Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Elway on Manning

oldunclemark

mike-rice.jpg Q&A – Elway, Part Two

June 18th, 2012 - 10:25am by mike_rice

120618_elway_blog.jpg

The Broncos recently finished their OTAs (organized team activities) and now they are off until training camp begins in late July.

Leading up to training camp, we are bringing you a series of conversations 850 KOA has had with various Broncos personnel.

This time, part two with Broncos’ Executive Vice President John Elway (JE).

850 KOA: What do you think this offense will look like this season? Will it look like what Broncos fans saw when they watched the Colts? Will it be a combination of different personnel groups?

JE: I think there’s a misconception out there a little about Peyton in that they (the Colts) didn’t run the football in Indianapolis. When they were successful in Indianapolis, they ran the football. What we’re looking for is balance. When we won the championships back in the 90’s, we had balance. Willis McGahee had a great year last year. (Mario) Fannin, the young kid we signed as a free agent last year out of Auburn, is coming back off a knee injury in camp. (He) looks good. And then (Ronnie) Hillman, who we drafted in the third round, is a guy that has big-play ability. I think you’re still going to see good balance. I think the misconception is that Peyton throws the ball all the time but when they were winning and doing well, they were top 12 in the league in rushing.

850 KOA: But what kind of personnel will the Broncos use?

JE: I think we’re going to have it all. The bottom line is in short yardage, especially short yardage goal line, you need a fullback to lead it up in there. You don’t want to put a linebacker or another guard back there. That’s why we made the trade for (Chris) Gronkowski. The more diverse we are and the more personnel packages we have offensively, the better off we’re going to be because they (defenses) have to prepare for that many different things. We’re going to go more ‘21,’ which is two backs, than Peyton has done in the past but it gives us the ability to be better in short yardage and goal line situations.

850 KOA: You had the chance to talk with Peyton during OTA practices. What do you talk about when you’re together and is it different than talking with other quarterbacks?

JE: With Peyton’s background and where he’s coming from and what he’s done in the NFL already, it’s a treat to be able to watch him practice day in and day out. You realize once you’re around him why he’s been as successful as he is. He’s a guy that’s a grinder on the small things, which really matter. He’s also a guy that gets along with his teammates and gains that respect. He has done a tremendous job and walking in, not saying, ‘I’m Peyton Manning,’ but (instead taking the approach of) I’m going to blend in and we’re all going to get to know each other before I put my foot down and say, ‘Ok, we’ve got to do it.’ You saw little signs of that at times during OTAs. He’s been very aware of the people and the need to get to know his teammates. (When he and I talk), I’m interested to see what he’s looking at and the little things that he sees because of what he’s done and been successful with, plus the background I had with Mike (Shanahan) and what we did when we had success. To be able to talk about little things like that, talk about football, but also talk big picture things—quarterbacking and how to handle different situations—are always great conversations.

850 KOA: Wide receiver Brandon Stokley told us that Manning wants precision from his receivers. He wants them to be where they’re supposed to be when they’re supposed to be there. Between Ed McCaffrey, Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe, who did you bark at the most?

JE: Sharpe without a doubt. You could bark at Sharpe because Sharpe (thought he) was always open. (I’d say to him), ‘You’re making me look bad if you raise your hands and you’re open and I’m looking at another side so don’t do that to me.’ Yeah, I’d bark at Sharpe but we all got along so well and it was always a great relationship. You look at the guys we have in Demaryius (Thomas) and Eric (Decker), two young guys, very talented guys, who are going to learn a tremendous amount. Demaryius had a good year the last half of last year but is still so young and so talented. Peyton is going to be huge for him in teaching him where he’s supposed to be as a wideout and the trust it takes for a quarterback to have that the receiver is going to be where he’s supposed to be. Those things are not only what Peyton does between the lines on game day but also in practice.

One day....probably aftre this coming season..

somebody in Denbver is going to sit Manning and Elway down at the same table and just

have them talk about what football was like when they played and the people they knew and the things they did...

i dodn think I've ever heard John Elway talk about his playing days..

The Broncos go, as far as their opportunistic D can take them. Their D, based on its pieces is not going to be an elite unit like the Ravens or Steelers but as long as it can be opportunistic enough, if Peyton is healthy, they will be contenders in the AFC in the short term. That is how I look at it.

Their defense in the middle, safety play and LB coverage, could still end up being atrocious. Hiring JDR might actually help their LB play, IMO. The first year JDR was hired for the Panthers' 4-3 in 2002, they were a top 2 defense with top 4 pass and run D numbers. Plus, with the Jags, I was surprised to find the Jags' ranking no lower than 11th in total defense from 2003-2006.

So, JDR might be a better hire than I originally thought as a DC. He might get them to play top 10 D, if not top 3 D, and that may be enough to go farther with Peyton at the helm. At least JDR is not stuck with Garrard :).

haha I laughed at the yelling at Sharpe part. I think the Broncos will be much better than advertised. Let's not forget that having a QB like Peyton also improves your defense because it lets you do things you didn't/couldn't do before since you have the lead

the defense is has the same problem all our defenses had with manning and that is all rush and no run stop

the defense is has the same problem all our defenses had with manning and that is all rush and no run stop

But they also have a better D coordinator than we ever had here in Indy. Jack Del Rio may not have been a fantastic head coach, but he is a pretty good D coordinator and he is much better than Meeks and Coyer.

