Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opinions And Feedback, Please!

dranyam327

Let me first start by saying I hope Peyton Manning and the rest of the Colts all stay healthy this season and we are able to win the Super Bowl at home in Lucas Oil Stadium this upcoming February!

Here's my hypothetical scenario: Peyton Manning ends up injured and put on season-ending IR and we have to start Curtis Painter. We end up with the worst record in the NFL this year, and subsequently get the first pick in the draft. In this scenario, Manning is fully expected to come back completely healthy and be his old self going into the 2012 season. Do we use the number one pick to draft Andrew Luck, do we draft some other player with the #1 pick, do we trade down and draft some other player(s), or do we trade the pick for a proven veteran(s) that can help the Colts immediately win more Super Bowls while Manning is still around? I'm very interested to here your responses and opinions!

Let me first start by saying I hope Peyton Manning and the rest of the Colts all stay healthy this season and we are able to win the Super Bowl at home in Lucas Oil Stadium this upcoming February!

Here's my hypothetical scenario: Peyton Manning ends up injured and put on season-ending IR and we have to start Curtis Painter. We end up with the worst record in the NFL this year, and subsequently get the first pick in the draft. In this scenario, Manning is fully expected to come back completely healthy and be his old self going into the 2012 season. Do we use the number one pick to draft Andrew Luck, do we draft some other player with the #1 pick, do we trade down and draft some other player(s), or do we trade the pick for a proven veteran(s) that can help the Colts immediately win more Super Bowls while Manning is still around? I'm very interested to here your responses and opinions!

likm

IF and that's a huge if, the Colts would be an interesting spot. You are looking at not playing Luck really for probably four years at least so it's probably still too soon to draft our next franchise QB. However, what are the odds of having a guy like Luck looking you in the face when it's that time? Luck sounds like the most sure thing since Peyton came out of college and that would be pretty hard to pass on. Still if the Polians like another guy who they feel can help us win now it wouldn't shock me if they did.

Either way this is a huge if since we are talking about guy in Peyton going to IR and he's missed all of one play in his career due to injury. I'd say the odds of that happening are probably less than our odds of ending up with the first overall pick.

1 post and you pose this question.....really?

There's no need for yourself and others to get all bent out of shape by a little hypothetical question. It's just 'food for thought', ya know, just for fun and to make you think. That's all. It's like those hypothetical questions like, 'If your mother, wife, and daughter were all hanging from the edge of a cliff, you are the only other person around, and your not sure how long any of them will be able to hang on, who do you save first, second, and last?'. It's a scenario you would never want to happen, and some would never want to even think about, but actually sitting down and making yourself answer the question tells you something about what is most important to you, and maybe you learn something in the process. I was just thinking about the Colts and possible scenarios of what could happen this season and ended up having that scenario pop into my head. It seemed like a pretty interesting situation for the Colts to be in with a whole lot of different factors to weigh, and I thought maybe some other Colts fans might find it interesting as well, so I shared it. No big deal, man. Sorry if I failed to meet your expectations of what a 'worthy' post should be.

peyton will not be on IR thats for sure.. he wont miss the first game... the colts will be real good this year... come on they won 10 games with practically the whole team out.. we have better DT's then last year. we look good besides gonzo always getting hurt.. i think the colts will suprise alot of people and go to the super bowl

peyton will not be on IR thats for sure.. he wont miss the first game... the colts will be real good this year... come on they won 10 games with practically the whole team out.. we have better DT's then last year. we look good besides gonzo always getting hurt.. i think the colts will suprise alot of people and go to the super bowl

I think the OP was getting at the idea of if Peyton suffered a season ending injury ala Tom Brady a few years ago, not on IR from what he has now.

There's no need for yourself and others to get all bent out of shape by a little hypothetical question. It's just 'food for thought', ya know, just for fun and to make you think. That's all. It's like those hypothetical questions like, 'If your mother, wife, and daughter were all hanging from the edge of a cliff, you are the only other person around, and your not sure how long any of them will be able to hang on, who do you save first, second, and last?'. It's a scenario you would never want to happen, and some would never want to even think about, but actually sitting down and making yourself answer the question tells you something about what is most important to you, and maybe you learn something in the process. I was just thinking about the Colts and possible scenarios of what could happen this season and ended up having that scenario pop into my head. It seemed like a pretty interesting situation for the Colts to be in with a whole lot of different factors to weigh, and I thought maybe some other Colts fans might find it interesting as well, so I shared it. No big deal, man. Sorry if I failed to meet your expectations of what a 'worthy' post should be.

I apologize for the others here. I don't know why but fun hypotheticals are often received as you being stupid and when you pose a hypothetical you end up spending all your effort constantly reminding people that it was for fun. As if you are having a conversation with an adult that has full blown ADHD.

IF the the Colts did fall into this scenario, which despite the passionate objections is entirely a realistic one, the Colts would likely not be interested in a QB. They would spend the number 1 overall on a different position. I don't watch college ball so I have no clue what the projections are. What I do know is that the projections constantly change and they would be worthless at this point anyway, even for speculation.

Reggie Bush was all the rage and he turns out to be a total bust as an every down back. Tebow, in my opinion will never win a starting job. We see it every year, the media targets certain kids as the second coming of Christ like fools buying an ocean front property in Arizona.

IF and that's a huge if, the Colts would be an interesting spot. You are looking at not playing Luck really for probably four years at least so it's probably still too soon to draft our next franchise QB. However, what are the odds of having a guy like Luck looking you in the face when it's that time? Luck sounds like the most sure thing since Peyton came out of college and that would be pretty hard to pass on. Still if the Polians like another guy who they feel can help us win now it wouldn't shock me if they did.

