Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike chappell says colts and luck close

GoColts8818

Chappell has two recent stories about this, and neither one claims to have inside information. One was before Griffin signed, and it talked about the likely holdup being the offset language (something we've discussed here a few times). The other was after Griffin signed, and it noted that that contract reflected the Redskins caving on the offset provision. He then theorized that the Colts will likely cave as well.

But we don't know that - and he isn't saying that he knows it either. He is just assuming it. Maybe the provision is more important to the Colts. Maybe they don't want to be seen as letting the Redskins lead the way. Not much has changed actually. The primary reason to assume that the deal will get done soon is that they are running out of time. I would expect all the deals to be finalized by the last minute - as they often are.

Luck's agent is green. RGIII has an experienced agent with the top company, so who came blame the good old Uncle for waiting to see how an experienced agent handled everything. The Redskins blinked at the off-set language. Now either Luck's agent or Irsay/Grigson will do the same.

Then again there might be fire for the smoke from a few weeks ago about Irsay wanting to authorize or sign off on Luck's sponsorship opportunities.

As MAC said, time is running out and the term close will eventually be accurate, whether it's Irsay spewing it on twitter or a member of the media claiming the same thing.

First....

Here's the link:

http://blogs.indystar.com/coltsinsider/2012/07/18/colts-andrew-luck-should-wrap-things-up-now-that-rg3-has-signed/

I don't think he's got inside sources, at least, it's not the way I read it. I think he's stating his opinion and it's one that I share and was going to write about today, since it's a week before our rookie camp.

RG3 has been holding out from the Skins rookie camp over this. Luck will hold out too. (that's my guess) First, last year's #1 got the deal Griffin did. Now RG3 gets it. There's no way -- none -- that Luck should accept less. Not only for him, but for the other first rounders this impacts. Luck can't accept a lesser deal.

Honestly, I think Irsay knows this too. He's a very smart guy. And I think he was looking for political cover. Just the cover that Daniel Snyder just handed him. Now, not only is Cam's deal political cover, but so is the deal Snyder gave RG3. Irsay can't put the >>>s to Luck now. Just. Can. Not.

This deal for Luck should be done by no later than Monday, IMO. This should streamline the process. Most everything else should already be agreed upon. The only possible hold-up is how the Bonus Money is paid out. I can't believe Irsay will fight long and hard over this. There's got to be precedent, and barring that a compromise.

This is Good News, Colts Fans. The Luck deal gets done soon, and the Fleener and Allen deals should be done within 24-48 hours of that. I wouldn't even be surprised to have all three done and announced at the same time and have a press conference with all three. That should get the Colts some very favorable coverage.

Good way to kick-off the day.

RG3 has been holding out from the Skins rookie camp over this. Luck will hold out too. (that's my guess) First, last year's #1 got the deal Griffin did. Now RG3 gets it. There's no way -- none -- that Luck should accept less. Not only for him, but for the other first rounders this impacts. Luck can't accept a lesser deal.

RGIII's deal resemble's Newton's in structure, but it is in line financially with Von Miller, last year's #2. Slightly higher than Miller's which is expected, just as it is expected for Luck's to be slightly higher than Newton's. RGIII's did not exceed Newton's contract financially.

RGIII's deal resemble's Newton's in structure, but it is in line financially with Von Miller, last year's #2. Slightly higher than Miller's which is expected, just as it is expected for Luck's to be slightly higher than Newton's. RGIII's did not exceed Newton's contract financially.

Yes..... agree with what you've written. Sorry my post wasn't more clear. I'm referencing the off-set language when I say that RG3 got the same deal as Newton. Not the money -- the off-set language. That's all I'm referring to, nothing more.

Sorry for the confusion...

Yes..... agree with what you've written. Sorry my post wasn't more clear. I'm referencing the off-set language when I say that RG3 got the same deal as Newton. Not the money -- the off-set language. That's all I'm referring to, nothing more.

Sorry for the confusion...

No problem... It's all good.

I think he's merely using the RGIII signing as a point of reference for what the Colts are EXPECTED to do here soon. This is actually smart by the Luck camp because if they were to sign a deal before RGIII, and RGIII got more money than Luck, Luck's agent wouldn't have a job too much longer, even if it is family. It'll get done.

