Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts-Rams Recap

Andy

Andrew Luck had a fantastic start to his career, but that wasn't it, so many players looked great against the Rams. Here's the recap.

Luck looked great! His first play of the game was a short dump off pass to Donald Brown... that went 63 yards for a touchdown. That was crazy. What was even crazier, and scary in a way was that Peyton Manning's first pass in the NFL was also a touchdown. He didn't slow down from there. He made numerous great throws, and on some of them, he showcased his great footwork, rolling out of the pocket and avoiding sacks. He went 10 for 16 with 188 yards with 2 TDs. Some of his best throws included a 32 yard pass to Quan Cosby and a 23 yard touchdown pass to Austin Collie. His decision making, which is something I told you to observe was stellar. It's one game, but it was a great game.

The running backs weren't great. Donald Brown had that one touchdown catch and his speed looked great, but he didn't really do anything today. Vick Ballard was the best of the bunch, which doesn't surprise me much, but his game wasn't that great.

All the receivers, excluding Reggie Wayne, who had barely any time on the field, got involved. Collie looked great, Brazill looked really good, and TY Hilton and Jeremy Ross looked good. The starters are looking good and it's comforting to see that the Colts have nice depth there. That's going to be a strength on this team for many years to come.

The tight ends didn't do much. Dwayne Allen dropped a pass, and Fleener caught one. Allen was used as a blocking tight end, whereas Fleener moved around the line and played more as a receiver.

The offensive line was horrendous. The only solid player was Samson Satele. Excluding him, they all looked sloppy. Justice had penalties and had a tough time out there. Link looked terrible, and shouldn't be starting. Anthony Castonzo was pretty good. They need to work better on their chemistry and their technique or Luck will be running a lot. Speaking of Luck, thank goodness the guy has the ability to run, because if that were Manning or someone who can't really run, the Colts' offense would be in some trouble.

Then the defense, and many people overlooked them, but they were impressive. For starters, they allowed 3 points. Preseason or not, that's impressive.

Let's start with the defensive line. They were crap. The Rams O-line was just beating them all day. Antonio Johnson was the worst of the group. If the guy can't play a 1 gap, how can he play a 2 gap. He was stuffed everytime. Brandon McKinney looked better, even recovering a fumble. Honestly, none of them stood out, and that's not a good thing.

The linebackers were pretty solid. Kavell Conner shook off any criticism and any doubts of him starting. He had a good game. Jerrell Freeman had a great game also making great tackles and plugging up holes. It looks like he could make the roster. Moise Fokou and Greg Lloyd, the Colts' new additions, were no where to be seen. Pat Angerer played early on but left with a foot injury. It doesn't seem to be serious.

The secondary was pretty solid. They all tackled well. Jerraud Powers, was surprising average. He was beaten quite a bit on the slant passes and it was disapointing. Cassius Vaughn had a good game and the same with Rucker who had an easy interception. Justin King tackled well, but was a bit of a liability in coverage. It could be because of the adaption to a new defense. Cassius Vaughn has the advantage at the #2 spot. Jermale Hines had an okay game, having a few dumb penalties, but had some nice tackles. Antoine Bethea barely played and I don't believe that Tom Zbikowski even showed up on the field.

The special teams looked great! They stopped every Rams return, and Brazill did a nice job returning. Patty McAffee had a nice field goal too.

The coaches made great play calls and Bruce Arians is looking like a great fit in Indy.

All in all, it was a great game. It wasn't against a great defense, but you couldn't ask for a better start from Andrew Luck. He's the future of this team.

**Colts Recap and Double A Breakdown return Week 1**

I'll take your word for it that Satele looked good. I know he was owned on at least one play where Luck almost got sacked. Lots of work needed. Fortunately, we may have another QB that can make any line look decent.

DId Sambrano even get in the game? After Wayne and Collie, it's hard to determine who was next with today's outing. They all looked good!

And Dwayne Allen didn't drop a pass heck he wasn't even targeted in the passing game. Fleener was. The one with the dropped ball along with Collie and Brazill..but all around good game gives us something to build on and have something on film so we can correct our mistakes and find somebody else for that RG spot because McGlynn smh is all I can do

Andy- Make up you're mind! lol. You're long winded comments were all over the place. My only comment will be I thought the team looked pretty good being it is basically a whole new team that had never played together before. Keep grinding Colts!

What was contradicting in my article? The team looked great and Luck had a great start to his career, but it wasn't against a mediocre defense. It was still a great showing. 38-3 is awesome!

You didn't mention Hughes? I thought that Nevis and Mckinney both played very well, so that's a good part of our D-Line. I don't think they played as bad as you think.

They didnt, they gave up 3.57 yards per carry, They played very well overall but Im starting Mckinney over Johnson

For this to be one game in the preseason the O-line wasn't all that bad, obviosly we have some more work to do but thats what preseason is for. The front three on D didnt look all that bad because linebackers were able to fly around to the ball. Great start Colts

I wouldn't say the o-line looked horrendous, actually most considered it a decent outing. I'm thinking you were looking for something to pounce on to , trying to be more balanced in your recap. I know a lot of the more successful journalist do it, but I wouldnt over state things.