Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Negotiating to Reduce Saints' Player Suspensions....

NewColtsFan

We talked about this about a month or so ago....

If the players had just cooperated, Goodell had always planned to reduce the suspensions.

And now, NFL/PA sources confirm it's happening.

Right now, it's reducing Vilma's year old suspension to a half-season.

I'm also betting he'll reduce the others as well. The 8 games will go to 4... The 4 game will go to 3... and the 3 game will go to 2 games....

All Goodell wanted was some cooperation and responsibility. I think Goodell and the NFL didn't handle this all that well and let the players win the PR battle after the penalties were handed down.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000046170/article/nfl-reportedly-offers-to-cut-jonathan-vilmas-ban-to-eight-games

I may not be happy with the Saints, but I always thought the player suspensions were too big and should be reduced. Players are the soldiers, they take orders from the generals. It was the coaches and GM that had to be hit the hardest.

Just wish the players had been more cooperative and less contentious...

This battle is winding down...

This has definately turned into a mess.

I was watching Drew Brees's interview during the game last night and although he didn't come right out and say it the gist of the conversation was that Goodell had lied about the evidence and damaged the trust of the players.

It looks like all the parties involved are going to come out of this with black eyes.

As Gavin's link says, the NFL claims that the reports of settlements are false. Personally, I see no reason to give them any settlements. I'm not legal expert, but would it be possible to increase suspensions and all that because of this? He is fighting something that has been dealt with in courts and refuses to accept punishment. Can't you make a case for him binding up the legal system and actually increase penalties?

As Gavin's link says, the NFL claims that the reports of settlements are false. Personally, I see no reason to give them any settlements. I'm not legal expert, but would it be possible to increase suspensions and all that because of this? He is fighting something that has been dealt with in courts and refuses to accept punishment. Can't you make a case for him binding up the legal system and actually increase penalties?

They havent been dealt with in courts, thats to come this week, If Goodell felt 100 percent sure in his evidence then he should not or shouldnt have (whichever the case) have lifted the suspensions at all whether it be 8 games or even more, its rumored he lifted the suspensions or that he will for not only Vilma but the other players suspended as well that tells me he isnt sure the evidence he supposedly has will stick in court, Personally I dont are if it does or not, I have said many times I am not a guy thats big on trusting Goodell, I just hope whatever ruling is handed out that the game itself isn't drastically changed because of it, sadly though I think it very well could be

What if Gregg Williams was the * who signed a statement ratting out his own players with details!!!

Is there reason for Goodell to protect his source for the sake of the league, if it was indeed Gregg Williams? Instead of pitting the players against an ex-coach, could it be that Goodell wants quicker closure on this?

There is no way Goodell even goes to the length of a 1 year suspension without having some level of evidence. The question is, how much has he released so far and is he willing to go the distance and reveal more sources in order to win a case in the public court? I dont think it is in the league's interest to make this mess more muddy, and I feel that is the primary reason that the reduction in suspension is even considered.

They havent been dealt with in courts, thats to come this week, If Goodell felt 100 percent sure in his evidence then he should not or shouldnt have (whichever the case) have lifted the suspensions at all whether it be 8 games or even more, its rumored he lifted the suspensions or that he will for not only Vilma but the other players suspended as well that tells me he isnt sure the evidence he supposedly has will stick in court, Personally I dont are if it does or not, I have said many times I am not a guy thats big on trusting Goodell, I just hope whatever ruling is handed out that the game itself isn't drastically changed because of it, sadly though I think it very well could be

So far Goodell hasn't lifted any suspensions, and there isnt any evidence to suggest Goodell isnt 100% sure. The report was from espn and espn usually doesnt have all the facts, especially when it's an unknown source providing the rumor.

I give whoever made this up (probably Vilma's attorney's) a lot of credit...

Every media outlet bought it...

Supreme is right about ESPN....That's not a hard news outlet...