Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Teams Need Qbs?

supremecoltsfan300

Next year when the draft comes around, what teams will need another qb as their starter? I think the league might have the largest number of nfl-caliber qbs it's ever had. Right now, I see these teams looking for their qb in next years draft:

Arizona (obviously)

Vikings (they will probably stick with Ponder but if he has a horrible year, I could see them looking for another qb)

Bills (Not sure how Fitz contract works so they might be stuck with him)

Raiders (They need a real qb eventually but they'll probably screw up and stick with Palmer)

Chiefs (If Cassel stinks it up, he might be on his way out)

Buccaneers (Freeman would have to be really bad)

6 teams at most I see looking for another starting qb next year. That seems pretty low to me. (Guys like Sanchez, flynn, weeden may do bad but those teams imo will stick with them)

Obviously it depends on this year, but as of right now:

Arizona

Raiders

Those 2 teams need one right now, but those are the only two ones.

At the end of the year, I think it will look like:

Minnesota

Kansas City

Arizona

Oakland

Keep in mind, many teams will be looking for quality backups.

Don't forget the Jets. Denver will in a few years depending on how Brock develops. Same could be said for Cleveland and Weeden. I'm not sold (though I think the potential is there) for Tannehill and I'm really not sold on Gabbert. San Fran and Seattle could both use an upgrade, though with Seattle it is still yet to be determined.

And here are the top QB's coming out... 3 seniors, 1 jr who all would project as 1st rounders right now. Others may become 1st rounders by next spring.

Seniors:

M. Barkley USC

T. Wilson Ark

L. Jones Okla

L. Thomas Virg. Tech.

Some of these guys could play their way out of the 1st round. Or, someone like Thomas might decide not to come out early.

You just never know. But, as of today, these would be the top-4, I think...

Don't forget the Jets. Denver will in a few years depending on how Brock develops. Same could be said for Cleveland and Weeden. I'm not sold (though I think the potential is there) for Tannehill and I'm really not sold on Gabbert. San Fran and Seattle could both use an upgrade, though with Seattle it is still yet to be determined.

I really think the Jets are married to Sanchez. A divorce might happen this year but I just dont think it will. I expect Peyton to play four more years at least so Denver is far off (at least as far off as the Pats going hard for brady's replacement) and Os looks good anyway. Cleveland imo almost has to stick with Weeden for a bit since they used such a high draft pick on him. Same with Tannehill (although like you I agree the potential is there and think he might do well). If Gabbert doesnt do anything well I could see the Jags maybe looking to get another qb, but really Gabbert has no one to throw to (we'll see what Blackmon turns into, but the rest of the receiving core is pretty awful). Harbaugh and Smith are married for a few more years imo, and seattle has Wilson who's been turning heads and that contract with flynn pretty much guarantees two more years probably.

And here are the top QB's coming out... 3 seniors, 1 jr who all would project as 1st rounders right now. Others may become 1st rounders by next spring.

Seniors:

M. Barkley USC

T. Wilson Ark

L. Jones Okla

L. Thomas Virg. Tech.

Some of these guys could play their way out of the 1st round. Or, someone like Thomas might decide not to come out early.

You just never know. But, as of today, these would be the top-4, I think...

I think due to the lack of teams needing starters we'll see a decline in qbs being chosen in the first round (especially high in the first round). I really only see Barkley as a lock for a high 1st round pick the other guys I can see going late first round pick or somewhere in the second. The first overall pick in this years draft imo has a chance to not be a qb, something we haven't seen recently

I think due to the lack of teams needing starters we'll see a decline in qbs being chosen in the first round (especially high in the first round). I really only see Barkley as a lock for a high 1st round pick the other guys I can see going late first round pick or somewhere in the second. The first overall pick in this years draft imo has a chance to not be a qb, something we haven't seen recently

Good post....

My guess is.... whoever gets the 1st pick, if they don't need a QB, they'll hope that two teams picking relatively high both need a QB, and get into a bidding war for the right to the 1st overall pick. So, the top team trades down, gets the player they want, and picks up added draft choices along the way.

Just a guess.... but seems reasonable. But thanks for sending the thread in that direction... some good ideas there...

Good post....

My guess is.... whoever gets the 1st pick, if they don't need a QB, they'll hope that two teams picking relatively high both need a QB, and get into a bidding war for the right to the 1st overall pick. So, the top team trades down, gets the player they want, and picks up added draft choices along the way.

Just a guess.... but seems reasonable. But thanks for sending the thread in that direction... some good ideas there...

I can see the RG3 scenario playing out again for Barkley this year (except 1st overall k=like you said). And who knows what qb will light it up in college this year and garner attention (no one saw newton as #1 or even rg3 #2 the year before)? Just seems like a lot of solid qb play atm in the league (and exceptional play by the elite 6) that won't result in SB rings but can get wins.