Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eye Ball Test

atapcl

Chris Gronkowski was traded and Kevin Eagan quit but the following players were cut: Brandon Peguese, Brody Eldridge, Mike Holmes, Matt Murphy, Ryan Mahaffey, Blair White, Micah Pellerin, and Jake Kirkpatrick. None of these guys had a training camp this year to determine if they could play Some have signed with other teams. My question for Colts' fans is what criteria was used to determine that the players who were signed to replace these players are better than these players we cut? Most of the time putting on the pads and hitting in football action seperates the men from the boys. These players were let go with an eye ball test. As an example I personally liked Shipley more than Kirkpatrick but it would have been nice to see them compete in action to prove it. Did signing Zane Taylor make Kirkpatrick expendable? Maybe some of these guys who were on the fringes like Pellerin did not have special teams value. Did the GM make these determinations alone before hitting started or did the coaching staff advise the GM that certain players wont make it so he could bring in others?

Chris Gronkowski was traded and Kevin Eagan quit but the following players were cut: Brandon Peguese, Brody Eldridge, Mike Holmes, Matt Murphy, Ryan Mahaffey, Blair White, Micah Pellerin, and Jake Kirkpatrick. None of these guys had a training camp this year to determine if they could play Some have signed with other teams. My question for Colts' fans is what criteria was used to determine that the players who were signed to replace these players are better than these players we cut? Most of the time putting on the pads and hitting in football action seperates the men from the boys. These players were let go with an eye ball test. As an example I personally liked Shipley more than Kirkpatrick but it would have been nice to see them compete in action to prove it. Did signing Zane Taylor make Kirkpatrick expendable? Maybe some of these guys who were on the fringes like Pellerin did not have special teams value. Did the GM make these determinations alone before hitting started or did the coaching staff advise the GM that certain players wont make it so he could bring in others?

Could have been one on one interviews. It appears to me that this new FO is looking for a particular attitude...way of thinking if you will. If you dont have it, you are only here until replacement comes available.

Grigson/Pagano are both from VERY successful franchises and no doubt noted traits from their previous destinations that they believe will create a winning culture in Indy. When the Dallas Cowboys rebuilt back in the late 80's, they also went through a quick massive overhaul and it worked out relatively quickly considering the lack of present day Free Agency. Perhaps those cut were probably content with just being in the NFL. Their moves have definately been calculating, if nothing else.

Some of the cuts had to do with health. The Colts have been bitten by the injury bug the last few years. I'm sure that they thought that they want the strongest and healthiest players to begin with. Also, during our OTA's you can get a sense of how soon someone grasps the offense or defense and how they absorb knowledge and translate that knowledge onto the field. My guess is that the guys that were let go have not shown the intensity, desire to learn, and desire to get better compared to others on the team. All of these factors and maybe a few more could help to explain why some were cut, not to mention that there could have been more talented players out there and players were cut to make room for the more talented guys.

it seems to me that their looking for guys that fit their system and have a specific attitude towards their game.

I agree with this. And it could be dependent on things in the classroom. Does the player always ask the same question? Does he understand the scheme? Does he know his entire playbook?

I look at all those guys and none of them were quality players. Not even close to starters. I have no clue why they were cut. I imagine you have some injured, some out of shape, some not catching on, and others with bad attitudes. I will trust the guy there.

Haven't the Colts just been running OTAs? Not for all of these instances, but for some. Also, a GM and/or coach will know what players they have rated as better fits for their team, so cutting one who might not grade out as as well a fit as a now available player makes sense.

It's not like any of these cuts have been newsworthy. I mean it isn't high profile players like say Ochocinco in NE. Now that would be discussion worthy....these guys not.

Now I'm waiting for the inevitable topic of should we claim Chad Johnson.....waiting...