Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning - Backup Qb?

oldunclemark

The whole scenario is so we dont cut him and he stays and works with Luck...

You can call it 3rd string..tou can call it QB coach...you can call it 'backup' for the sake of artguing..

It comes down to Manning mentoring Luck (remember Manning said a QB should startg from day one)

..or kicking Manning out and not letting Luck get the benefit of his years...

You seem offended at the term 'backup' but that was just to draw you into the thread...

Irsay wants Manning and Luck..//How would you do it?

You don't give a 3rd string QB a 28 million option bonus and pay cap hits of 17,18,19,20 million dollars...

People should be offended by the term "Back up" Quarterback.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't give a 3rd string QB a 28 million option bonus and pay cap hits of 17,18,19,20 million dollars...

People should be offended by the term "Back up" Quarterback.

FJC....I misspkoke..of course we'd cut him as I said earlier in the thread...

I dont wnat to lose him and his experience and teaching iof Luck comes on board...

I want him to stay on even if he cant play this year

FJC....I misspkoke..of course we'd cut him as I said earlier in the thread...

I dont wnat to lose him and his experience and teaching iof Luck comes on board...

I want him to stay on even if he cant play this year

If that is the goal, then hire him as QB coach(those don't count against the cap).

I don't see it happening, because I don't see him giving up on returning that quickly. I just finished listening to Mortensen on Mike & Mike talking about how he's still working out, and reading an interview with his brother Cooper about how he's going to do anything he can to return. I don't think he's going to limit that to March 8th. March 8th will come and go, and the Colts will release him. If his health returns the Colts might attempt to resign him, and he might sign with someone else. I just don't see him giving up his quest to return this early.

If that is the goal, then hire him as QB coach(those don't count against the cap).

I don't see it happening, because I don't see him giving up on returning that quickly. I just finished listening to Mortensen on Mike & Mike talking about how he's still working out, and reading an interview with his brother Cooper about how he's going to do anything he can to return. I don't think he's going to limit that to March 8th. March 8th will come and go, and the Colts will release him. If his health returns the Colts might attempt to resign him, and he might sign with someone else. I just don't see him giving up his quest to return this early.

FJC..

There's something I did not know.....

WE cut him and make him a coach and we have NO CAP obligations...Is that true?

FJC..

There's something I did not know.....

WE cut him and make him a coach and we have NO CAP obligations...Is that true?

He will still count the 10.4 against the cap of accelerated cap space. That cannot be avoided at all. Period. That is the lowest figure he can account for in 2012.

If he were cut and paid 500k as QB coach, that 500k would be simply paid to him like it was Ron Turner last year. Coaches do not count against the salary cap.

He will still count the 10.4 against the cap of accelerated cap space. That cannot be avoided at all. Period. That is the lowest figure he can account for in 2012.

If he were cut and paid 500k as QB coach, that 500k would be simply paid to him like it was Ron Turner last year. Coaches do not count against the salary cap.

This might be the way to go.

That goes back to the point that in all likelihood he will not be willing to give up on his own quest of returning to the field at that point in time.

True..but would making him a 'QB coach' allow him to school Luck and continue his rehab at the Colts facility...and not give up his quest to play.??

then.... in 2103...He and the Colts would have no financial or play obligation to each other..

..and the need for Manning's tutor talent would have diminished if Andrew Luck is up and running...then Manning heads to Tennessee or someplace..

..Luck faces no ("He pushed Peyton out") backlash...Manning moves on with Irsay's blessing (he saved some cash on the deal) and the fans dont miss him because Luck has, in 16 games in 2012, become one of their own...

How's this one potential future...look?

True..but would making him a 'QB coach' allow him to school Luck and continue his rehab at the Colts facility...and not give up his quest to play.??

then.... in 2103...He and the Colts would have no financial or play obligation to each other..

..and the need for Manning's tutor talent would have diminished if Andrew Luck is up and running...then Manning heads to Tennessee or someplace..

..Luck faces no ("He pushed Peyton out") backlash...Manning moves on with Irsay's blessing (he saved some cash on the deal) and the fans dont miss him because Luck has, in 16 games in 2012, become one of their own...

He would have to want to be a QB coach.

It would have to come with an agreement that he could void the QB coach contract at any point so that he could resume his career, whether with the Colts or any other team.

I don't see it happening.

Manning has the funds to hire any trainer/therapist he so chooses.. I'm pretty sure he could train at the University of Tennessee, or Duke University if he wanted to and work out with their players as he has at points in the past.

I just don't see him becoming a QB coach this year. If he's released I see him working out on his own, at UT, or DU, and if and when he feels he's ready. He and Condon will let the Colts and the rest of the NFL know.

If he doesn't reach that point he will announce his retirement.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but yeah.

Mark, please stop.

Manning isn't going to be our QB coach. He's not going to be our backup QB. He's not going to sign for vetern minimum. Nothing we can do is going to keep some fans from resenting Luck.

..Its one potential outcome....Jaric....you'll be okay with it

I would guess that we all have equal ability to predict the future..

..and if the $10.4 mil hit happens anyway..as FJC says....Manning obviously lives in Indy..has a new family...

////Its not about Luck..its about Manning..what would you do?

..and if the $10.4 mil hit happens anyway..as FJC says....Manning obviously lives in Indy..has a new family...

One potential outcome is for Manning to retire and declare he's running for President, but that doesn't mean it has a high % of it happening.

The amount of "potential outcomes" that are unrealistic will approach infinity.

Mark, he's not going to resign for veteren minimum. He's not going to be our backup quarterback.

