Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ben Ijalana

Nobody

Have we really given up on a second round pick after a couple games? We haven't resigned him and put him on IR yet, correct? I know the current regime didn't draft him, but it seems like such a waste to cut him already. Some draft analysts believed he would/could become our LT in the future. Really hope he isn't a bust.

Have we really given up on a second round pick after a couple games? We haven't resigned him and put him on IR yet, correct? I know the current regime didn't draft him, but it seems like such a waste to cut him already. Some draft analysts believed he would/could become our LT in the future. Really hope he isn't a bust.

We did put him on IR along with edds

We did put him on IR along with edds

We have him, he is on IR from what I read on the lineup sheet fans received at practice tonight

Thank goodness!!! Thanks for clearing that up, I don't know if anyone posted a topic about us putting him on IR, but I sure didn't see one. Thank you!

Thank goodness!!! Thanks for clearing that up, I don't know if anyone posted a topic about us putting him on IR, but I sure didn't see one. Thank you!

I dont remember if anyone posted a topic on it, but I seem to remember that it was brought up briefly in a post, i forget by who

As soon as he cleared waivers, he went to our IR. There was an article on Colts.com about it.

If healthy, I think he would be a better LT than Castonzo. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to stay healthy so far. It's possible that he was rushed back from his previous injury that didn't fully heal. With another year off, hopefully he gets fully healed and can get back onto the field

If healthy, I think he would be a better LT than Castonzo. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to stay healthy so far. It's possible that he was rushed back from his previous injury that didn't fully heal. With another year off, hopefully he gets fully healed and can get back onto the field

He did look good in the very limited time he played there. I hope he can rehab, I don't want to give up on him yet.

Interesting thought... and since I doubt he'll be ready before next year, I do not think we do a settlement and take our chances next summer at training camp. If he still looks to be behind schedule approaching that, well then I think they have to determine when they think he will be healed for the settlement terms at that point (or even now, if they go that route)...

Since Ben was a 2nd round choice, signed under the new CBA, he does not have a massive cap hit. Since we are going to have the most cap space in the league next year, I think they will keep him and not negotiate an injury settlement.

Kind of uncharted territory. A player who has more than one year on remaining their contract and is waived automatically becomes a free agent after the season following the one they were waived in. So even though Ijalana had three years remaining (2012, 2013, 2014), he will be a free agent after 2013. I believe he will be a restricted free agent, seeing as how he'll have less than four years of service. So we could potentially tender him for 2014 and have another low rent year of service from him, depending on what happens in 2013.

As it stands, his base salary in 2012 is $590k, and in 2013 is $743k. We could do an injury settlement and save a couple hundred thousand in 2012, and maybe more in 2013. But, to me, it seems kind of pointless. I think injury settlements are more beneficial for the team in the case of a player with a hefty base salary that has been waive/injured, and now is sitting on the inactive roster. If his base salary were $3 million, it would make a ton of sense to negotiate that down, seeing as how he's not playing this season.

Yeah, that's an automatic process. The real next step to see how we view him will be to determine if we're negotiating an injury settlement.

I would hope we dont give up on someone who's never played...in games due to injury...

I dont know the condition of his injury...

But if his base salary is so little....(relatively speaking) pay it to him and work with him to get him healthly and see if he's worth the pick we spent on him.

We're not a must-win-now kinda team ad it would be like getting an extra pick in the 2013 draft

I would hope we dont give up on someone who's never played...in games due to injury...

I dont know the condition of his injury...

But if his base salary is so little....(relatively speaking) pay it to him and work with him to get him healthly and see if he's worth the pick we spent on him.

We're not a must-win-now kinda team ad it would be like getting an extra pick in the 2013 draft

He played for about 2 minutes last year before he got hurt... I thought he looked good. Hurt the same knee as last time though, that's what worries me.

He played for about 2 minutes last year before he got hurt... I thought he looked good. Hurt the same knee as last time though, that's what worries me.

It's just an ACL. Not cartilage, not meniscus, not tendon damage. It's not minor, but it's not something that's compounded every time it happens. They go in and repair it, and if he rehabs it properly and builds the other muscles in the leg in a controlled manner, the ligament will be fine. Even though it's happened twice. If it were cartilage or meniscus, then there would be cause for concern, because all they can do is remove the damaged tissue. Every time they do that, you're left with less cushioning in the joint, and that leads to more issues. It's degenerative in nature.

In Ijalana's case, he should be very prepared for the recovery and rehab process. It can be a shock for someone to go through that kind of issue, and especially when he's pushing to get back on the field as soon as possible and maybe not listening to his body the way he should. This time, he knows what to expect, and the doctors will probably be more careful with him. Having spent time rehabbing and condition his leg already, the muscles should respond well. I don't think it's as devastating as it's being made out to be.

It's definitely a major concern. Not trying to downplay it. He might not get another chance, honestly. But I don't think his knee has no chance of ever getting right again.