Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looks like the playoffs for the colts

Big Al

There is a very strange way that could have the Colts missing the playoffs right now.  So many teams would have to lose and win that i can't even get it up to come up on the NFL playoff machine on espn.com.  I saw earlier today that if the Jets lose tonight we have a 99.9973% chance of making the playoffs.  In other words there is a better chance the world ends on December 21st than there is that we miss the playoffs. 

UPDATE:

Found it!  In order for the Colts to miss the playoffs ALL of this has to happen.

Colts lose twice, Steelers beat the Bengals, Bengals beat the Ravens, Chargers beat the Jets, Raiders beat the Panthers, Chiefs beat the Broncos, Vikings beat the Texans, Jets beat the Bills, Bears beat the Lions, Jaguars beat the Titans, Patriots beat the Dolphins, and the Steelers beat the Browns.

It is still extremely important that win against KC or the Texans though and wrap up the five seed.  The difference in going to the AFC North Champion or probably New England is HUGE. 

That is a lot of things to go just right (wrong) to ruin it all.  But if the Colts get the W at Arrowhead, it is all moot.

So then I wondered why Miami at 6-8 is still alive.  And here is their 'perfect storm' to get in to the playoffs-

1. Dolphins win vs. Buffalo AND at New England
AND
2. Jets lose vs. San Diego OR at Buffalo
AND
3. Bengals lose at Pittsburgh AND vs. Baltimore
AND
4. Steelers win vs. Cincinnati AND lose vs. Cleveland

The NFL is endearingly weird at playoff time.  :)

I'm trying to validate that the Colts clinch the #5 seed if they beat KC and I believe they do.

The only teams that could finish 10-6 that haven't clinched their division are Baltimore and Cincinnati.

If Cincinnati wins out and Baltimore gets at least one win, Cincy finishes 10-6 and we beat them based on common opponents (Cle, Mia, KC, Jax - 5 total games each, Bengals 3-2, Colts 4-1).

If Cincinnati wins out and Baltimore loses out, then only 5 teams will have at least 10 wins.

How weird is this?  If we beat KC, then most likely it'll be the COLTS who have nothing to play for in week 17, not the Texans!

The other ironic thing is, assuming the Colts beat KC and the AFC East champ beats the #6 seed, the Colts go to the #1 seed and quite frankly I'd rather that be Houston than Denver OR New England.