But they also have a better D coordinator than we ever had here in Indy. Jack Del Rio may not have been a fantastic head coach, but he is a pretty good D coordinator and he is much better than Meeks and Coyer.

doesnt matter. the players are still the same. dummervil and miller are very good pass rushers, but their terrible run stoppers not to mention that secondary is nothing special but an aging champ bailey

doesnt matter. the players are still the same. dummervil and miller are very good pass rushers, but their terrible run stoppers not to mention that secondary is nothing special but an aging champ bailey

A good scheme and good coordinator can actually make a huge difference. I'm not saying they will be a top 5 defense or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do very well. Del Rio knows how to make a defense work

A good scheme and good coordinator can actually make a huge difference. I'm not saying they will be a top 5 defense or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do very well. Del Rio knows how to make a defense work

it just seems like their adjusting their defense to play with a lead like our defense did and that didnt turn out so well

it just seems like their adjusting their defense to play with a lead like our defense did and that didnt turn out so well

I think as a former LB, Del Rio will be sure to focus on the run. He already has Dumervil and Miller to wreak havoc on QBs and force early/bad throws. He needs to focus on his run defense and I think he will

I think as a former LB, Del Rio will be sure to focus on the run. He already has Dumervil and Miller to wreak havoc on QBs and force early/bad throws. He needs to focus on his run defense and I think he will

maybe they helped the run issues with with drafting of Derek Wolfe although if I was them I would have drafted Kendall Reyes before Wolfe (which is who they picked)

I do see the similarities but the question is, how will they fare on the first 2 downs? At least they are not constructing their DTs with practice squad discards, right? :)

Vickerson that they have used to play at 320 lbs with good production in 2010, he went down to 270 lbs last year and had a drop in production, he is back to that 300 lb range again. The Giants, with their pass rush, still play the run pretty well, so it just goes to show you that you can do it with smaller guys that hustle. The Broncos' biggest question marks are at the LB position. We will see how it unfolds. They will be tested week 3 vs Texans on run D and week 5 vs Pats w.r.t pass coverage in the middle. That should give us an early glimpse.

maybe the solved the run issues with with drafting of Derek Wolfe although if I was them I would have drafted Kendal Reyes before Wolfe

It is mainly Vickerson and Siliga at that NT position, the coaches are high on Siliga, plus they have the vet in Ty Warren. Wolfe is going to play pass down DT and run down DE primarily, according to the coaches. They do have a lot of pass rushing with Ayers, Dumervil and Miller in the fold. They have several JPP type players that are run down DEs and pass down DTs, almost seems like they are mimicking the Giants' mold.

I think the 'playing with a lead' thing is just sportswriting and sportstalk.....

Nobody actually designs their basic defense to play with a lead...do they?

That's just talk.

I think we emphasized pass rush and speed because fo where WE play....and the speed we had.

Denver hasnt ever played that way and there's no reason to believe they wont have the same style of defense they had last year

..when they sure didnt play with the lead a lot :whatever: ..

John Elway on Peyton Manning: "...You realize once you’re around him why he’s been as successful as he is. He’s a guy that’s a grinder on the small things, which really matter...When he and I talk, I’m interested to see what he’s looking at and the little things that he sees because of what he’s done and been successful with, plus the background I had with Mike (Shanahan) and what we did when we had success."

This is exactly why the Broncos were the perfect franchise marriage for Peyton. Yoda & John speak the exact same QB language without have to say a word. Jules, ColtsPride11, BrentMC11, Kayla Daniels, Lollygager, MIColtsFan, & I were exactly right. My blogger friends are so bleeping smart!!! NFL prophets...NFL prophets...Way to Go!!! Please take a bow everyone. You certainly deserve it. Bravo!!!

John Elway on Peyton Manning: "...You realize once you’re around him why he’s been as successful as he is. He’s a guy that’s a grinder on the small things, which really matter...When he and I talk, I’m interested to see what he’s looking at and the little things that he sees because of what he’s done and been successful with, plus the background I had with Mike (Shanahan) and what we did when we had success."

This is exactly why the Broncos were the perfect franchise marriage for Peyton. Yoda & John speak the exact same QB language without have to say a word. Jules, ColtsPride11, BrentMC11, Kayla Daniels, Lollygager, MIColtsFan, & I were exactly right. My blogger friends are so bleeping smart!!! NFL prophets...NFL prophets...Way to Go!!! Please take a bow everyone. You certainly deserve it. Bravo!!!

This is the real deal...

Fox and Del Rio....are a great match defnsively on a team that was middle-of-the-road in defense even though they were ALWAYS on the field in 2011

..and Manning commands the offense.....and if he needs advice......on his new teasmmates,,Elway is right there and Peyton would listen to him..

....with a soft second eight games on the 2012 schedule.....

....Denver has lucked into a situation so bright they'll need shades.. :whatever: