Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Ramczyk (OT) w/ 15th overall pick

2 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

There are for sure some busts, but I did read some researched data that showed drafting an OL in the 1st had the highest success rate of becoming a starter or going to a pro bowl out of any position. If I remember correctly DE, RB, and QB had the highest bust rates.

That is pretty interesting.  I have never really thought of it like that.  I can definitely see that as being true though.  What article was it...just purely out of curiosity? 

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

That is pretty interesting.  I have never really thought of it like that.  I can definitely see that as being true though.  What article was it...just purely out of curiosity? 

It might have been multiple articles but they all showed pretty much the same thing. I'll look and let you know if I find it.

38 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2441018-which-positions-are-the-safest-riskiest-at-the-top-of-the-nfl-draft.amp.html

here is a very interesting and in depth article that shows 1st round bust rates, all pro rated, and pro bowl rates over a 10 and 25 year period. It shows OL is among the safest in the 1st round while RB is the riskiest (see bust rate). There's a lot of interesting stuff in here. Hope it helps.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I will never be upset with any GM who doing everything he can to protect Andrew Luck. 

A healthy Luck with time to scan the field equals Colts wins. 

I would't be upset if we drafted a top OL in the first round of every draft. 

Especially considering all the abuse he's already taken and the fact he's currently recovering from surgery.  

Honestly, if you want to keep this job long term, probably the smartest thing a GM could do would be to build the O-line first and worry about everything else later.  As long as Luck has time, is healthy and upright, and you can run the ball, you're not getting fired from this job.  If you, however, lose Luck to another in season surgery, a chronic injury, etc., it goes downhill overnight.  

Zeitler was the first player Ballard was rumored to be interested in, right?

1 hour ago, Manning1887 said:

I would rather trade back in that instance

I just ran a mock where I traded back with Tampa and it worked out very well:

Trades:
(19, 84, 237) from TAM for (15)

Picks:
Rd 1   Pk  19 - Forrest Lamp (G) Western Kentucky
Rd 2   Pk  46 - T.J. Watt (OLB 3/4) Wisconsin
Rd 3   Pk  80 - Adoree' Jackson (CB) Southern California
Rd 3   Pk  84 - George Kittle (TE) Iowa
Rd 4   Pk 122 - Samaje Perine (RB) Oklahoma
Rd 4   Pk 137 - Erik Magnuson (OT) Michigan
Rd 4   Pk 144 - Shaquill Griffin (CB) Central Florida
Rd 5   Pk 158 - Rayshawn Jenkins (FS) Miami (Fla.)
Rd 7   Pk 237 - DeAngelo Brown (NT) Louisville

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:12 AM, akcolt said:

I think it depends on who you draft and when. Everyone OL pick in the draft is going to be a wasted pick?  That's not an accurate statement.  The running game should not be as big a concern as pass protection. We can't let Luck keep getting beat up. Don't be surprised in we waste a pick maybe a guy like Dawkins or Moton. 

You think the top S's will be gone by the 2nd?  I think you will find good value on the back end in to day 3.  The pass rushers are going to push other positions down. 

know am a little late to respond...will not disagree that we could use an improvement on our offensive line but do not think this is the draft year to do it.  Next year's draft class will have much better options in the first few rounds over this year's 2017 draft class.   Main focus for our Colts and most teams will be to exploit the strength of the defensive draft class this year has to offer. 

I would much rather see us select defensive backs and improve our defense this year early in the draft and next offseason and 2018 draft see about making upgrades to our offensive line.

On 3/29/2017 at 2:37 PM, BlueShoe said:

I just ran a mock where I traded back with Tampa and it worked out very well:

Trades:
(19, 84, 237) from TAM for (15)

Picks:
Rd 1   Pk  19 - Forrest Lamp (G) Western Kentucky
Rd 2   Pk  46 - T.J. Watt (OLB 3/4) Wisconsin
Rd 3   Pk  80 - Adoree' Jackson (CB) Southern California
Rd 3   Pk  84 - George Kittle (TE) Iowa
Rd 4   Pk 122 - Samaje Perine (RB) Oklahoma
Rd 4   Pk 137 - Erik Magnuson (OT) Michigan
Rd 4   Pk 144 - Shaquill Griffin (CB) Central Florida
Rd 5   Pk 158 - Rayshawn Jenkins (FS) Miami (Fla.)
Rd 7   Pk 237 - DeAngelo Brown (NT) Louisville

If we get Watt and he got a sack in Huston, would they play the "Turn down for Watt" music? I've seriously been wondering about this...to much time in the off season 

On 3/27/2017 at 4:45 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Hey.....     I was one of those so-called experts.      And clearly was wrong!

I never thought Frederick was worthy of a 1st round pick,  and I thought Dallas didn't get enough for trading down as far as they did.       I think they traded back roughly 12 spots and should've gotten a 2,  and they got a 3.

Would Frederick have been available in the 2nd round?      Maybe.

But Jones' decision has been justified many times over.     Frederick is the real deal and proven worthy of the pick.

Now,  Colts' fans have to hope that Kelly turns out to be just as good.....    if so,  our line will be dramatically better.

Im pretty sure he wasn't including any forum members when he mentioned "experts"

10 hours ago, James Ducheteau said:

If we get Watt and he got a sack in Huston, would they play the "Turn down for Watt" music? I've seriously been wondering about this...to much time in the off season 

Doubtful,  would be funny if the colts did it in a home game against the Texans though