Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stafford's new record contract in NFL

life long

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes,  I didn't see the thread.  You did,  what was the name of the thread where people were calling an 8-8 season a winning season?

I have seen plenty of threads that have stated Pagano has never had a losing season. Which is correct, he has to be thinking of those comments.

I don't think Stafford is terrible or anything, but it's kind of always shocking to see one of these mid-tier guys like him or Flacco get a new deal and (temporarily) end up being the league's highest paid player. But as we know, it's a moving bar, and just the result of the timing of all of it. At some point Luck's contract is going to look like a bargain based on what lesser QBs are making.

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

I don't think Stafford is terrible or anything, but it's kind of always shocking to see one of these mid-tier guys like him or Flacco get a new deal and (temporarily) end up being the league's highest paid player. But as we know, it's a moving bar, and just the result of the timing of all of it. At some point Luck's contract is going to look like a bargain based on what lesser QBs are making.

Stafford is a more accomplished passer than Flacco was, but Flacco was coming off a great postseason and had all the leverage. Even then, the structure of Flacco's contract was more problematic than the value. 

But yeah, making Stafford the highest paid QB ever is kind of surprising. I expected it, just because it's the nature of the beast, but I don't know why it was necessary. They could have let him play out the season, and used the tag. The only relevant QB contract on the way is Cousins, and no one knows what he's going to do. I don't think Brees is going to reset the market. I think the Lions could have done this exact deal at next year's tag deal deadline, if they wanted.

On 8/30/2017 at 7:17 PM, life long said:

lmao

Seriously, how does a football fan not know what constitutes a winning or losing record? 

P.s.     .500 is not a winning season....:facepalm:

you cant judge one player by the teams record

stafford is a good QB

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

you cant judge one player by the teams record

stafford is a good QB

Find one quote of me saying Stafford is not a good qb. I started the conversation with "good for him". My post was to point out people who said Luck has not accomplished enough to warrant his extension. Yet Carr and Stafford have proven less in their careers , IMO...

4 minutes ago, life long said:

Yet Carr and Stafford have proven less in their careers , IMO...

its debatable, i do think luck is better but not by some huge degree

just curious, what is lucks record against teams with winning records, since thats the argument being used against stafford in this thread  

23 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

just curious, what is lucks record against teams with winning records, since thats the argument being used against stafford in this thread  

I agree it's debatable. Both other Qbs play in tougher divisions. I did say it was my opinion Luck is better, you agree there it seems. IDK that specific stat. I do know luck has a much higher winning percentage. He is the only one of the three to have led the league in a major passing stat. He is the only one to have won one playoff game, actually several. IMO both other Qbs have had more talent around them on both sides of the ball. I know one stat for Luck that the other two can't claim is Luck's immaculate record when the D holds opponents to 20 points. They are both great Qbs for their franchises. Still my main point at the end of my OP was Lucks deal will look like a bargain when he returns to being 100% healthy.

34 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

P.s. the biggest stat that knocks Luck is his record outside the division is not great. Still probably comparable to Carr's and Stafford's, based off of their winning %.

• 1 month later...

Stafford is thrashing the Steelers D right now, who is doing everything right. These throws are dimes through needle holes. And the 3rd and 10 run was no thanks to his LT. It's going to end with their 5th FG of the night, this 1 being from the Goal Line for heck's sake. 

Meanwhile Big Ben is playing worse and worse every week but getting bailed out as much as guys like Stafford and Rivers get left hanging. He just 1 hopped a WR screen and missed a wide open throw in the endzone but got a FG out of it after the next throw resulted in a penalty because he hung the WR out to dry. Then the FG hit the post and went in.

EDIT: Lions didn't even get the FG. What a dumb call.