I think he's merely using the RGIII signing as a point of reference for what the Colts are EXPECTED to do here soon. This is actually smart by the Luck camp because if they were to sign a deal before RGIII, and RGIII got more money than Luck, Luck's agent wouldn't have a job too much longer, even if it is family. It'll get done.

I'm under the impression that with the new CBA it's pretty much a given that player (A) drafted at number (X) gets said amount (Y). The fine details such as what all is guaranteed and the off-set language is really the only thing to be haggled over. I seriously doubt that draft pick #2 would get more than draft pick #1 as it would be a violation of the new CBA.

Irsay says it again. Luck will be signed by the time camp comes around. Welllllllll.....

Camp is the 29th... Rookie camp is the 25th... and he's not being clear on which camp he's referring to. In the past, he was talking about the 29th.

I think if he's still using that as a yardstick, I think he's got a problem. There will be HOWELS of protest if Luck is missing rookie camp because he doesn't have a deal. That would be bad, Bad, BAD public relations, to say nothing of not in the organization's best interest.

GET. IT. DONE.

NO. EXCUSES.

Irsay says it again. Luck will be signed by the time camp comes around. Welllllllll.....

GET. IT. DONE.

NO. EXCUSES.

Castonzo signed 8/2 last year, Brown 8/3 his year, Pollack 8/3 his year. On and on. Always the last minute, yet I don't remember the Colts having a problem getting someone to camp. People just tend to keep exploring options in negotiations until there is a firm deadline that means something to both parties. Look at the NFL labor agreement last year.

It is a complete non issue - as many of us have said all 138 times that a thread has been generated about it. The don't need to be told to get it done, and nobody is making any excuses. Relax already.

Castonzo signed 8/2 last year, Brown 8/3 his year, Pollack 8/3 his year. On and on. Always the last minute, yet I don't remember the Colts having a problem getting someone to camp. People just tend to keep exploring options in negotiations until there is a firm deadline that means something to both parties. Look at the NFL labor agreement last year.

It is a complete non issue - as many of us have said all 138 times that a thread has been generated about it. The don't need to be told to get it done, and nobody is making any excuses. Relax already.

I agree with most of what you say here. Just pointing out that Castonzo missed the first couple days of camp while his deal was finalized. The squabble was over whether the fourth year would be fully guaranteed or not, and they settled on a partially guaranteed fourth year.

I don't think there's any issue with this contract that won't be resolved. I remain confident that it will get done before Luck is scheduled to report to camp. As Andrew Brandt says: "Deadlines spur action."

I agree with most of what you say here. Just pointing out that Castonzo missed the first couple days of camp while his deal was finalized. The squabble was over whether the fourth year would be fully guaranteed or not, and they settled on a partially guaranteed fourth year.

I don't think there's any issue with this contract that won't be resolved. I remain confident that it will get done before Luck is scheduled to report to camp. As Andrew Brandt says: "Deadlines spur action."

No problem - I'm all for accuracy - I should have specified that I frankly couldn't care less if there is a minor blip at the start of camp. Bad publicity? Howls of outrage? If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't even be aware that he hadn't signed yet. Who cares? This isn't Revis doing anything he can to tweak his team for his personal gain. I'm quite confident that ALL the Colts rookies are packed, have kissed their mommies goodbye, and are itching to get to camp and to start their careers. They've had their playbooks for weeks and been involved in all manner of team activities. A day here, a meeting there, isn't going to make or break anyone's career, or even season, or even first preseason game. It means NOTHING, and these threads are tiresome.

In short, it's just a mole hill. Wake me up in September.

I know this was quite a while ago, but I recall Sanders didn't sign before camp. Actually, I believe he missed a bit of TC.

However, he was also still recovering from a college injury, and wasn't expected to be ready anyway.

I know this was quite a while ago, but I recall Sanders didn't sign before camp. Actually, I believe he missed a bit of TC.

However, he was also still recovering from a college injury, and wasn't expected to be ready anyway.

Sounds about right. I remember him finally making the field in the middle of the season and immediately changing the entire dynamics of the defense - but I have no recollection of a contract issue. (Actually the most relevant fact is that he was recovering from a college injury. Hmmm).

