Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Past quotes

Warhorse

This is just for fun. Please don't call out a poster if you recognize any of these. Some are prophetic, some are so off they made me laugh. Mostly, it shows just how much we all care and let our emotions get in the way of logic a lot of the times. I used ( ) to insert a word to clarify the post.

Enjoy! (please remember that if you requote one, select it only. Quoting the entire post will be too lengthy)

7/11 - The truth is, if Reggie wants to stay, he's most likely not going to be one of the best paid WR's in the league, which seems to be what he wants. It would be a HUGE mistake to do that at his age.

7/11 - You know, Reggie only makes 5.95M this year. I thought it would be more. If we resigned him for two more years at that price I think we'd be getting a heck of a bargain

8/11 - i heard rumors that the pats might be moving away from the 3-4

8/11 - colts still haven't recovered from the retirement of glenn and the loss of jake scott to free agency....

8/11 - Please. Reggie's never gonna get 6 (years) for 50 (mil)....especially with the way our front office is trending now. But the guy has been rock solid for years and is a team leader. Made chicken salad outta chicken crap out there last year with every D in the league keying on him while 1/2 our offense was banged up & he played hurt because we had to have him on the field. He's got grit. He's also restructed in the past to help the cap and was patient playing as #2 behind Harrison for years. Reggie's stayin' a Colt, make no mistake. I'd expect another 3 or possibly 4 years tops. I'd also expect him to become more increasingly a role player over those years. Of course. Possession guy while we find a burner that can stretch the field on any given play.

8/11 - who knows how bad we'd actually be. we've never actually played to win without him (Manning) in the lineup

8/11 - If Peyton goes down it wont really matter who our backup is.

8/11 - 8-8 with painter and this team? You must be high. Curtis Painter leading this team wouldn't be 4-12

8/11 - We should try Hughes at OLB before we give up on him. He seems to play a lot better when he's standing up. I think he would be pretty scary blitzing from the OLB position with his great speed. I'm not garunteeing it will work but it's at least a shot.

8/11 - For what, to hold the clipboard? Manning has never missed a start, and never will. Bank on it. Typical preseason "the sky is falling" stuff.

8/11 - I don't think these guys make the final cut if they were undrafted free agents and not top draft choices on this team. Does Hughes beat out Chick, Anderson and Brayton? Hughes has no strength and is not fast enough to get around the corner to beat out all of these guys out of a roster spot. I would pick Evans and James over Brown, to backup Addai and Carter. He will be the #2 backup, because he is Polians Coveted #1 draft pick. If these guys were UDFA's, they would not sniff the 53 man roster.

8/11 - I think the texans are gonna be dominated, the texans cant just take their 4-3 and automatically change it into a 3-4 you can bet that D will be exposed come game time combined with the improved D of the colts, good win for the colts there.

9/11 - I worry that other teams knowing Collie's value to this team will be going for his head to put him out of action. Football is a cruel business and they will be head hunting.

9/11 - Some of you are crazy. We're not cutting Brown or Hughes.

9/11 - Not sure if it's legit or not but here's an interesting article about how the Colts might scoop up Donnie Avery, ST. Louis WR, 33rd overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft.

9/11 - No not at all. I love the Colts but this is going to be a rough one for us. Unlike what we have seen in years.

9/11 - I agree. The Colts are going to see just how good a coach Caldwell is. Prior to now, it's really been Manning who has carried the bulk of the mail in the leadership department. He was literally a coach on the field and more or less the de facto offensive coordinator. No single player anywhere in the league means more to his team. I think we're going to find out whether the Colts relied too heavily on him. Is he the keystone and without him the whole structure comes tumbling down, or are we underrating the team Polian has put together? I have a pretty strong feeling that it's the former. I'll still watch but I won't have any expectations of a winning record much less a playoff berth.

9/11 - Absolutlely it's a blessing in disguise. This gives us an opportunity to see who the Colts franchise is going to be in the very near future. I believe this injury will force the Colts to act, rather than waiting for Mannings retirement to overhaul the organization, which I felt was going to be the case.

9/11 - GET CARSON PALMER! My god how hard is it?!?!?! His rights are with the Bengals but I am sure a trade can be worked out. This guy steps in and the Colts don't miss a beat. Get it done! Is anyone even talking about it in Indy?

9/11 - I may be wrong, but I think Luck will have graduated from Stanford by the time the draft rolls around. So, he'll be in the draft. Now, IF by some chance he's still on the board, the Colts are on the clock but pass on Luck, I wanna see the meltdown on this board.

9/11 - If we're miraculously in the running for Luck, take him, no question. But we're not gonna be that bad this year.

7/11 - The truth is, if Reggie wants to stay, he's most likely not going to be one of the best paid WR's in the league, which seems to be what he wants. It would be a HUGE mistake to do that at his age.

Pretty sure this was me. I thought Reggie was gone after last season. He was disgruntled about his contract and a holdout was discussed at one point. (Prior to training camp last season, I believe.)

I think we got him at about the right price. Giving older WR's big money is usually not a great idea.

Pretty sure this was me. I thought Reggie was gone after last season. He was disgruntled about his contract and a holdout was discussed at one point. (Prior to training camp last season, I believe.)

I think we got him at about the right price. Giving older WR's big money is usually not a great idea.

I honestly don't remember....it took 2 hours to search that list! Some of my quotes make me go huh?

Gotta marvel at that last quote though.

8/11 - colts still haven't recovered from the retirement of glenn and the loss of jake scott to free agency.... -True Statement although dont think Scott would fit in our scheme in my opinion after thinking on it alot

8/11 - If Peyton goes down it wont really matter who our backup is. -Obviously was true at the time, that quote may have came from me but dont remember

In 2007 I said Polian was a bust. Not bad for a Brit, eh....

I really don't want to start this up again... however, like him or not Polian was NOT a bust. I'm not going to list all the reasons, but you can start with the Colts record under his regime and compare it to any other team in the league for that same amount of time.

Sure, every GM will eventually wear out their welcome. Maybe even become stagnant or stale, and then it's time for new blood.

I love our new regime, but I'm not going to re-write history and say the last one was not successful.

(Okay, rant over. Carry on)

I really don't want to start this up again... however, like him or not Polian was NOT a bust. I'm not going to list all the reasons, but you can start with the Colts record under his regime and compare it to any other team in the league for that same amount of time.

Sure, every GM will eventually wear out their welcome. Maybe even become stagnant or stale, and then it's time for new blood.

I love our new regime, but I'm not going to re-write history and say the last one was not successful.

(Okay, rant over. Carry on)

Had he picked Leaf? You are correct. He was not and is not a bust. He got Lucky. Peyton saved his bacon.

Had he picked Leaf? You are correct. He was not and is not a bust. He got Lucky. Peyton saved his bacon.

Peace. He built for and around his draft pick. Like a good GM should.

BTW, I don't know if you were a Colts fan back when Peyton was a rookie, but there were more than a few people who weren't enamored of him back then. I'm just saying Peyton wasn't Peyton coming right out of college. He was surrounded with the right coaches and eventually the right players.

Not saying he wouldn't have flourished anywhere else. You can't coach desire. Not like he has it.

Again, no need to point out if you see your own post, that is not what this is about. I have plenty of my own support of Caldwell and Painter. I can laugh at it now.

Yeah, I'm guilty of getting into it with a fan in the stadium who was bashing Caldwell... I'm not sure I can even remember what I was thinking in defending him...