Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

deanthony Thomas

I'd love to have him but with Hilton and Brazil there isn't room. He's faster with better stop/start and change of direction than both though. Needs to work on his routes since he's not a full time receiver but that will just take some time.

Eh, he'll go to high just like LaMichael. Not worth it where we will have to take him.

LaMichael was drafted by a team that was ridiculously stacked at RB so he didn't play until the final four games but ended up with 30 offensive touches averaging over 5 yards a pop. He averaged 30 yards a kick return including a 62 yarder that set them up for the NE win.

How did he go too high? Not to mention that the two players have close to nothing in common except their college team, they don't even play the same position in college or the pros.

LaMichael was drafted by a team that was ridiculously stacked at RB so he didn't play until the final four games but ended up with 30 offensive touches averaging over 5 yards a pop. He averaged 30 yards a kick return including a 62 yarder that set them up for the NE win.How did he go too high? Not to mention that the two players have close to nothing in common except their college team, they don't play the same position in college or the pros.
Call me crazy, but 30 touches proves nothing unless they're all TDs.

Call me crazy, but 30 touches proves nothing unless they're all TDs.

What do you expect on a team that has Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Brandon Jacobs, etc? With a QB that runs as well. His pass blocking needed work early and ended up averaging 8 touches per game played when he got in. It's pretty silly to say he wasn't worth the pick when there were so many people in front of him. The 9ers simply don't play rookies, the fact that he had 8 touches a game over the final quarter of the season is the exception there.

What do you expect on a team that has Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Brandon Jacobs, etc? With a QB that runs as well. His pass blocking needed work early and ended up averaging 8 touches per game played when he got in. It's pretty silly to say he wasn't worth the pick when there were so many people in front of him. The 9ers simply don't play rookies, the fact that he had 8 touches a game over the final quarter of the season is the exception there.
You are acting as though I said his lack of touches are because of lack of skill. I was saying that 30 touches means nothing. Too small a sample size.

I don't think he'll go as high as some here predict.   Thomas is small.    Very small.     I think closer to 5'9" and 165 than some here realize.    And not sure he has the frame to get much bigger.

He might still go higher than I think....   Dexter McClusker went in the 2nd round to KC.    He's pretty good.    But when you're that small,  you're typically not an every down player.    You're typically a situational player.     How high a pick do you want to use on a situational player.

James was a luxury pick for SF.   Harbaugh and James both Mad-Geniuses.    I also wouldn't be surprised if their 1st R pick, the WR from Illinois, Jenkins,  is much better next year.     I think too young and immature this year.    He'll grow up fast,  or he'll be out of there quickly....

The Black Mamba is not eligible.

He is also strangely not that fast...I know rediculous right.

But during CIF and National track meets he always coming in 3rd 4th or 5th....But on the field...I don't see anybody moving faster with him.

He has what they call pads on skills. This guy is going to be a first rounder...especially if Tavon Austin goes first this year.

DeAnthony went  to my old high school so I know a lot about this guy. He had injury problems in High school, but as a returner/receiver...he's been fine.

You are acting as though I said his lack of touches are because of lack of skill. I was saying that 30 touches means nothing. Too small a sample size.

Small sample size was my point. You said he wasn't worth the pick a pick that high, which is yet to be determined.

The Black Mamba is not eligible.

He is also strangely not that fast...I know rediculous right.

But during CIF and National track meets he always coming in 3rd 4th or 5th....But on the field...I don't see anybody moving faster with him.

He has what they call pads on skills. This guy is going to be a first rounder...especially if Tavon Austin goes first this year.

DeAnthony went  to my old high school so I know a lot about this guy. He had injury problems in High school, but as a returner/receiver...he's been fine.

He ran a 4.28 forty over the summer and in HS had the fastest 200 time in the nation. Was clocked at over 26 MPH in the Fiesta Bowl two days again during a kick return. Pretty sure he's fast.

I don't think he'll go as high as some here predict.   Thomas is small.    Very small.     I think closer to 5'9" and 165 than some here realize.    And not sure he has the frame to get much bigger.

He might still go higher than I think....   Dexter McClusker went in the 2nd round to KC.    He's pretty good.    But when you're that small,  you're typically not an every down player.    You're typically a situational player.     How high a pick do you want to use on a situational player.

James was a luxury pick for SF.   Harbaugh and James both Mad-Geniuses.    I also wouldn't be surprised if their 1st R pick, the WR from Illinois, Jenkins,  is much better next year.     I think too young and immature this year.    He'll grow up fast,  or he'll be out of there quickly....

5'9 175 is where he's listed. Even if that's beefed up, he'll add a lb or two and right where DeSean Jackson was coming in, 5'10 175

Small sample size was my point. You said he wasn't worth the pick a pick that high, which is yet to be determined.

He ran a 4.28 forty over the summer and in HS had the fastest 200 time in the nation. Was clocked at over 26 MPH in the Fiesta Bowl two days again during a kick return. Pretty sure he's fast.

5'9 175 is where he's listed. Even if that's beefed up, he'll add a lb or two and right where DeSean Jackson was coming in, 5'10 175

The difference between them is this....

DeSean had proven in college he was a polished receiver.    Thomas has not.     

Most of his receptions are bubble screens and quick hitches...   long hand-offs.    Just trying to get the ball in his hands to let him run.    He's not only fast, but elusive.    But he doesn't have downfield receiving skills yet.     He doesn't catch medium to long passes.    He doesn't have to read defenses.    He's not accomplished at the rout-tree.   He's still very, very raw.

He may get these skills someday,  but he's a long way off for right now. 

Thomas is not a WR..he's a running back that they spread out on occasion due to his speed and elusiveness..He's also a sophomore, so he can't be drafted this year..Since Oregon is losing Kenjon Barner to the draft this coming year, they have another freshman whom is built more like Barner who will share time with Thomas, because at his size, his body more than likely can't take a beating if he were an every down back. He will get drafted more so for returns, and as a part time specialty back or at times at WR..

I'd rather draft Barner, because of his speed and endurance..He carried the load this year, with some games over 30 touches, in a very fast paced high-speed offense, and would be a perfect compliment to Ballard and Brown..

Thomas is an exceptional athlete, with blazing speed..but, unless he would be willing to try to learn the receiver position as a pro, he won't be that productive in a normal running game.. Now, if he was sent in for 10-15 plays or so a game, he might flourish.

I like him as a player..he's exciting to watch...but not for the Colts..and definitely not this year.

The difference between them is this....

DeSean had proven in college he was a polished receiver.    Thomas has not.     

Most of his receptions are bubble screens and quick hitches...   long hand-offs.    Just trying to get the ball in his hands to let him run.    He's not only fast, but elusive.    But he doesn't have downfield receiving skills yet.     He doesn't catch medium to long passes.    He doesn't have to read defenses.    He's not accomplished at the rout-tree.   He's still very, very raw.

He may get these skills someday,  but he's a long way off for right now. 

Yeah, I said as much earlier in this thread. Route running will need work but, the talent is definitely there. He has shown that he can do it, they just don't ask him to. The Cal game last year is the best example where he had two long receiving TDs (not a catch and run) and another catch 20-25 yards downfield. It comes down to what they ask of him more than his ability. Hell, earlier this year against (can't remember the game) he got behind the secondary 40-50 yards downfield with 80 yards to go and less than 30 seconds left. Defense knew what they would do and couldn't stop it, QB just missed him. Wouldn't take long after becoming a full time receiver for him to do it regularly, IMO.