Either way this is a huge if since we are talking about guy in Peyton going to IR and he's missed all of one play in his career due to injury. I'd say the odds of that happening are probably less than our odds of ending up with the first overall pick.

If the Colts found themselves in the position to draft Luck.... One of three possibilities, Draft Luck and let him sit (Steve Younug like), or trade either Manning or Luck. And for a King's ransom. Oh what a dreamy scenario... after the depression of the season wears off of coarse.

Actually it could be the best thing to ever happen to the franchise.... well second best thing.

If the Colts found themselves in the position to draft Luck.... One of three possibilities, Draft Luck and let him sit (Steve Younug like), or trade either Manning or Luck. And for a King's ransom. Oh what a dreamy scenario... after the depression of the season wears off of coarse.

Actually it could be the best thing to ever happen to the franchise.... well second best thing.

I am pretty sure Manning's cap hits would keep us from trading Manning. There is also the possiblities that we trade the pick or draft another player besides Luck. Either way I don't really see this happening.

Wow great question...there are a couple of things I would think about doing...

1. Draft Luck and trade him. To the right team he might be worth a pro bowler and draft picks.

2. Trade pick. Move down and get a first rounder for next year and draft for need this year

3. Draft, keep him through first year then trade him. Doing this because of the education he had under Manning might serve us well. The right team might fill all our weakness in one trade.

I apologize for the others here. I don't know why but fun hypotheticals are often received as you being stupid and when you pose a hypothetical you end up spending all your effort constantly reminding people that it was for fun. As if you are having a conversation with an adult that has full blown ADHD.

IF the the Colts did fall into this scenario, which despite the passionate objections is entirely a realistic one, the Colts would likely not be interested in a QB. They would spend the number 1 overall on a different position. I don't watch college ball so I have no clue what the projections are. What I do know is that the projections constantly change and they would be worthless at this point anyway, even for speculation.

Reggie Bush was all the rage and he turns out to be a total bust as an every down back. Tebow, in my opinion will never win a starting job. We see it every year, the media targets certain kids as the second coming of Christ like fools buying an ocean front property in Arizona.

I agree, it is a good hypothetical. And it is a possibility of a worst case scenario.

IMO, Luck is nothing like Bush. There were a lot of people who didn't think Bush was worth being the first pick, obviously the Texans agreed. Plus, a RB life isn't usually very long so unless the guy is a game changer like AP, I don't think you'll see too many chosen real high. Simply because that's the way the NFL is going - RBs are devalued.

However a franchise QB, one that everyone agrees is going to make it, are pretty rare. So yes, I'd take Luck. Put him on the bench for a few years, ala GB did. Then you go from the GOAT to the second GOAT.

I agree, it is a good hypothetical. And it is a possibility of a worst case scenario.

IMO, Luck is nothing like Bush. There were a lot of people who didn't think Bush was worth being the first pick, obviously the Texans agreed. Plus, a RB life isn't usually very long so unless the guy is a game changer like AP, I don't think you'll see too many chosen real high. Simply because that's the way the NFL is going - RBs are devalued.

However a franchise QB, one that everyone agrees is going to make it, are pretty rare. So yes, I'd take Luck. Put him on the bench for a few years, ala GB did. Then you go from the GOAT to the second GOAT.

I don't follow college ball. I only watch the players as they enter draft eligibility. Is Luck that good? If so, what sets him apart. I know nothing about him.

PS: I noticed that the OP got banned after making his first post. Must be a returned banned member.....tough luck on that one (<<Pun intended)

I don't follow college ball. I only watch the players as they enter draft eligibility. Is Luck that good? If so, what sets him apart. I know nothing about him.

PS: I noticed that the OP got banned after making his first post. Must be a returned banned member.....tough luck on that one.

Luck has all the tools, size, arm, brains, and from what I can tell he has the maturity that's lacking in a lot of guys his age. None of that guarantees anything of course. Heck, a lot of people thought Leaf was the better choice.

Don't know anything about the OP. This thread seemed legitimate to me, even though it was a horrible scenario.

Interesting... I think in that case we should either draft Luck (assuming he's still the top prospect) and trade him or trade the pick. We could take either picks or vets or a combination of the two in return. Players that could help us win immediately... If we drafted Luck, he'd sign a standard 4 year rookie contract at maximum salary and end up sitting the bench most likely for the majority or entirety of the deal. Then when we actually need him, he could be signed away by another team. Only one QB can be on the field at a time, and there's no scenario in which you put Luck ahead of Manning, so it wouldn't be worth it.

Personally I think it's a little early to draft Peyton's successor. I'd prefer to see it happen so that the new QB would have 2 years to study with Peyton and then take the reigns. Plus there's always the possibility that Manning could change his mind and stay on another couple of years after his current contract runs out...or he could decide to come back as a QB coach or advisor when he retires which would allow us to wait a little longer to draft his replacement.

If, and I don't see it happening but I like considering hypotheticals, we wound up with a top 5 pick then here are my preferences, in order, of what I would like to see us do:

1) If available, draft a stud MLB. For one, I've never been truly content with Brackett in the middle. He did show a lot of improvement last year but he's still not, at least imo, a true NFL MLB. On any other team I say he's a starting WILL at best. Plus, he's starting to get up there in age so there's no telling how much longer he'll be able to stay healthy and play at a high level. If a guy comparable to an Urlacher were available, imagine what that could do for our defense. Plus, MLB has been proven to be the only LB position of value to our FO.

2) Trade down to the 10-20 range and pick up extra picks for both this year and next.

Trade Manning to the team with the 1st draft choice. Get Luck (with the first pick) plus that team's 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks next year.

...the draft picks, let's trade the #1 pick to Jerry Jones for a pair of cruise tickets.

orlando-breakers.gif