Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positives and negatives from Steelers game

chad72

POSITIVES

Offense

1. Luck's poise and resiliency at QB position to overcome a rocky start
  2. Lot of motions and formations to keep LBs honest
  3. O-line protection much improved. Olsen did much better than McGlynn of the previous game. :)
  4. Ballard's running. I feel he would do just as well as Delone Carter in short yardage when given the chance
  5. Both TEs were involved in blocking and receiving plays, Whalen's route running vs 2nd and 3rd stringers was good to watch

Defense

1. Aggressive mentality that takes it to the opposition instead of sitting back and hoping for a mistake
  2. OLBs in Hughes and Addison played very well and when you force a 3rd and long, you can actually play a Cover 2 for a change if you tackle hard after a short dink. :)
  3. Safety blitzes

Special teams

1. The only thing special was no blunders in coverage and an almost blocked FG

NEGATIVES

Offense

1. Injury to Collie
  2. Breakdown in concentration on the TY play that resulted in 2nd INT, need to cut down those mistakes

Defense

1. Antonio Brown screen play, Bethea had 2 chances to take a good angle and tackle, he did not. Our entire set of DBs could not avoid blocks to even get him down.
  2. Run D still not as stout as you want it to be
  3. Zbikowski weak in run support, not the long term answer, IMO
  4. Teams with multiple WRs can still find enough holes in our secondary. Maybe our pressure can help out the secondary. In this game, I thought it did.

Special teams

1. Ravens were ranked 30th in ST though Marwan Maalouf was assistant to the ST co-ordinator who is still with the Ravens; they gave up ample returns last year for TDs. Hester will be our biggest test right out of the blocks at the Bears.
  2. Terrible job assigning Jeremy Ross to block an LB with that blocked punt.

I didn't like the play calling for Lucks 2nd touchdown at the goalline. It was the perfect time to utilize Fleener's height, but instead they called the play for Brazill, I think.

Yeah I questioned the floater to Brazill in the corner. Fleener or Allen would've been a better option. I also question the Ballard over the top (identical play that we ran last week vs Rams). The Steelers are too good of a D to allow that to happen. Luck was very fortunate to get the slide to go his way. It should have been a turnover on downs...although that does make up for the awful spot that they gave us.

Yeah I questioned the floater to Brazill in the corner. Fleener or Allen would've been a better option. I also question the Ballard over the top (identical play that we ran last week vs Rams). The Steelers are too good of a D to allow that to happen. Luck was very fortunate to get the slide to go his way. It should have been a turnover on downs...although that does make up for the awful spot that they gave us.

the O-line's got to get a push for Ballard.....to leap....I want the HB leap at the goal line...

Our O-line was OK..but we were stuffed a few times

On Luck's TD, he needs to pick that ball....That's an option....

Pre-seasonplay-calling has a differnt dynamic than regular season so I'd hesitate to criticze play calls.

we may simply have been experimenting...

..but we are MUCH LESS PREDICTABLE (Capitalizing for emphasis) on both offense and defense.

i almost wish we didnt have to play the last 2 pre-season games..lets start now

I didn't like the play calling for Lucks 2nd touchdown at the goalline. It was the perfect time to utilize Fleener's height, but instead they called the play for Brazill, I think.

Agreed. Allen could use his Wide-Body frame to box out the CB and make the catch.

And Fleener could've just reached up to make it look like a PG tryna get a rebound over a Center in Basketball lol

The floater was to TY. Even worse than to Brazill.

You know...I'm gonna say this (type this)...and I grudgingly say we're stuck with him...but I'm not sold on Arians. I'm of the "opinion" that if this thing works, it'll be more the result of talent than scheme.

Arians strikes me as unreasonably cocky. And from what I've seen so far, too cute.

Time will tell. Until then, he's suspect.

You know...I'm gonna say this (type this)...and I grudgingly say we're stuck with him...but I'm not sold on Arians. I'm of the "opinion" that if this thing works, it'll be more the result of talent than scheme.

Arians strikes me as unreasonably cocky. And from what I've seen so far, too cute.

It's preseason. Time to try exotic packages and weird plays. Not concerned.

Really? I think he's playing to our Strengths. We have a mixture of Speed, Power, & just greatness (Wayne lol) on the Field. Everyone on the Offense seems to like it. And Wayne moving around so much, causes Mis-Matches. And I must say, I enjoyed watching Reggie tussle with that LB when he was blocking lol

You know, I'm back and forth with him as well. I too think at times he likes to be cute and show off his playbook too much. He's already shown a lot of what we plan to do on offense in just 2 pre-season games. When I saw the Luck, goal line option run, I just rolled my eyes.

50 secs in:

Arians showing a lot of formations is just a miniscule portion of the massive playbook. Heck, if anything, Peyton and the Colts offense for years showed with a dozen base play formations to start off with, they could run hundreds of tweaks of those from a quarter to quarter basis and out execute the opposition.

I am not a bit worried about that. As long as Arians is COACHING Luck, that is the most important thing for Luck.

There are no negatives from either game so far.

No team will ever come out and execute perfect for the entire game.

This team needs to make mistakes. We are so young roster and coaching wise that these mistakes will help everyone grow.

That's gonna be the quickest way for the Colts to turn the corner. Make the mistakes, but never make them again.