You have to let that go.

One potential outcome is for Manning to retire and declare he's running for President, but that doesn't mean it has a high % of it happening.

The amount of "potential outcomes" that are unrealistic will approach infinity.

Speculation gets old....and none of us here have predicted the future very well.

But hey, its a message board...

Who's to say with certainty what will happen?

Mark, he's not going to resign for veteren minimum. He's not going to be our backup quarterback.

You have to let that go.

FJC said it was possible to hire him as a coach and it doenst count against the cap..above the 10.4 we've committe dunder and scenario.

You dont want Peyton Manning as your QB coach with Andrew Luck a toiur starting QB..?

If thats the scenario...What would be wrong with that?

There are a few things I can tell you with certainity will not happen.

Peyton Manning isn't going to re-sign for veteren minimum. Peyton Manning is not going to sign on to be our back up quarterback.

You have to let that go.

QB coach or some other staff position isn't that unlikely though, more likely than a back up or resign for vet minimum. It just depends if Manning wants to remain in football in a lesser compacity.

Im not saying its likely either, its just realistic.

Speculation gets old....and none of us here have predicted the future very well.

But hey, its a message board...

It's really getting sad on here to see people grasping for straws and making fantasies up to try and hold onto to manning. He will NOT be a 3rd stringer or qb coach this year. If we release we r cutting ties with him, no resigning later, we r moving in a new direction. I understand people have grown to love Peyton but it will be a lot easier if you come to grips with the idea pm might not ever play for the colts again. Polian gone, Caldwell, CC demoted and so on. Like Grigson and Irsay have said a million times,just like 1998 the colts r moving in a NEW direction.

What's your inside on that? You sound like you have an 'in'

It's called commonsense.

FJC said it was possible to hire him as a coach and it doenst count against the cap..above the 10.4 we've committe dunder and scenario.

You dont want Peyton Manning as your QB coach with Andrew Luck a toiur starting QB..?

It's possible to hire him the official cheerleading uniform inspector, it doesn't mean it is likely to happen.

What makes you think he even wants to be a coach? That's sort of a big part of the equation don't you think? Has he ever expressed any desire to do so? Or are we just assuming because he's really football smart and can't play anymore he'll obviously want to just coach?

Besides, just because we cut him doesn't mean he's going to retire. If he thinks he can be ready by the time the season starts, why would he sign on to be a coach here? Just because? But lets say he accepts it's over and retires. What evidence do you have that he'd rather spend his waking hours constantly reminded of what he can't do rather than spend time with his wife and new born twins?

It's wishful thinking Mark. Nothing more.

It's really getting sad on here to see people grasping for straws and making fantasies up to try and hold onto to manning. He will NOT be a 3rd stringer or qb coach this year. If we release we r cutting ties with him, no resigning later, we r moving in a new direction. I understand people have grown to love Peyton but it will a lot easier if your come to grips with the idea pm might not ever play for the colts again. Polian gone, Caldwell, CC demoted and so on. Like Grigson and Irsay have said a million times,just like 1998 the colts r moving in a NEW direction.

MP.....there's no hurry to cut a guy who is a proven leader..

...He can lead in a non-playing scenario...

I'm not into starting over..will no ties to the past..

....That's a dark road

Even I have said some harsh stuff about Manning but I find it insulting to even think about having him as a 3rd string quarterback. It would be a slap in the face. Now a QB coach (down the road) or something I understand but you don't make a HOF and one of the best to ever play a 3rd stringer no matter what.

MP.....there's no hurry to cut a guy who is a proven leader..

This might be a valid point if we weren't on the hook for another 80 or so million dollars in a few weeks if we don't cut him.

Now, if he's healthy, this is a different story. But I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

Even I have said some harsh stuff about Manning but I find it insulting to even think about having him as a 3rd string quarterback. It would be a slap in the face. Now a QB coach or something I understand but you don't make a HOF and one of the best to ever play a 3rd stringer no matter what.

Call it what you want, Andrew...

QB coach....Okay by me....

I think Manning has a lot to add to your rookie season...and his precense...keeps the fan backlash off you

It's really getting sad on here to see people grasping for straws and making fantasies up to try and hold onto to manning. He will NOT be a 3rd stringer or qb coach this year. If we release we r cutting ties with him, no resigning later, we r moving in a new direction. I understand people have grown to love Peyton but it will be a lot easier if you come to grips with the idea pm might not ever play for the colts again. Polian gone, Caldwell, CC demoted and so on. Like Grigson and Irsay have said a million times,just like 1998 the colts r moving in a NEW direction.

why is it sad, MP...its football.

He'l be fine whether he plays or not..

For the good of the Colts.....It would help us if he's still around./

Agreed?

I juts wonder how you're so certain as to what will happen...if you're not on the inside..

That's all../..

What would you like to see happen.?

Because Peyton Manning isn't going to sign a veteren minimum contract to be our 3rd string quarterback. I've never thrown a football more than 15 yards, and the odds are better that I will sign a veteren minimum contract to be the Colts 3rd string quarterback than Peyton Manning is.

It's not happening. It's not happening It's not happening.

I juts wonder how you're so certain as to what will happen...if you're not on the inside..

That's all../..

What would you like to see happen.?

Call it a gut feeling, call it commonsense... call it whatever you want. I'm not Cooper Manning, I don't have any inside information, it's just that I don't see him giving up his quest to tutor/hold the hand/babysit his replacement.

My opinion of what I would like to see happen doesn't matter. That hasn't happened or won't happen.