Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on RG3 and Luck

danlhart87

RG3 has an unbelievable 1st half. He's really impressed me and has made some quality throws. Luck started off slow a bit and of course the weak o-line/running game doesnt help his cause but he came on really strong on that last drive of the half. I expect big things from both in the 2nd half! What are your thoughts on the two QBs so far?

They eased Griffen into it with some nice easy throws, which he executed nicely. The best play was when he scrambled left and threw a strike to the other sideline for a first down.

Luck hasn't had that kind of time. He missed a couple of first downs and just about every throw to Wayne has been way high, but he looked great on the two minute drill. He looked like a rookie early but he's playing a better defense and he seems to be settling down.

Griff looking really accurate - putting his guys in good position to get some YAC. That dome was rocking and the team and fans were amped up to start, but its gotten quiet since then. Out of all of Griff's throws so far, I've only seen one that I thought was a questionable decision. His play fake has been outstanding too.

People here are going to say how bad the Saints D was and that was why Griff had the stat line. My only point is that Griff has shown accuracy on all types of throws, and enough arm strength to stick it in there with tight coverage. So far (4:00 left in the 3rd), there is nothing you can say in a negative way about his play. This game is why the skins offense was so vanilla - there has been a number of things show so far that you didn't see in the preseason. Wait and see how he does once teams start getting some film on him...especially in that division.

Luck's team is just overmatched, which a lot of us have been saying from the start. This isn't a good game to make any long term judgement on anyone, let alone Luck.

RG3 has an unbelievable 1st half. He's really impressed me and has made some quality throws. Luck started off slow a bit and of course the weak o-line/running game doesnt help his cause but he came on really strong on that last drive of the half. I expect big things from both in the 2nd half! What are your thoughts on the two QBs so far?

Imagine if Garcon hadn't gone down in the 1st qrtr , he was 108 yards & a TD himself as # 1 WR

LucK can p[lay, a better OL , remember save for Wayne & Avery

((( Avery wasnt anything great at all today )))

these are all Rookie receivers

The Saints D is not very good, that's for sure... but I still feel validated by this game. I don't expect this kind of production to be the norm but Griffin proved he can handle the pressure and that his game translates to the next level. This game also confirmed a lot of what I've said about the Redskins' development as a team. The effort all around was solid with the only discernible weakness being the extremely conservative playcalling down the stretch.

Imagine if Garcon hadn't gone down in the 1st qrtr , he was 108 yards & a TD himself as # 1 WR

His backup had 4 receptions for 52 yards and a TD.

The Saints D is not very good, that's for sure... but I still feel validated by this game. I don't expect this kind of production to be the norm but Griffin proved he can handle the pressure and that his game translates to the next level. This game also confirmed a lot of what I've said about the Redskins' development as a team. The effort all around was solid with the only discernible weakness being the extremely conservative playcalling down the stretch.

His backup had 4 receptions for 52 yards and a TD.

True about that, no denying u r right & also about extremely conservative playcalling

except for last pass on a 2nd down for a 1st dwn toi force use of last time out & help run clock

I was watching this game out of the corner of my eye. With most of my attention going to the Colts/bears game. From what I did catch : (1) I overrated the Saints when I thought this would be a 7 win season for them, (2) The Skins offense had a 3:2 ratio of run to pass plays, and (3) Shanahan didn't ask for much out of Bob, but everything that he needed to do he did well.

Yup, a lot of positive signs there - the running game was productive at times and the O-line played pretty well in pass protection. I would like to see Griffin not take quite so many hits when he gets out of the pocket. Still, he threw some strikes with defenders right in his face - the TD to Garcon was great. Kyle Shanahan did a good job getting Griff into a rhythm and doing things he's comfortable with. The front 7 played pretty good too and kept Brees in check for most of the game. Skins surprised me today - I picked the Saints to win because I thought the dome was just going to be too tough of an environment for him to play in given all the circumstances surrounding that Saints team. He had the steepest hill to climb this week of any of the rookie starting QBs, and blew them all away statistically. 139.9 rating.

I still think the Redskins go to the playoffs over the Cowboys, today only made me feel better about that mindset lol.

Yup, I like most teams and players at least a little bit....but I absolutely can't stand the Cowboys. I don't know if I'm going to say playoffs for the skins just yet...lets see how they do once teams get some film on them.

Yup, I like most teams and players at least a little bit....but I absolutely can't stand the Cowboys.

Thats how I feel, I love f good football, & respect all great players, but something has always bugged me about the cowboys, has to do with something from my childhood as has been that long, I am 59

I was watching this game out of the corner of my eye. With most of my attention going to the Colts/bears game. From what I did catch : (1) I overrated the Saints when I thought this would be a 7 win season for them, (2) The Skins offense had a 3:2 ratio of run to pass plays, and (3) Shanahan didn't ask for much out of Bob, but everything that he needed to do he did well.

The ratio was pretty even until later in the 2nd half when the skins went into clock mode. Play calling was good and kept the D off balance.

Yup, I like most teams and players at least a little bit....but I absolutely can't stand the Cowboys. I don't know if I'm going to say playoffs for the skins just yet...lets see how they do once teams get some film on them.

