Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GOOD NEWS, NO COLTS make Pro Football Focus Top 51 Free Agents

bayone

The Good News is that this may signal our free agents we want back will not be targeted by other teams to any great extent

Here Are The top 10, Read article for rest

1. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB

The unquestionable top guy in free agency, Asomugha is so good teams just don’t throw his way. Either that or they’re scared of his reputation. In any case, whichever team picks him up is getting a cornerback who will give opposing offensive co-ordinators massive headaches.

2. Charles Johnson, DE

It was near impossible to choose between No.’s 2 and 3, but ultimately, you have to look at the year Johnson just had and marvel. It was the kind of elite season very few defensive ends put together, and yet hardly anyone is talking about it. Top level talent.

3. Ray Edwards, DE

He’s got more longevity to his career, but he’s never had that kind of standout season to make the mouth water. No shame in being a top ten defensive end in this league though and Edwards is certainly that.

4. Santonio Holmes, WR

You look at some of the big plays from Holmes and then look past some of the off field problems, and what you’re left with is a receiver you can rely on. Since that Super Bowl catch, he has taken his game to a new, more consistent level.

5. Sidney Rice, WR

Rice may have more upside than Holmes, but the lack of playing time and injuries hurt his stock. Not by much though, with his 2009 being so good for more than the numbers he put up. Makes his quarterback better.

6. Quintin Mikell, S

In an era were safeties are either overrated or living off highlight reel, Mikell is refreshing. As good in coverage as he is coming up to help in run support, he just always seems to perform well. Given his age and his reputation, he’ll represent tremendous value for any number of teams trying to upgrade at safety.

7. Aubrayo Franklin, DT

If you want a nose tackle to get after the quarterback, this man isn’t your guy. If you want one to stuff the run then look no further. Franklin eats up blocks and still does a good job getting to the ball carrier. Excellent two down player.

8. Ahmad Bradshaw, RB

With less wear on his tires than others, Bradshaw should be an attractive option for teams that think they can cure his fumbling problems. Bradshaw runs well and picks up yards after contact, but could also help a team as a third down back who is exceptional in blitz pick up situations.

9. Brandon Mebane, DT

Mebane exploded into the minds of most with a tremendous 2008, and while he’s never quite captured that again he has rounded out his game to be the kind of every down DT teams love. Shocking that the Seahawks were prepared to let him go.

10. Jared Gaither, OT

Perhaps slightly high given the risks, but the league is in short supply of good left tackles. More than that, Gaither isn’t just good – he’s extremely talented and with age on his side. Not enough franchise left tackles hit the market.

My link

That's good news. I hope we keep most of our free agents. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Vinatieri a free agent? if that's the case i'm surprised he's not on the list. A lot of people are talking about bringing in Mebane but I dunno if that will happen now that I see how highly regarded he is throughout the league. I would not mind Manning at safety either, but you can never expect much from the Colts in terms of free-agency. Or at least that has been a consistent trend for a while. Maybe that will change this year?

That's good news. I hope we keep most of our free agents. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Vinatieri a free agent? if that's the case i'm surprised he's not on the list. A lot of people are talking about bringing in Mebane but I dunno if that will happen now that I see how highly regarded he is throughout the league. I would not mind Manning at safety either, but you can never expect much from the Colts in terms of free-agency. Or at least that has been a consistent trend for a while. Maybe that will change this year?

Yes he is, maybe its due to his age or they don't consider a FG kicker that doesnt even kickoff as top 51

Re Mebane

YOU SAY I see how highly regarded he is throughout the league.

REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY 1 sites opinion

I really don't think any front office is going to target players because they are in the Top xx on any webpage, newspaper or TV show. I'm pretty sure they work to their own opinions. I get the drift of the post though....

Thats a definite, especially with the colts

Is it good news that none of the Colts FA's make this list? To me, I just see that as the Colts FA's aren't as talented as these guys. While it's good that we won't lose anyone who is vital to our team like Manning, Freeney or Brackett, I would still be happy to see a Colt or two on this list.

Bar a few obvious names, it's unlikely we would see many more in this list, no matter the year. Which makes me wonder why people rate Polian so highly.

Just because we don't go after free agents, doesn't mean Polian is not a good GM. He had success in the CFL, he had success in Buffalo taking them to 4 straight Super Bowls, he found success in Carolina taking them to a Super Bowl, he has found plenty of success in Indy taking us to a Super Bowl and setting many many records along the way. He is a solid drafter and is awesome at finding late rounds/undrafted gems (Bethea, Brackett, etc.). There's a reason why he has won so many NFL Executive of the Year awards.

• 10 months later...

Not sure wher ethe good news is, to me it just sounds we got some guys that are overpriced.....or just plain arent any good or are unproven, that also means we can forget about much in the form of compensation for anyone we lose

Is it good news that none of the Colts FA's make this list? To me, I just see that as the Colts FA's aren't as talented as these guys. While it's good that we won't lose anyone who is vital to our team like Manning, Freeney or Brackett, I would still be happy to see a Colt or two on this list.

I never considered Brackett vital, heck an argument can be made the only vital piece we lost was Manning well and Saturday