Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reality Check

Farns01

I too have the Colts blue colored glasses on and have high expectations for Luck's first year. Our starters look competitive and will do us proud, but I am concerned about the backups. Over the course of the season the injuries will take it's toll and I blame Polian for leaving the cupboard so bare. Which why the complete collapse last year. It's easy to understand why the Executive side of the house says 3-4 years to get back to prominance. We'll need that to acquire quality backups.

We will see how this season goes and make the relevant moves in the offseason in the draft and free agency. If we have about $40 plus million in dead cap space coming off the books, we are probably going to spend $30 mil. of that since a team has to have something like 89% of the salary cap spent or something like that (maybe it is when the season starts, someone can verify the rules on that).

I do think quality level backups will be added after the next offseason. Besides, several teams face the same thing we face - cutting down from 90 to 53 and there are going to be some good players available to help us during this season, I am positive long term over the next 2 years.

We will be serious contenders for the division in year 2 of Luck. Year 1, just go with the flow wherever it takes us. We are yet to play a good passing offense in pre-season to expose our secondary, we will find out vs Packers, Pats and Lions, wont we, in the season? :)

It's not just the backups, there are some starting roles that aren't fully cemented yet. I'm not saying the players we have are bad, but the team has plenty of holes. It will take time to fill all those up with capable players. The good thing is many of the important positions for our team have someone there, like QB, RB, OLB, etc.

I feel like going forward we need:

Right Guard and Right Tackle Help.

A second cornerback

A true starting 3/4 DT

A future number one WR. I like the young guys but I don't really think any of them are going to be a future number one WR. It would not shock me at all if this is the first round pick next year.

I feel like going forward we need:

Right Guard and Right Tackle Help. Agreed and Agreed

A second cornerback Agreed

A true starting 3/4 D I Would like to see what Chapman does post injury but still need some depth here.

A future number one WR. I like the young guys but I don't really think any of them are going to be a future number one WR. It would not shock me at all if this is the first round pick next year.That would be a big call after the offense heavy draft this year, I think it depends very much on what pick we get and maybe BPA. If we were to draft a WR what would you be looking at, a out and out deep threat?