Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I smell a draft day trade...

The Arizona Cardinals are in need of a quarterback, but find themselves in a position where nobody is worth their 7th overall pick... when looking at some draft trade value charts it occurred to me that our 1st round pick is roughly equal in value (740) to the team that drafts 7th's 2nd and 3rd round picks #39   (value 510) and and #71 (value 235).... Arizona might be afraid (depending on free agency, of course) that some one will pick the QB that they are targeting before they get a chance to pick at #39, so they may offer us a trade...

I'd be inclined to believe that we should accept if such a trade is offered...

i like it...

1. (TRADE TO ARIZONA)

(2.) Matt Elam or Reid (SS) or Amerson (DB)

(3.) Khaseem Greene (LB) or Sean Porter or Jelani Jenkins (OLB)

3. Menelik Watson (OL) or Da'Rick Rodgers (WR)

4. Khalid Holmes (G/C)

5. Kwame Geathers (NT)

6. ...

3 levels of defense addressed: S/DB-LB-DL and OL

FA: Long (OL)

The Arizona Cardinals are in need of a quarterback, but find themselves in a position where nobody is worth their 7th overall pick... when looking at some draft trade value charts it occurred to me that our 1st round pick is roughly equal in value (740) to the team that drafts 7th's 2nd and 3rd round picks #39   (value 510) and and #71 (value 235).... Arizona might be afraid (depending on free agency, of course) that some one will pick the QB that they are targeting before they get a chance to pick at #39, so they may offer us a trade...

I'd be inclined to believe that we should accept if such a trade is offered...

Definitely would not be against a trade like that. You have a link to where you found the value chart?

You give a very good (and reasonable thank you) example of an option Grigson will be looking at.

We need a Slew of New starters being developed over the next few years.

Grigson commented regarding paying big money for talent, "are they really that much better" than the next guy.

There may be someone at 24 that he thinks would be a Real difference maker, a GREAT get.

But in your example of pick 39 & 71, I bet he would also think he could select TWO players who could be solid starters in time.

I hope he gets an option like this, the 3rd round should offer some good gets.

i like it...

1. (TRADE TO ARIZONA)

(2.) Matt Elam or Reid (SS) or Amerson (DB)

(3.) Khaseem Greene (LB) or Sean Porter or Jelani Jenkins (OLB)

3. Menelik Watson (OL) or Da'Rick Rodgers (WR)

4. Khalid Holmes (G/C)

5. Kwame Geathers (NT)

6. ...

3 levels of defense addressed: S/DB-LB-DL and OL

FA: Long (OL)

I would bet money Indy brings in at least 3 FA OLmen.     And in this scenario goes D heavy in the draft.

Depending on FA, and who falls draft day I can totally see Indy trading back.

2   Matt Elam or Reid (SS) or Amerson (DB)   (love this thinking)  Terry Hawthorne maybe?  

3   Khas Greene       (love this thinking also)

3   Arthur Brown           Greene and Brown may be a bit small for a 34 OLB but they can cover if needed, and we seen how well big LBers did for NE last night.   Chase Thamas an option also.

4   Leveon Bell, Lacy, Taylor, or Rex Burkhead....       ( If Brown is let go Indy will have to draft a RB.)

5   DB

6    DB...

I would bet money Indy brings in at least 3 FA OLmen.     And in this scenario goes D heavy in the draft.

Depending on FA, and who falls draft day I can totally see Indy trading back.

2   Matt Elam or Reid (SS) or Amerson (DB)   (love this thinking)  Terry Hawthorne maybe?  

3   Khas Greene       (love this thinking also)

3   Arthur Brown           Greene and Brown may be a bit small for a 34 OLB but they can cover if needed, and we seen how well big LBers did for NE last night.   Chase Thamas an option also.

4   Leveon Bell, Lacy, Taylor, or Rex Burkhead....       ( If Brown is let go Indy will have to draft a RB.)

5   DB

6    DB...

Really? Two ILBs and a RB?

We did pick up "Killeen" from the AFL...? DE/OLB

Based on TRADE w/Arizona... "best available" and "value" always dictates need...or vise/versa.

1. TRADE TO ARIZONA

2. ELAM/REID/AMERSON (DB/SS) 

3. Khaseem Greene or Sean Porter or Jalani Jenkins or Chase Thomas or Arthur Brown or Kevin Minter (LB)

3. WATSON (OL) Da'Rick Rogers (WR)  

4. Khalid Holmes (G/C)

5. Kwame Geathers  (NT)

6. ...

FA: Long

3 interior linemen: Watson, Holmes, Long (OL)

4 Defense players (w/Killeen) with 3 levels of improvement:  Line, Backer, Coverage

*Da'Rick Rogers being the wildcard in this MOCK in 3RD. 6'3" WR

You give a very good (and reasonable thank you) example of an option Grigson will be looking at.

We need a Slew of New starters being developed over the next few years.

Grigson commented regarding paying big money for talent, "are they really that much better" than the next guy.

There may be someone at 24 that he thinks would be a Real difference maker, a GREAT get.

But in your example of pick 39 & 71, I bet he would also think he could select TWO players who could be solid starters in time.

I hope he gets an option like this, the 3rd round should offer some good gets.

IMO....Chance Warmack would be that player.

There's a pretty strong likelihood he won't be there....but OG David DeCastro had a ton of hype around him last year and he fell to the Steelers at #24. Whether that happens with Warmack or not we'll have to wait and see.

But if he IS there at #24 I'd turn the Arizona deal down....otherwise, I can't think of another player who'd realistically drop....and yes, the trade would be worth considering.

I think Arizona would have to really fall in love with a QB(and believe he would not be there in the 2nd) to give up their 2,3, & 5. They currently have no salary cap room for FAs so they may need those picks to fill in the holes on their offense.

I think Arizona would have to really fall in love with a QB(and believe he would not be there in the 2nd) to give up their 2,3, & 5. They currently have no salary cap room for FAs so they may need those picks to fill in the holes on their offense.

there is also a good possibility that they pick up their QB in FA... it sure is slim pickins at QB this offseason, Alex Smith might be the best they can do...

A couple of things. I agree Tyler Wilson does not make it out of the first round. Second, I used that chart last year when looking at draft trades which were happening and it did not add up. I believe that points per draft pick was done before the rookie salary cap, which changed the points significantly. I saw trades which should have netted much more, getting much less. My main point is the

Rookie Salary Cap has really changed what you can get in a trade!

1. (Trade to Arizona)

2. Margus Hunt (DE)  OR Matt Elam (SS)

3. Quinton Patton (WR) OR Sean Porter (OLB)

3. Stepfan Taylor (RB) OR Alvin Bailey (OG)

4. Shawn Williams (SS)  OR William Gholston (DE)

5. Kwame Geathers (NT) OR Brad Wing (P) For if Pat doesn't come back D:

and don't care after that quite yet.

And hopefully we had plugged the rest of the holes in FA; most noteably CB, OG, OT, and DT