Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Luck should attempt to learn from MH.

Lawrence Owen

Luck overall is strides over Matt. No argument there.

But there is one thing Luck should atleast TRY to do while he has him on the team and has the opportunity.

With the O-line problems, It is very evident the Matt's quick release saved him from many hits.  

Yes, he was sacked twice, and hurried a couple times, but that release he has allowed him to be rid of the ball the instant he made a decision.  Which kept him from be hit overall A LOT less than Luck generally does.

I know the release  is a personal thing, And it is incredibly tough to relearn throwing mechanics, but if Luck can do it, it would make him that much more dangerous.

But there is one thing Luck should atleast TRY to do while he has him on the team and has the opportunity.

With the O-line problems, It is very evident the Matt's quick release saved him from many hits.  

Yes, he was sacked twice, and hurried a couple times, but that release he has allowed him to be rid of the ball the instant he made a decision.  Which kept him from be hit overall A LOT less than Luck generally does.

I know the release  is a personal thing, And it is incredibly tough to relearn throwing mechanics, but if Luck can do it, it would make him that much more dangerous.

I agree with Lucks slower release but I don't know at this stage if his body size and bulk would allow him to make those types of adjustments. More work in the timing patters would make things easier. That should come with time and practice with a group of receivers more than a season or two together.

Yeah, i agree, Luck should quicken his release. Many QBs have fine tuned their mechanics to do this, and it is something that can be changed. 

Also, I didn't see Matt make too many stupid throws at all, if anything he missed some that could've led to more points.

30/47 282YDS and 0INTs! It's not trigonometry Andrew! Although, no offense Pags, I never really found trig that hard  haha

Andrew doesn't need to change his throwing motion/release. He just needs to learn to throw the ball away, punt when necessary, and lean on an improving defense when the drive stalls.

Sure he can improve upon his talent, but to change his throwin style is overboard and risks complicating things more.

Just get rid of the ball like Matt did. Its not rocket science. I should know, the aeronatucal engineering degree makes me one. haha

Matthew did a nice job of getting the ball to Coby Fleener. Hasselbeck understands the usefulness of getting TE's involved early & often. In other words, he doesn't lock in on TY Hilton all the time. Nice. 

Frank Gore. Please stop fumbling the ball just as we are about to score. It's beginning to tick me off & really concern me man. 

God bless Jaguar FG kickers! 3 misses was so awesome. LOL! Okay Blake Bortles played a very good game. I won't lie. Robert Mathis had a beautiful sack too. 

I was so happy today. The Giants won, INDY won, Denver won, & Dallas lost in overtime to Drew Brees & CJ Spiller. Sweet! I love seeing HOF WR Michael Irvin depressed. It's fantastic! 

Just a shout out to my friend NFLfan...I was very impressed with QB Bridgewater today who kept his composure, never threw in the towel, & gave the Broncos defense a run for their money. 

I was rooting for #18 & Denver, but I must admit that AP & Norv Turner came prepared to play in Colorado today. Not any easy stadium to win in. 

Yeah, I know Michael Irving said he was fine, but trust me when the Cowboys lose he pouts like a baby & he tends to sulk. Fine by me man. I hate when he gets over the top & flamboyant whenever his former club wins. It almost makes up for when you & Prime Time slam Eli or Peyton when they don't get a victory. JMO. I live for when the Cowboys collapse. It's spectacular! Alright, I'm done with my rant now. 

Matthew did a nice job of getting the ball to Coby Fleener. Hasselbeck understands the usefulness of getting TE's involved early & often. In other words, he doesn't lock in on TY Hilton all the time. Nice. 

Frank Gore. Please stop fumbling the ball just as we are about to score. It's beginning to tick me off & really concern me man. 

God bless Jaguar FG kickers! 3 misses was so awesome. LOL! Okay Blake Bortles played a very good game. I won't lie. Robert Mathis had a beautiful sack too. 

I was so happy today. The Giants won, INDY won, Denver won, & Dallas lost in overtime to Drew Brees & CJ Spiller. Sweet! I love seeing HOF WR Michael Irvin depressed. It's fantastic! 

Just a shout out to my friend NFLfan...I was very impressed with QB Bridgewater today who kept his composure, never threw in the towel, & gave the Broncos defense a run for their money. 

I was rooting for #18 & Denver, but I must admit that AP & Norv Turner came prepared to play in Colorado today. Not any easy stadium to win in. 

Any win is a great win. I wouldn't be overly joyed about this but we didn't have Andrew so I am. Bottom line is we are 2-2 and now it's a new season basically. Time to get better.

Andrew doesn't need to change his throwing motion/release. He just needs to learn to throw the ball away, punt when necessary, and lean on an improving defense when the drive stalls.

Sure he can improve upon his talent, but to change his throwin style is overboard and risks complicating things more.

Just get rid of the ball like Matt did. Its not rocket science. I should know, the aeronatucal engineering degree makes me one. haha

Nice post WM. Good advice. Your last line was funny too. 

Any win is a great win. I wouldn't be overly joyed about this but we didn't have Andrew so I am. Bottom line is we are 2-2 and now it's a new season basically. Time to get better.

True 06CBE, but look at the bright side, INDY looks SB bound next to Chip Kelly & the disaster that is the Philadelphia Eagles. We have work to do sure, but at least we don't look abysmal after only 4 weeks. 

I don't think lucks release is that slow tbh. Is it any slower than league average?

Luck has a 'round-up' release. Meaning he use's his shoulder to get more power into his throws. As opposed to MH's or Rivers trigger release, where they use more just elbow and wrist.  

The round-up release has more power and can be more accurate, but when you do short, quick passes, a trigger is more effective.

True 06CBE, but look at the bright side, INDY looks SB bound next to Chip Kelly & the disaster that is the Philadelphia Eagles. We have work to do sure, but at least we don't look abysmal after only 4 weeks. 

The way this season has gone so far and with Andrew missing a game, I'll take 2-2. Like you said look at the Eagles and even teams like the Ravens, Chiefs, Texans, and Dolphins. It could be much worse. If we win Thursday all will be good leading up to the Pats game. We need to get healthy though and just continue to improve. People can say we got lucky yesterday but the Jags got lucky in reality because Andrew didn't play and Gore fumbled down by the goaline. If Gore doesn't fumble we go up 20-13 and it doesn't even come down to the miss FG's and sweating this out.

If you ever watched Matt;s career, its not about the quick release its more about quick reads and timing routes. He always reads the defense before the play and will throw quick timing route passes. There were ample times during the game where he did hold on to the ball much longer than usual. Matt just knows to take what the defense is giving him. If you watched the game you probably noticed he threw to the check down ALOT and several times those plays went for pretty good yardage.