Wilson was a 3rd round pick, Brook a 2nd nearly a foot oin height difference but wilson ready now

Have to run , sorry about spelling 

I think after the Raven game, Champ may be tested deep more, esp how he noosted and failed to back iut up how he will shut down Raven recivers like in first Raven game during the season, 

Good " AWARE " safety or quick big 1 on 1 corner needed

Good MIKE who can cover TE's as Broncos had trouble with that all season

BIgger Power RB for 3rd dwn & blocking, Moreno good but injury prone, Mcagahee aging and fumble issues last year , hillman good change of pace but cant block

A DT that can piush p[ocket to help dumervil, thats why article I posted was intersting, get freeneyu back into a 4-3 as DE & move Wolfe back to college DT position

a line with Freeney Wolfe & Doom with Von Miller as OLB is intriing and both DT's that started are free agents, they sould stop run usually but couldnt push pocket in

OL depth and can Kuper stay healthy

Champ did not shut the WR down in the 1st meeting while instead Torey Smith got injured in the 2nd qtr and they then threw an INT for a Denver TD. In the 2nd half they pretty much gave up throwing to the WRs instead they attacked the middle with the TE Pitta catching 2 TDs.

Champ did not shut the WR down in the 1st meeting while instead Torey Smith got injured in the 2nd qtr and they then threw an INT for a Denver TD. In the 2nd half they pretty much gave up throwing to the WRs instead they attacked the middle with the TE Pitta catching 2 TDs.

I can visually see t. smith on that sidline catch out of bounds landing on back in bad way when went down

Not sure who was covering that , do know Champ was covering  Bailey      ( LOL )   Boldin much that game & shut him down & that was surprising as Boldin so big & strong, and yes late 4th Qrtr I think  TDS  to Pita , 1st   TD was terrible as  Pita just stumbled down sideline and no one could push him out of bounds, that is what I am saying , need someone that can match up with TE's , Broncos had trouble this year and didnt have to face both Kronk & Hernandez in same game as will next year and a host of other good TE's

O Of course remember the IT pick six that changed game near halfs end, what was it 98 yards 

Denver still needs a solution for covering Tight Ends like Kevin Boss, Antonio Gates, Marcedes Lewis, Brent Celek, Chris Cooley, Dennis Pitta, Owen Daniels, Coby Fleener, Jason Witten, Martellus Bennett, Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. Those are all players the Broncos will see in 2013.  

((( they left out Colts D Allen )) 

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/1/25/3909678/2013-nfl-draft-outside-linebacker-production-ratio