You and I both my friend. I think the Redskins might surprise a lot this year, unless DeMarcus Ware has something to say about it lol.

You and I both my friend. I think the Redskins might surprise a lot this year, unless DeMarcus Ware has something to say about it lol.

heh....yeah I have Ware picked to win DPOY and he's off to a good start. That whole division is going to be tough...lots of good pass rushers. I had the skins finishing somewhere around 7-9 give or take a game. They have the Rams next in St Louis and i'm curious to see if there is a let down. Rams played the Lions close. I didn't watch the game so I don't know how either team looked - if the Rams are that much improved, or if the Lions just played flat. The skins are a very young team compared to when Shanahan/Bruce Allen first took over, and you never know what you're going to get from a young team week to week. Colts are in the same boat.

I'm okay with Griffin taking hits while standing tall in the pocket to complete passes, I am less comfortable with the volume of QB option plays we ran. Some of the plays weren't drawn up very well and we went to it a little too much. The traditional play action game was more effective and less prone to getting Griffin hit.

I'm okay with Griffin taking hits while standing tall in the pocket to complete passes, I am less comfortable with the volume of QB option plays we ran. Some of the plays weren't drawn up very well and we went to it a little too much. The traditional play action game was more effective and less prone to getting Griffin hit.

Yeah those were mainly the hits I was talking about. Love the effort, but he exposed himself a couple times when he didn't need to. Just my opinion.

---I did like seeing him leading Morris down the sideline on a run off the left end trying to block someone. :)

heh....yeah I have Ware picked to win DPOY and he's off to a good start. That whole division is going to be tough...lots of good pass rushers. I had the skins finishing somewhere around 7-9 give or take a game. They have the Rams next in St Louis and i'm curious to see if there is a let down. Rams played the Lions close. I didn't watch the game so I don't know how either team looked - if the Rams are that much improved, or if the Lions just played flat. The skins are a very young team compared to when Shanahan/Bruce Allen first took over, and you never know what you're going to get from a young team week to week. Colts are in the same boat.

Yep. The NFC East will be one of the more intriguing teams to watch this year, but then again, when aren't they? Lol. It's strange how similar the Colts and Redskins could be this year. Both young quarterbacks are going to be seeing a lot of praise while also a fair dose of criticism I'm sure, even if they don't deserve it.

There is a reason it is a long process and not just 1 game. After all, Ryan Leaf played well and won his first 2 games. After that, his career is self explanatory.

Leaf isn't even a comparison -- no where near the red flags he had coming into the league. I think at worst, RG3 becomes a journeyman starter, but his potential is a lot higher than that. But yes it is a long process and one game doesn't tell the whole story. We can see indicators though such as accuracy, which Leaf did not demonstrate in his two wins if you're looking for comparisons.

Leaf isn't even a comparison -- no where near the red flags he had coming into the league. I think at worst, RG3 becomes a journeyman starter, but his potential is a lot higher than that. But yes it is a long process and one game doesn't tell the whole story. We can see indicators though such as accuracy, which Leaf did not demonstrate in his two wins if you're looking for comparisons.

I probably should have specified. I wasn't comparing Leaf to Luck or Griffin, I was just stating why we can't jump the gun after a small sample. It is a very long process and even a handful of games is not a true indicator of success or failure.

I probably should have specified. I wasn't comparing Leaf to Luck or Griffin, I was just stating why we can't jump the gun after a small sample. It is a very long process and even a handful of games is not a true indicator of success or failure.

ah...yeah that I agree with. We can see signs of potential but yes, it could all come crashing down. Still, Leaf is an extreme example :)

RG3 played real well for a rookie and showed qualities similar to what Andy Dalton showed, when backed up with a good running game and D. Dont beat yourself and dont make the big mistake, make plays when you have to and he stuck to it!!!

RG3's O-line can definitely run block, must be something about Shanahan and his zone blocking history!!!

Redskins' D will be tested in the long stretch, and that will ultimately determine how much pressure is applied on RG3.

RG3's O-line can definitely run block, must be something about Shanahan and his zone blocking history!!!

Redskins' D will be tested in the long stretch, and that will ultimately determine how much pressure is applied on RG3.

Funny, I would say that our run blocking is more suspect than our defense. The defense played a nearly flawless game aside from Jimmy Graham proving to be unguardable on more than one occasion (seriously, we could not have had more perfect coverage on his TD play... the man is just a freak) and Madieu Williams making one very poor play in coverage. The run blocking was solid on the whole but Morris had to create yardage out of nothing more often than would be ideal and we didn't do a great job of running out of the shotgun. That unit looked much better when we ran our bread and butter outside zone plays.

typical texan fan...delusional

Way to represent. ;)

Funny, I would say that our run blocking is more suspect than our defense. The defense played a nearly flawless game aside from Jimmy Graham proving to be unguardable on more than one occasion (seriously, we could not have had more perfect coverage on his TD play... the man is just a freak) and Madieu Williams making one very poor play in coverage. The run blocking was solid on the whole but Morris had to create yardage out of nothing more often than would be ideal and we didn't do a great job of running out of the shotgun. That unit looked much better when we ran our bread and butter outside zone plays.

Way to represent. ;)