Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steven Baker

Scott Pennock

I have watched the replay of the Navy versus East Carolina and spicifically watched big number 79 (Steven Baker)...........

I will admit that I was a defensive back so I am not 100% sure on what to key on specifically for OLineman - other than the obvious: Does he block the guy in front of him and proceed to the second level on running plays; Does he slide/kick with the rusher on passing plays; does he look athletic when he moves, or more like a tree..........

To me, after watching this game...........he is long and athletic but his kick was straight back which seems odd to me? I mean a competant NFL DE/OLB will just use that natural momentum and push him right back into the QB, I would think?

Perhaps that was the way he was coached? Perhaps the Colts (and a lot of other teams apparently) saw enough athleticism/coachability in him to correct that flaw and turn him into a competant NFL Tackle?

Any thoughts from a former lineman or coach?

Hopefully he shows enough as the FO paid him a rather handsome bonus to secure his services!

I like what I've read about him, it appears the Raiders were also interested. Another one of those "potential" guys with all the physical attributes. He's relatively new to the position, sort of like Reitz, and that worked out better than anyone expected.

I have watched the replay of the Navy versus East Carolina and spicifically watched big number 79 (Steven Baker)...........

I will admit that I was a defensive back so I am not 100% sure on what to key on specifically for OLineman - other than the obvious: Does he block the guy in front of him and proceed to the second level on running plays; Does he slide/kick with the rusher on passing plays; does he look athletic when he moves, or more like a tree..........

To me, after watching this game...........he is long and athletic but his kick was straight back which seems odd to me? I mean a competant NFL DE/OLB will just use that natural momentum and push him right back into the QB, I would think?

Perhaps that was the way he was coached? Perhaps the Colts (and a lot of other teams apparently) saw enough athleticism/coachability in him to correct that flaw and turn him into a competant NFL Tackle?

Any thoughts from a former lineman or coach?

I'm played OL and DE in high school and DE in college. For one I haven't watched nothing on Baker but you have to take account the blocking scheme they run and what the defensive front shows on the play because you block plays different according to how the defense is lined up( whether it's a 40 tight or loose, 50, under, 60, bear) that's a few ways OL identify fronts on every play that's why u see guards and tackles pointing and stuff before the play, taking that in account that all tells you who you block on a specific play not always necessary the guy in front of you especially in a zone blocking scheme. But like I said I haven't watched any tape on him so I don't know too much about him

I was a Weak side DE(switched to the weak side every play and played the 5 tech) while the Strong side DE played the 3,4,and 5 techs in a 3-4 and a back up LT

I would switch every now and then between weak and strong side. I would copy Freeney and do the spin move.... unblockable!

Occasionally when they wanted more meat up front I would play OLB