No problem - I'm all for accuracy - I should have specified that I frankly couldn't care less if there is a minor blip at the start of camp. Bad publicity? Howls of outrage? If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't even be aware that he hadn't signed yet. Who cares? This isn't Revis doing anything he can to tweak his team for his personal gain. I'm quite confident that ALL the Colts rookies are packed, have kissed their mommies goodbye, and are itching to get to camp and to start their careers. They've had their playbooks for weeks and been involved in all manner of team activities. A day here, a meeting there, isn't going to make or break anyone's career, or even season, or even first preseason game. It means NOTHING, and these threads are tiresome.

In short, it's just a mole hill. Wake me up in September.

It's really NOT a big deal. I'd prefer that he be signed and in camp on time, obviously, and I expect that he will be.

I don't know why you think it's people here making it an issue.... It's been Irsay whose been keeping the spotlight on the situation. This is what now -- 4, maybe 5 different tweets promising it will get done in time? He's backed himself into a corner of his own making.

This comes with the territory... with having the top pick overall.

And, me more than most here have been counseling others here that this WILL indeed get done, and likely on time. I'm only responding to Irsay.

I don't think it's wise to use past years as a 'for example'.... little of that is relevant with the new CBA.... part of the benefit of the new CBA was to do away with late, last minute negotiations. And this is the full full year of the new CBA. Last year it was all rushed through with the lateness of everything. So, we're still in somewhat unchartered waters.

Sorry these threads bother you.... but it's part of being a fan and having the number one pick -- especially one that's unsigned.

I don't know why you think it's people here making it an issue.... It's been Irsay whose been keeping the spotlight on the situation. This is what now -- 4, maybe 5 different tweets promising it will get done in time? He's backed himself into a corner of his own making.

And, me more than most here have been counseling others here that this WILL indeed get done, and likely on time. I'm only responding to Irsay.

I don't think it's wise to use past years as a 'for example'.... little of that is relevant with the new CBA.... part of the benefit of the new CBA was to do away with late, last minute negotiations. And this is the full full year of the new CBA. Last year it was all rushed through with the lateness of everything. So, we're still in somewhat unchartered waters.

Sorry these threads bother you.... but it's part of being a fan and having the number one pick -- especially one that's unsigned.

To be fair to MAC, there HAVE been many threads on this, and, if I'm not mistaken, there are posters who just want to GET IT DONE, as though there were some eminent danger.

Now, you're correct, it's Irsay who keeps bringing it up, and exacerbating this topic. However, I've seen it mentioned in other similar threads that he may simply be reacting to numerous tweets asking the question.

Should he have to feel that he has to respond to them all? No, but he is, at least to some of them. I won't pretend to know how often he's asked.

Just sayin'.

Irsay's tweets are usually in response to either a news report or a fans question. I don't take them as spontaneous utterances reflecting a pending event, nor do I take them as a public announcement of team policy. Many here do. There is a new thread - usually out of context - with each tweet. It's then followed by critical posts as if Irsay is either negligent or intentionally trying to be mislead us. I call that making an issue of it. And while I'm sure you are often a voice of reason, I responded because you sounded anxious - like you are mentally preparing yourself to be angry at a pending failure - when in fact there is absolutely nothing going on that warrants any of those concerns or emotions.

Irsay's tweets are usually in response to either a news report or a fans question. I don't take them as spontaneous utterances reflecting a pending event, nor do I take them as a public announcement of team policy. Many here do. There is a new thread - usually out of context - with each tweet. It's then followed by critical posts as if Irsay is either negligent or intentionally trying to be mislead us. I call that making an issue of it. And while I'm sure you are often a voice of reason, I responded because you sounded anxious - like you are mentally preparing yourself to be angry at a pending failure - when in fact there is absolutely nothing going on that warrants any of those concerns or emotions.

My last few comments, said in ALL CAPS gave a misleading impression. Didn't mean to do that to you.

I'm emphatic, because I'm excited. I scratch my head because I do think Irsay has painted himself into a corner. He's got no choice. He's made promises that he now has to keep. I understand how this game is played. And I'm confident it will all work out. I think the next week is going to be great here because Luck, Fleener and Allen will all get signed and then....

Away we go!!! :thmup: