Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did John Fox just learn a thing or two with 30 seconds to go with 2 timeouts?

chad72

The way Matt Ryan was able to march 40 yards, did John Fox just learn that you could potentially march down 40-50 yards in 30 seconds with 2 timeouts? I just shook my head when I watched that. :)

I thought Dungy was conservative, John Fox just topped him in that scenario, I think. Maybe he was just as shell shocked as the players, and not thinking clearly???

The way Matt Ryan was able to march 40 yards, did John Fox just learn that you could potentially march down 40-50 yards in 30 seconds with 2 timeouts? I just shook my head when I watched that. :)

I thought Dungy was conservative, John Fox just topped him in that scenario, I think. Maybe he was just as shell shocked as the players, and not thinking clearly???

chad

chad.....You know I love Peyton Manning

But it wasn't John Fox...Peyton can call what he wants...Its on him.

..and he thought that in 8-degree weather....you stand down.from your own 20

If Peyton was playing indoors, he'd have done what Ryan did...

but he wasnt throwing well.

Different situation. If he did start calling plays and something went wrong, you would be saying why didn't he just take a knee? The Ravens stopped them over and over in that game. Bigger question; why couldn't they get it done in OT when they didn't have the clock against them?

I couldn't have been the only one not sold on Fox as a good head coach.  What did he do in Carolina to be considered as a good head coach?

I watched Fox for years down here when the Panthers would cruise past and beat the Saints twice a year and I can tell you he's not like either of the Harbaugh's. Not a risk taker. He's an OK coach but I don't think he calls a single play on offense. When he was with Carolina he could absolutely destroy Brees, and most of the super pass heavy stat hog offenses, but his offenses were not the best. They got to that Super Bowl out of luck and while everyone hates Delhomme, i thought he was pretty good in that Super Bowl.

But it wasn't John Fox...Peyton can call what he wants...Its on him.

There's a difference between doing an audible at the line and going completely against what the coach says. There's no way he could have gone for it without Fox's consent.

Just watched a reply of Qtr 4, v the Lions again. Luck went 75 yds in 1:02 with no time outs, Going 40 yds (?)  in 31 secs with 2 time outs by a 14 year NFL general should have been well within capabilities. That was cowardly and they deserved to lose for that..

Just watched a reply of Qtr 4, v the Lions again. Luck went 75 yds in 1:02 with no time outs, Going 40 yds (?)  in 31 secs with 2 time outs by a 14 year NFL general should have been well within capabilities. That was cowardly and they deserved to lose for that..

Yep. We are not talking 60-70 yard bombs like Flacco here, that is my whole point. If you dont trust Peyton to throw 2 passes of 15+ yards with 2 timeouts, then why bother dressing him as QB? The middle of the field would have been open with the timeouts, so you were not confined to sideline routes. Heck, even if those are screen passes, you have guys like DT or Decker, who could generate some YAC or push CBs up the field for comeback routes towards the sidelines (they have shown plenty of that and got some comeback completions in this game too, and sometimes taken screen passes to the house too) and you had the timeouts to see the results of potential YAC too. You cant win if you dont try. Where is Herm Edwards when you need him? Besides, you just marched down on a tired Ravens' D when you had to go ahead 35-28 before running the clock on 3 runs the next series  :)

I am just talking strategy here. Trying and failing is better than not trying at all, in my book. Reminded me when Sean Payton and the Saints embraced perfection and went for 16-0 and lost to the Cowboys, as opposed to the Colts intentionally giving up on it vs the Jets. Attitudes permeate top down.

Are people shocked? This is John Fox here. My relatives in NC were complaining about him for years. They liked the guy but thought he was too conservative.

I always felt Peyton's best shot at another ring was with Jim Harbaugh but he would have had to have given up a lot more control. But, it would have been good for Peyton to play for an aggressive hungry coach and taking more of a back seat on a much better team like that instead of being stuck with the strange group of John Fox, John Elway and Jack Del Rio with an overrated defense.

But, I think Harbs is probably pretty happy right now with Kaepernick since he brings a dimension Peyton doesn't have. However the Niners had interest and checked him out so Peyton had his shot.

The whole playing vs. Eli thing. Woopie doo. Eli is not even in the playoffs.