Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BProland's Last Mock (9 days away)

This will be my last mock draft for the Colts before the 2017 NFL draft. This will be my mock that I believe would best serve the Colts and some of the players are guys that Ballard has shown interest in so some of the picks may happen...

Trades - Indy trades 15th overall pick to Miami for their 22nd, 2nd round picks

- Indy trades 2018 2nd for Cleveland's 3rd round pick

- Indy trades 4th round pick to Green Bay for their 4th, 5th round picks

Round 1 Pick 22 (MIA): Charles Harris, DE/OLB, Missouri
Round 2 Pick 14: Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida
Round 2 Pick 22 (MIA): Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
Round 3 Pick 1 (CLE): Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
Round 3 Pick 16: Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn
Round 4 Pick 27 (G.B.): Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo
Round 4 Pick 30: John Johnson, FS, Boston College
Round 4 Pick 37 (COMP): Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech
Round 5 Pick 14: Joe Mathis, DE, Washington
Round 5 Pick 28 (G.B.): Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State

Analysis - With this draft, Indy gets a great pass rush prospect that Ballard has shown interest in in Charles Harris. Adding Joe Mathis later in the draft even further adds to the future of this Indy pass rush. Jarrad Davis gives Ballard the speed he wants at ILB. Quincy Wilson is a product of the quality CB class that is available this year. He normally would go late 1st/early 2nd in most drafts, but with the quality of CBs available, he could last to this pick. Wilson would give Indy a bigger corner with good ball skills and speed to match up with bigger WRs. Will start opposite Davis day 1. Giving up a 2018 2nd for Sidney Jones would be a great idea in my view since Jones won't play the majority of 2017 anyways, and giving up a future draft pick would be a good value deal since he won't be a starter until 2018 most likely. Jones and Wilson would be a potentially great starting CB duo for the future though. Davis may be on his way out after the 2017 season. Montravious Adams is a DT I really like. He has been compared to Jurrell Casey, who is a very good pass rushing DT for the Titans. Getting a quality DT like Adams who can stop the run and rush the passer would go even further to creating the dominant DL Ballard wants. Langford won't be around forever. Kareem Hunt is another guy the Colts have met with. He would give Indy a good pass catching option out of the backfield and could take over the starting role by the end of the season. John Johnson is a good prospect at FS who can cover ground well and has played CB before. Ballard has also shown interest in him. This pick is made in case TJ Green doesn't work out. Bucky Hodges is a talented TE that just needs some work on consistency with his hands for the most part. Ballard would be wise to take advantage of this elite TE class. Mathis is another good prospect that would give Indy another option alongside Sheard, Harris, and Simon in the rotation. Kazee is strictly a nickel corner which is needed since Butler is now focusing on FS.

The only position that still possibly lacks is RG. This could be solved by bringing in another veteran after the draft. This OL is so young that that might be the better option anyhow.

I like Harris, he's fun to watch and a better scheme fit than say Derek Barnett. Apparently there are teams out there that see him as a top 10 player so if he makes it to #22 then he's a great pick.

I'll be very surprised if Davis isn't a first day pick. He had a tremendous pro day and even by pro day standards put up some very nice numbers. Also has some great tape. I think he starts getting looks around the early 20's and is gone by the late 20's.

Quincy is going to be a career CB#2 talent wise. His coverage is a bit technique-lacking, and he doesn't have athletics to make up for that lack of technique. Although he is a game tackler in run support, so he might be just the sort of CB we want on the strong side of the line. If we also got Sidney Jones, who is a future no.1, then I'm okay with that pick.   

I'm not really in favour in general of trading away future high picks. The exception is trading up for a top prospect. Sidney qualifies as a top prospect. I'm not sure he'll be there but if he's there, you do what it takes to get him.

The rest are decent picks if they are there.

Pretty good overall, good effort.

I figured I would look at Charles Harris and my personal favorite edge rusher, Jordan Willis, and Willis had better stats in every matching category. Hard to believe, but I'll put it in this reply:

Test                          Harris         Willis

Bench(reps)                21              24

Vertical(in)                 32.0           39.0

20 yard shuttle(sec)  4.42           4.28

Broad Jump(in)        109.0        125.0

3-cone drill(sec)        7.47          6.85

40 yd dash(sec)        4.82          4.53

Harris is also 1 inch shorter and 2lbs lighter. Willis has bigger arms and hands. So I have a question now: would you take Willis over Harris based on this, or do other factors come into play?  What keeps you from picking one over the other?  I don't think either had off-the-field issues, and both went to NCAA schools, Charles Harris and Jordan Willis to Missouri and Kansas State respectively.

Also, Harris is a projected 1st rounder while Willis is a projected 2nd rounder.

Edited by ColtsBlitz
Forgot to mention projected round to be picked

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Also on my Willis-Harris debate: After watching more film on Willis, it his clear he is more of a stride runner, while Harris has quicker feet... important difference.  I'm still watching Voch Lombardi's film breakdown of Willis

At his pro day Harris improved all his numbers. They're still not quite what Willis put up, but they're closer.

Vert: 37.5

Broad: 118 in

3-Cone: 7.05

I was actually stunned at how well Willis tested because he didn't look that explosive to me on tape. Those are elite measurables for an edge rusher.

14 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I was actually stunned at how well Willis tested because he didn't look that explosive to me on tape. Those are elite measurables for an edge rusher.

I know what you mean. It's because of his long strides. I watched Harris afterwards and thought, "this guy looks so much quicker" then I started thinking about stride. If the Colts drafted Willis, I would want him to work on his agility and quick movement since he doesn't have that quickness in his game like Harris. Willis has pretty good explosiveness off the ball, but it isn't consistent. I would be happy with either, but tbh, I want Conley in round 1.